Page 6 of 501 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Felt nostalgic last night and loaded up some GTA: San Andreas. Most recent savegame was 2011; oldest was 2005.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I wish I was young enough to feel nostalgic about a game that came out in 2004.

Although you're all of one and a half years older than Frunk. Going to assume you're not a particularly nostalgic person.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

2004 doesn't go back far enough; I was playing Medieval War at that time and living in Chicago. the modern era of gaming for me. I can still remember playing Pong on the TV and playing Atari 2600. I still remember the day we bought Pac-man. It was (if not the first) arcade game converted to a home entertainment center. My favorite game was Adventure. This is the 80s though. In the 90s, there was Techmo Bowl. This was college though. A few years back I had downloaded a PC version of the game. A real kick in the pants after playing Madden for years.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    I wish I was young enough to feel nostalgic about a game that came out in 2004.
    I'm nearly 30 and still feel nostalgic about san andreas and vice city.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm nostalgic for Donald Duck Quack Attack.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

I actually own a shirt just like this... favorite Disney Character growing up.

Of course, my second favorite is Elliot the dragon from Pete's Dragon. it is clearly my favorite Disney movie.
    It was a real thrill to see the float the last time I was at my last visit to the Magic Kingdom with my grand niece.
    Too many great songs from a great movie....

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie View Post
    Although you're all of one and a half years older than Frunk. Going to assume you're not a particularly nostalgic person.
    I am, but not for mid-2000s games. The games I usually feel nostalgic for came out in the 90s, maybe 2001 at the latest.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Game? Nostalgic?

"Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    I am, but not for mid-2000s games. The games I usually feel nostalgic for came out in the 90s, maybe 2001 at the latest.
    I feel nostalgic about starting WoW, and that was only in 2008. I guess it's about your experience of each game, too.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Nostalgia

That's you, the dot! You can stun the dragon by hitting (actually literally going through his neck from the back.
    There is a "sword" but it literally looks like this -->

This was an interesting game. The challenges were not that great, but figuring out the clues were the real challenge.

Pitfall

The graphics game a long way since Adventure where you were a "dot." You can land on the alligator's eye area, but anything else you were lunch.

Looking back on it, it seems we went from 4 to 54 bits in a blink of an eye, but I know better.

If you wonder why I do not complain about the graphics or animation, then you have to know I remember dudes that were dot and "real- looking" dudes that ran like ducks.

Tietonian's Avatar Laetus

I am amused by the reminiscences upstream. The first game I got was Total War: Rome II, in 2015... I spent my entire childhood reading about wars and battles so the Total War series seemed to be a good place to begin gaming. Just waiting for Attila and Napoleon to go on sale now...

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Both Napoleon and Attila can be pretty fun. You will probably enjoy them.
    I get nostalgia from something like KOTOR or Dragon Age. I used to get nostalgic for things like Metroid, Zelda and Mario but not so much anymore.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

I was the same way, I loved military history. My father was/ is still a Civil War dealer, though now, he also deals with American Revolution and the War of 1812. It wasn't long before I got my hands on a book called, Great Commanders and their Battles. I had a friend who's father was the "King" of a local Renaissance Festival Reenactor. Anyway, his father was into the box octagonal counter games. He got me into playing those games. I still remember him kicking my butt. I was so enthralled with it, I bought my own game; the battle Murfreesboro. We fought to a draw each winning a different flank on the board and stalemating int he center. It wasn't long before I received Conquest of Empire. Later I would get the famous Axis and Allies,(one about Japan, I can't recall the name, and even more Famous "Fortress America." (Hussein was on the original cover. He insisted it made him look evil and they removed his image, but I had the one with his image). I would later get into miniature wargaming, which ironically, is more accurate than anything CA has created. It is ashamed in the summer there is never a convention near me. When I was in high school I got another book called, Encyclopedia of Military History by Ernest Dupuy. I read this book cover to cover and I was really in Napoleon at the time. I did two high school projects about napoleon and he was my focus/ topic for a Historical Research class I took in college. The funny thing is I decided to buy ETW instead of NTW, because I liked the Campaign angle of ETW better.

A little anecdote. For the first lesson I ever taught (not for student teaching, before that), I was going to teach about the American Civil War. The textbook mentioned different battles, so I thought I would teach my passion for military history. Prepared the lesson and back then, we had overhead projectors. I popped in the projector the transparencies of battle maneuvers and tactics. 2o minutes in the whole class was sleeping except for on ROTC guy and the teacher who was laughing his butt off. Lesson learned. Most do not care and more importantly, you must interact with your students. For lesson two, I switched focus to what the soldiers endured on the campaign and they were riveted.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Both Napoleon and Attila can be pretty fun. You will probably enjoy them.
    I get nostalgia from something like KOTOR or Dragon Age. I used to get nostalgic for things like Metroid, Zelda and Mario but not so much anymore.
    I just got KOTOR (along with other old SW games) from the 75% off GOG.com sale going on right now. Trying to figure out how to get X-Wing Alliance to work with an Xbox One controller. Having thoroughly enjoyed the X-Wing novels I want a space dogfight (ideally SW) sim that works!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I played X Wing on the Gamecube years ago. Battle Front 2, KOTOR 1 & 2, Jedi Academy 1 & 2 were all pretty good too. Heck even Force Unleashed was pretty good if I remember correctly.

I didn't read much history or whatever until I was about 15. Though in high school I did a project on the Napoleonic Empire, another on the Battle of Waterloo and then read War and Peace.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    ...I got my hands on a book called, Great Commanders and their Battles...
    I think I checked that book out from the library at least twice a year between the ages of 10 and 15. The characteristic color plate from each battle, as well as the commanders themselves are burned into my memory.

I don't think I've ever been able to finish a game of Axis and Allies. Risk pushed the limit of how long the other players would persevere. Lord of the Rings Risk is actually my favorite because of the difficulty of the map. Controlling Arnor (what I always try to do) is sooo hard.

Haha. No one really cares about my tactical and strategic insights either. Even worse, I'm really interested in HEMA...

I was waiting for Pike to come in here and reminisce about the 80s.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Game? Nostalgic?

Still playing it. Still as fresh as day one.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Beware of the cliff-racer, my friend!
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.