Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

That is my point. Imagine how many heads I've collected that I no longer see it as entertainment.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

See, AC Origins was extremely boring and bad. I played it in one of my procrastination phases, couldn't stand it though and stopped ~halfway through.
    Reservoir dogs on the other hand had vision. Sure, it was Tarantino's first movie and thus not very good, but still adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Patrician

The last of the Ass Creed games that I played was Unity. Quit halfway through because the story was a rehashed French novel about revenge and just wasn't that engaging. The history was more of a backdrop to that story, and that is what a lot of the games in this franchise feel like. So a cheap gimmick in other words. But I just got bored of repetitive video games as well, that is more my fault. Plus the game kept glitching out so I just couldn't keep playing.

Have not enjoyed a good Ass Creed since Black Flag as far as gameplay. The story was average, but much better than Ass Creed 3 and all that animus crap. The best story has to be Ass Creed 2 and Brotherhood, where as Revelations was a slightly weaker entry as far as just being really repetitive and the story not being as interesting as the second game.

It really feels as though the Ass Creed franchise has worn itself out. I never played Rogue or Syndicate, or even the newer ones. But seeing as they have one about Ancient Egypt and Romans, another one about Ancient Greeks, and now inexplicably one about Vikings as well. So yeah, only a matter of time before they end up with a Japan game (though I hear Ghosts of Tsushima has this covered), a China game, eventually a WW2 game which might as well be The Saboteur 2.

And lord knows what other unforsaken concept this tired series comes up with. Maybe a game set entirely in 2012, where you use the animus to avert the apocalypse. Or perhaps a deeply philosophical game where you have to kill God and then realize that your own existence is meaningless and you end up assassinating yourself. I mean in a way the series has actually killed itself and turned into fuel for many jokes. Nearly choked to death laughing when I saw the trailer for Ass Creed Origins.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Ass Cr didn't have a good story except maybe in the very first one. I say maybe, since I don't remember the story that well and also because I'm giving it slack.
    Ezio had a somewhat nice character arc where one would follow him from being a child to being an old man and a nice ending with Altair, but each game on their own had too much cheesiness. They never really bothered giving him a worthy opponent as such. Most of them were whiney. The stories had about as much depth as a Verdi-opera. And the "evil Byzantines want to take over a city that somehow only has Turks living in it even though the city was majority Greek until the industrialisation in the 19th century" plot was just horrible.
    Not only does AC always feature the ludonarrative dissonance between actual gameplay and cutscenes, which is pretty standard across most games, but it also has this weird ethical dissonance where they keep hammering on about "this game was made by people of ALL backgrounds" and "hey we're so progressive, we're against discrimination and all that" -> go on to write entire demographics out of their histories and make them the bad guys with zero nuance.

So I skipped everything after, but checked in with AC Origins again because I like the era, desperately wanted to procrastinate and whaddaya know?! Same , nicer graphics.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Campidoctor

But the Byzzies were evil and w(h)iney. There's a reason they were purple.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Black Flag good? I couldn't go past the tutorial about chasing some idiot in jungle.

So I skipped everything after, but checked in with AC Origins again because I like the era, desperately wanted to procrastinate and whaddaya know?! Same , nicer graphics.
    Odyssey's is even better and the beginning wasn't so bad.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I can't stand the Ass Creed games, but I have heard great things about Black Flag from everyone who has played it.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Black Flag has the best combat and decent stealth. Otherwise it's overrated.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Is any of these Assassin's Creed games worth the trouble for someone who does not like arcadey hack and slash gameplay?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

The later ones are hack and slash, the early ones are not.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I can't stand the Ass Creed games, but I have heard great things about Black Flag from everyone who has played it.
    Since Ass Creed 3 killed the franchise... basically just ignore that Black Flag is an Ass Creed game and pretend that it is solely a pirate game. The sea chanties in that were great, I still listen to it when I'm in the bathtub pretending to be sailor. Now the naval battles had a somewhat fast learning curve but if you have fast hands it should not be a problem to simultaneously maneuver your ship, and fire off the cannons. The whole thing is like a sandbox-open world type of arrangement so you can sail around attacking enemy islands and stealing treasure, almost at your discretion. Honestly it was a good idea, ignore that it is part of the franchise, it has elements of that narrative but they are just sort of there to tie together all of your quests.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I can't get past the animus parts. Total horse .

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    The later ones are hack and slash, the early ones are not.
    Thank you. That is an unfortunate direction to take a game series to.

I don't think I have ever enjoyed those melee-heavy fighting games. It becomes such a chore and repetitive. Not sure why shooters are more tolerable, but I am not even going to start playing something like Ryse, since I got bored of the melee grinding just watching a let's play video for a few minutes. I have tolerated the first two Witchers (didn't start the third one yet), though, but I would not wish them to have any more fighting than they do.

I thought I'd never see you folks and your cats again. The forum was down for quite a long while. Everything seems to work faster now, but that may be just due to lack of traffic until it picks it up again as people return. I hate to admit it, but I feel relieved that I haven't seen the last of this community.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Congrats on becoming an Australian lawyer.
    I've still gotta do a graduate diploma of legal practice from January-July next year, then I'll be a lawyer (probably an unemployed lawyer) haha.

Also time to settle this Tarantino dispute.

Django Unchained - The soundtrack is amazing and is what really makes the film transcend into godhood
    Inglorious - Boring as , I've never managed to rewatch it because the romance stuff is so . Christoph Waltz is great though.
    Reservoir Dogs - Pretty good, not amazing
    Kill Bill - Amazing. If you don't like blood splattering everywher 24/7 then you're a philistine.
    Hateful 8 - Alright, but I agree its fairly slow
    Once Upon a Time - . It should've been purely about the Manson family.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; November 21, 2020 at 04:42 PM.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

In these trying times TWC is all we have to keep warm.

Campidoctor

I am for mandatory masks and quarantine for the server; lowering the risk of this to ever happen again.
    #2020logic

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

NO! FREE TWC! QUARANTINE IS FASCIST SUPPRESSION!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

LIBERATE TWC!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Also time to settle this Tarantino dispute.

Django Unchained - The soundtrack is amazing and is what really makes the film transcend into godhood
    Inglorious - Boring as , I've never managed to rewatch it because the romance stuff is so . Christoph Waltz is great though.
    Reservoir Dogs - Pretty good, not amazing
    Kill Bill - Amazing. If you don't like blood splattering everywher 24/7 then you're a philistine.
    Hateful 8 - Alright, but I agree its fairly slow
    Once Upon a Time - . It should've been purely about the Manson family.
    I can watch Kill Bill, it is probably Tarentino's best film. But I found some of it to be really grating. Some of the fight choreography is so bad.

Inglorious Basterds is so awful. I cannot stress how it literally puts me to sleep. This guy was like hey you know what would be great... a WW2 movie that is also really boring. How do you screw up WW2? It could be anything, all you need is dudes running around shooting at things. Plus he promised it would be over the top funny, which it wasn't. The trailer was so deceptive. Django Unchained is closer to what I imagined Inglorious Basterds would be. Not that Django would have been better if it didn't have action and comedy. To me Tarentino is the blood splatter and comedy guy, if it isn't that it automatically becomes boring.