Page 26 of 501 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176126 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    You know we don't fight. We didn't fight when Napoleon came, we didn't fight when the Prussians came. We do have a about a dozen carnivalistic regiments, but they are mostly busy drinking, singing and dancing.
    You did fight when it was about the inheritence of the duchy of Limburg though.

Wait, a non- warlike German? Is that like an oxymoron?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Germans have not been warlike in 7 decades now. Who needs bullets when you have coins.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Well, yeah, they relearned well that power is in economics or relearned it. Like Prussian manufacturing Germany, the EU have elevated the Germans as the Kingpins of Europe.

Well, Cologne ended up fighting their own archbishop one time when he had the brilliant idea of converting to Calvinism.

During the War of the Spanish Succession they went on to be one of the few German states to side with France, which Louis greased the archbishop's palms for.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

The archbishop and the city of Cologne were two separate Imperial Estates from 1475 on (de iure) and from 1288 on (de facto, battle of Worringen), so it's no wonder the Colognians fought their archbishop. (The only foe worth fighting, probably.)
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdiad View Post
    Hey Money do you read Xianxia or Wuxia? Might be interesting ideas there for you.
    Wuxia is best watched in real films!

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

This is the main site for Xianxia translations despite the name. I'd recommend, Coiling Dragon, Desolate Era, I Shall Seal the Heavens. CD is the one that started this translation craze and DE and ISSTH are the top 2 ones IMO. ISSTH is a cut above the rest.

Patrician

This is amazing. Thanks!

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I forgot we have a Colognian here...

Time to restart the 30 Years War. Inkie, be ready.
    I hope we're the ones who get to sack Magdeburg this time. The Catholics had their fun
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

We can split the protestants between us this time, if you want. We'll take the calvinists and unionists, you can have the reformists and neo-evangelicals. We'll deal with the adventists jointly and Lutherans and Anglicans can probably be persuaded to join the right side.

After that we re-establish the pentarchy and then we'll have tea and cake around 5.

EDIT: missed that one:
    Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    You did fight when it was about the inheritence of the duchy of Limburg though.
    Limburg is worth fighting for, I heard.
    Last edited by Iskar; June 10, 2017 at 10:38 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I just came back from watching Wonder Women. Very good movie. One of the better super hero movies I have seen.

I had a serious crash on Linda Carter as a kid

The archbishop and the city of Cologne were two separate Imperial Estates from 1475 on (de iure) and from 1288 on (de facto, battle of Worringen), so it's no wonder the Colognians fought their archbishop. (The only foe worth fighting, probably.)
    It's interesting how such kinds of quirks were so commonplace in the empire, led to some really strange situations.

Cologne wasn't even the worst. Augsburg had three separate Imperial Estates: The bishop, the monastery of St. Ulrich, and the Citizenry of the upper city (mostly merchants and craftsmen). During the reformation things got even sillier, as the bishop and the monastery remained Catholic, the upper city converted to Lutheranism and the lower city (workers, petty craftsmen) to Calvinism.

Patrician

I watched that show as a kid. It was so cheesy that I had trouble watching it even then. As of late I have had nothing but criticism for the Wonder Woman franchise but this movie was actually pretty good.

Cologne wasn't even the worst. Augsburg had three separate Imperial Estates: The bishop, the monastery of St. Ulrich, and the Citizenry of the upper city (mostly merchants and craftsmen). During the reformation things got even sillier, as the bishop and the monastery remained Catholic, the upper city converted to Lutheranism and the lower city (workers, petty craftsmen) to Calvinism.
    And of course even the various lay domains held by princes often didn't favour primogeniture, so you had things like a Calvinist Hesse-Kassel constantly at odds with a Lutheran Hesse-Darmstadt, each holding a dislocated mess of territories nestled among one-another.

In hindsight I think it wass actually a concerted effort at a giant crowd-art project: An impressionist painting realised by forcing the mapmakers to paint it. Obviously Napoleon was no friend of Impressionism and decreed the end of the "dottiness".

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Wow border gore at its worst. That should be censored, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

Every time I start to try and make sense of that map, my brain hurts.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Wow. The church of Gabiete sure had lands all over the place. Not bad for a frenchman. My german sucks btw
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!