Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

That's about the ABV of Rum so that's not too bad, especially for that price. I've never had Soju before and I'm not sure if they have that over here in the states, especially in Tennessee, but it says on Wikipedia that it can range from 18% (like you said) up to around 50%. I don't know if they sell the higher proof stuff commonly over there but if I ever make my way to Korea I know exactly what I'm buying.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I wish I could avoid alcohol. But it's almost impossible living in Korea. Alcohol is available around every corner. And it's so cheap here. Imagine spending only two bucks to get totally wasted. All this makes alcohol so tempting.
    Eh, for a seemly alcoholic country here I have to buy all alcohol in a few government shops. They can't even deliver! The price is nice but very inconvenient and no try-out at shops. I'm basically buying all new ones blindly.

How come I didn't see anything in the Incheon airport btw? It was very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo1Bo1Sha3 View Post
    2018 was a rough year, how's 2019 for y'all?
    You mentioned about living in Sweden I recall?? I'm very close now (will visit for you soon ). Best year of my life and it will be even better when the riding school opens!

(I'd invite you to come if you can find a job here)

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Incheon Airport has soju, but not the cheap kind of course. It usually comes in fancy bottles for outrageous prices. Incheon Airport has amazing duty-free stores.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Soju is 20% and comes in 360ml bottles. 1 bottle costs around 1 USD. It looks like you're used to harder stuff, so you're gonna have to spend more than 2 bucks to get wasted. But it's still gonna be cheap.
    Assuming this is what you're talking about, thats like 9x more expensive in Australia. I think we've got really stupidly high prices for alcohol.
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...sul-soju-360ml

If I'm going to a party or something I'll generally grab this, but I don't drink otherwise.
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...-red-rum-700ml

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Incheon Airport has soju, but not the cheap kind of course. It usually comes in fancy bottles for outrageous prices. Incheon Airport has amazing duty-free stores.
    I like fancy bottles!

But I meant bars and Korean alcohol in restaurants. There was none I could see.

Soju is 20% and comes in 360ml bottles. 1 bottle costs around 1 USD. It looks like you're used to harder stuff, so you're gonna have to spend more than 2 bucks to get wasted. But it's still gonna be cheap.
    Isn't soju, vodka, etc. just different names for diluted ethanol/grain spirit?
    If it's been super distilled, I don't get why any is better than others except if a brand has impurities or additives.

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    You mentioned about living in Sweden I recall?? I'm very close now (will visit for you soon ). Best year of my life and it will be even better when the riding school opens!
    (I'd invite you to come if you can find a job here)
    I wasn't serious, I barely remember what I said.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Assuming this is what you're talking about, thats like 9x more expensive in Australia. I think we've got really stupidly high prices for alcohol.
    https://www.danmurphys.com.au/produc...sul-soju-360ml
    Yep, that's the one.

Isn't soju, vodka, etc. just different names for diluted ethanol/grain spirit?
    If it's been super distilled, I don't get why any is better than others except if a brand has impurities or additives.
    As far as I know, soju is made from sweet potatoes. At least that's how it was made in the 1960s and 70s. To me it's a very low quality liquor. I am not a fan of it.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

The more you learn about history the more you realize it's just a long series of people trying to make liquor out of different . And god bless them for their work, at that.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

I wasn't serious, I barely remember what I said.
    I had the idea when I was either drunk or daydreaming

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    The more you learn about history the more you realize it's just a long series of people trying to make liquor out of different . And god bless them for their work, at that.
    Is there any made of ? I recall horse alcohol was mentioned a lot in some movies. There are also real people drinking real camel ... might possible?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Without doing any research whatsoever on the subject I feel comfortable saying "yes" there is. I'm sure you could make liquor out of a rock if you tried to. Or, hell, even a potato maybe!

After the potato was introduced to Europe, it was commonly used to make alcohol. I believe Vodka is made from potatoes.

Interestingly, Koreans also make an expensive alcohol out of wasps. They ferment the wasps in a huge glass container that looks like a vase. When you drink it, you can see the dead wasp bodies on the bottom.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

The potato thing was a joke haha, Vodka is indeed made from potatoes . Koreans are ing crazy people and I have mad respect for anyone who would drink fermented wasps. Or even unfermented wasps for that matter. I do kind of want to try it though....

Vodka can be made from potatoes, although wheat is more common. But you can ferment anything that has significant sachharide content...and chitin is a sachharide. You could theoretically make alcohol from all insects, although I do not recall if anyone actually does that, beyond the wasps in Korea.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Vodka is weak. I have no idea why palinca never caught on further east.

Insect, and even feces, vodka is quite common in many a chep easter european drinking hole.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd have to be pretty drunk to drink alcohol made from an insect, which seems like it could end up being some kind of catch 22. I hate you all for making me think of insect-alcohol, but I hate diamat most of all because he is a birb.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

At least the insects are dead.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

So is it cheaper or more expensive to make alcohol out of something like a insect or snake? Like is something like that a delicacy or did it just arise from the locals not having as much access to traditional alcohol making methods?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Those alcohols are still alcohols without insect or snake. It's more like a flavor

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Those people are mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    So is it cheaper or more expensive to make alcohol out of something like a insect or snake? Like is something like that a delicacy or did it just arise from the locals not having as much access to traditional alcohol making methods?
    It's expensive in Korea. It is often given as a special gift. The best part is that the wasps are still inside the bottle. They don't disintegrate.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: