Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Magistrate

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Glad
    Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    All the gladness here...

Is TWC hijacked by Strawberry Shortcake (Emily Erdbeer in Germany ^^) and friends?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    I wasn't very glad coming here, but it's hard to be moping around with all this gladness around here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I'm glad to see that Turk is very attentive and is able to notice all others who are glad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Glad to see you see him being glad about him being glad!
    Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Glad to see you being glad about him being glad!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Happy new Year Narf, always glad to see you pop by

Glad
    Last edited by Narf; January 04, 2021 at 03:20 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Derc View Post
    It's because you're a girl. However, I can see through you, vile succubus. I know that you secretly prefer Apfelstrudel instead. I may put some Knoblauch in it.

Pretty sure I will have nightmares today.
    Well then see you tonight.

Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Succubus are real, no kidding please

Sleep Paralysis/Cultural significance and priming
    Although the core features of sleep paralysis (e.g., atonia, a clear sensorium, and frequent hallucinations) appear to be universal, the ways in which they are experienced vary according to time, place, and culture.[9][34] Over 100 terms have been identified for these experiences.[19] Some scientists have proposed sleep paralysis as an explanation for reports of paranormal phenomena such as ghosts,[35][36], alien visits,[37] demons or demonic possession,[9][38] alien abduction experiences,[39][40] the night hag and shadow people haunting.[11][14]

According to some scientists culture may be a major factor in shaping sleep paralysis.[38] When sleep paralysis is interpreted through a particular cultural filter, it may take on greater salience. For example, if sleep paralysis is feared in a certain culture, this fear could lead to conditioned fear, and thus worsen the experience, in turn leading to higher rates.[9][38] Consistent with this idea, high rates and long durations of immobility during sleep paralysis have been found in Egypt, where there are elaborate beliefs about sleep paralysis, involving malevolent spirit-like creatures, the jinn.[38]

Research has found that sleep paralysis is associated with great fear and fear of impending death in 50% of sufferers in Egypt.[38] A study comparing rates and characteristics of sleep paralysis in Egypt and Denmark found that the phenomenon is three times more common in Egypt versus Denmark.[38] In Denmark, unlike Egypt, there are no elaborate supernatural beliefs about sleep paralysis, and the experience is often interpreted as an odd physiological event, with overall shorter sleep paralysis episodes and fewer people (17%) fearing that they could die from it.[34]

In Denmark, unlike Egypt, there are no elaborate supernatural beliefs about sleep paralysis, and the experience is often interpreted as an odd physiological event, with overall shorter sleep paralysis episodes and fewer people (17%) fearing that they could die from it.[34]
    That is wrong as germanic people in Germany or Scandinavia believed in the "Nachtmahr/Nachtalb".

According to the texts of old Scandinavian literature, these are people who can shift their "hugr" into another shape. “Hugr” is more than the soul in the Christian sense, it is the entire non-corporeal being of the human being, including his thoughts and desires.

In contrast to witches and other wizards, the Nordic mahr is always associated with “riding” and inflicting damage at dusk or at night. [2] Other spirits never ride. In the old Norwegian Christian rights, riding as a mahr is expressly made a punishable offense. "If it is proven that a woman rides a man or his housemates ..." it says in § 46 of the Christian law of the Eidsivathing. The possibility of changing shape as a Mahr and performing a Mahr ride is presented as a real possibility.

The Eyrbyggja saga from the middle of the 13th century is about the jealousy of the two women Geirrid and Katla. Likewise, in the Ynglinga saga, Vanlandi's death is attributed to a Mahr who was hounded at him by his abandoned wife in Finland, as he was just in Uppsala.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachtalb

So if Danes are less plagued by sleep paralysis than Egyptians it has something to do with a more stressless life / better psychological medicare than with superstition.

Finally Derc and i are not joking about people with sleep paralysis.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 04, 2021 at 05:02 AM.

Morticia, that is interesting stuff and I am glad that you shared it, but have you considered that there are quite remarkable cultural upheavals in between the ancient Germanic traditions, sagas and modern Danes? First Christianity, then the age of enlightenment and now the modern, scientifically and technologically developed society? Today most people go to fashion blogs and Instagram to fill their heads with useless cráp instead of listening to stories of demons and ghosts.

In contrast, many communities within the Islamic world harbor a lot of ancient superstitions. That is actually surprising from a European point of view, because Islam is similar to Christianity in many theological respects. In Europe, churches have traditionally worked hard to weed out pagan practices and beliefs entirely instead of allowing them to be incorporated into a wider theological framework.

Those Nachtalb/Nachtmahr belief survived in Christanity even till modern times.

Look at the esoteric movement and all those popular ghost / mystery TV shows, especially the US ones, which are about ghosts, demons and black shadow creatures, which shall choke their victims during sleep (aka what the Nachtmahr does ).

Superstition is still strong in western world despite Enlightment and industrial society.

Connecting a psychological problem to superstition is a easy way to overlook deeper socio-economic and personal problems.

For my taste this study is not convincing.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; January 04, 2021 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Connecting a psychological problem to superstition is a easy way to overlook deeper socio-economic and personal problems.

For my taste this study is not convincing.
    It is simply pointed out that depending on the culture in which it occurs, the experience, how you perceive what is happening, is different. It is not a study per se, it is just something obvious in my opinion; if I see a threatening figure at the door, I can think that it is evil personified (true story), a Catholic person will clearly see a horned devil, a Vietnamese person will see the corresponding figure in their culture.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

If any of you haven't read A Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan, then you definitely should. He goes into great detail about how a lot of our supernatural superstitions arise from "every day" occurrences like sleep paralysis and what not. Fascinating book.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

That sounds like a interesting reading.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Narf View Post

Glad

Hahaha I didn't even see those posts until now
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I'm glad to see that Turk is very attentive and is able to notice all others who are glad.
    I'm glad to see you being glad to see Turk being glad to others.

Blog Entries

I am not glad at all. I am pissed at you all actually.

Quote Originally Posted by AoRun View Post
    I'm glad to see you being glad to see Turk being glad to others.
    If there was a category called Most Glad to Others in the Member Awards, Turk would be my golden boy.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

That would be a great category and I'm not saying that because it would guarantee me a victory in every Member Awards. Not at all because of that.

BagaturSasha's Avatar Invictus
    Artifex

Blog Entries

Hi all. Happy Holidays.
    Last time, i started to be interested on ancient whales topic. In my work (i am journalist) i have an ability to realize my recent dream and go to ocean with some fishers, and then write a biggest article. Really want to swim with whales and see the deep in special costume. Maybe it sounds strange, but i love animals of our planet, and love something of extreme. So swim with wild whales would be awesome

Leader of the "Creative flame" studio.
    Author of the book "Legends of Moon Landscape"
    also author of the books "Fly", "Volcanorium" and other works too. Mostly specialized on fantasy.

https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?...r:BagaturSasha
    My Wiki page
    --

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Sounds like it would be a whale of a time *badumtss*
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by BagaturSasha View Post
    Hi all. Happy Holidays.
    Last time, i started to be interested on ancient whales topic. In my work (i am journalist) i have an ability to realize my recent dream and go to ocean with some fishers, and then write a biggest article. Really want to swim with whales and see the deep in special costume. Maybe it sounds strange, but i love animals of our planet, and love something of extreme. So swim with wild whales would be awesome
    What made you interested in ancient whales?

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Merry Christmas to all true believers

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Ancient whales have the best scrimshaw.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan