Page 10 of 501 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Lamont Cranston and Bruce Wayne are very similar. Where instead Bruce Wayne is traumatized by the death of his parents Lamont Cranston has major PTSD from his experience in the Great War as well as his more violent and psychotic dark side. Lamont travels to Tibet/Afghanistan and becomes a warlord where he sells opium. Bruce Wayne also goes east and joins the cult of Ras al-Ghoul. Where as Ras al-Ghoul trains Bruce in the ninja way or whatever Lamont is kidnapped by a powerful Buddhist Cleric who teaches him "the way" and turns him into some sort of Taoist/Buddhist master and unlocks his psychic powers. Using illusions and the power of fear and misdirection he returns to America and becomes a vigilante and millionaire playboy. While Bruce is forced to fight Ras al-Ghoul Lamont Cranston actually fights another powerful Asian psychic called Shiwan Khan (the descendant of Genghis) all while learning to control his fear and anger and master the magical dagger "Purba".
    OMG, some of these back stories. Vigilantes are generally not preferred method of crime fighting, so I get the extreme back stories. Still, sort of light the do good, care-free 60s versions.

Same back time, same bat channel

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I find Batman a little bit stupid in all honesty. It is hard to take a guy in a bat costume seriously. But even then his whole character of a frightening master of shadows is also against killing people and against using guns? Why wouldn't he use a gun? Does anyone actually expect me to believe that not saving Ras al-Ghoul in Batman Begins isn't murder? Has Batman never killed anyone by throwing knives and bombs at people? Did he never kill anyone while driving around town in his bat tank a blowing everything up? Do the dangerous criminals and mobsters not deserve to die, especially since they will most likely escape and kill tonnes of people again? Actually in the original comic Batman did use guns but they got rid of that aspect early on and decided that he wouldn't kill anyone. I find the Shadow a bit more interesting because not only does the Shadow not make excuses and actually shoots people but he has a pretty big kill count. Also since the Shadow is more aggressive and psychotic than Batman that actually gives him a reason to lash out. Much like Batman Begins, a key theme in The Shadow is fear but The Shadow also has anger as a theme. So for example Lamont has PTSD and psychic abilities which makes him angry and maybe even controlling. This causes him to try and force his will on the Purba dagger which fails utterly. Unlike Bruce who fears bats and the death of his parents Lamont is a bit more relate able in that his actual fears are more Human. Shiwan Khan for starters who is demonstrated to be stronger than him, his lack of self control and crisis of conscience and identity so that he doesn't know whether he is Lamont Cranston or the warlord Yin-ko and since the Shadow can change his face that further provides to the theme.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Are you seriously rationalizing and criticizing the lack of realism in some comic superheroes?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    Are you seriously rationalizing and criticizing the lack of realism in some comic superheroes?
    Yes.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

"Batman doesn't kill anyone, he just breaks their necks and leaves them lying face down in a puddle" - every internet intellectual, ever.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Patrician

Exactly. Wouldn't his bat knife or whatever kill people? I mean at that point he might as well use a gun.

I was watching The Dark Knight Returns and he actually kills some cops by lighting them on fire. Though that was supposed to be a darker and grittier more apathetic Batman where his only goal is to wipe out crime. Actually I think he even kills guys in Batman v Superman.

Blog Entries

Going from an idea to another I have ended up imagining Batman with his pants down (?) sitting in the toilet.

I leave you with that image. Good night, god bless you.

Patrician

From watching Birdman?

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Fartman?
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

(I've only watched the 3 Nolan Batman films and played 2 of the Batman Arkham games)
    Batman gets me irrationally angry lols. He's a bloody moral crusader so dedicated to never killing another person that he does more harm than good in my opinion.
    His entire character is based around the fact that due to his strict no killing policy, he is better than everyone and is the shining light of what can be good in Gotham.
    However despite this, of course these super criminals will just break free and continue killing people. It's kind of like Jack Valentine from Lord of War.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Valentine
    "The reason why I will delay you for every second of the permissible 24 hours is I'm delaying your deadly trade and the deaths of your victims. I don't think of it as taking a day away from you, but giving a day to them. Some innocent man, woman or child is going to have an extra day on this Earth because you're not free"
    In my opinion though Batman is just focused on the short term. I think I read in some wiki or something that Batman was once confronted with the Joker blowing up a set of apartment buildings, and Batman knew that since he refused to kill Joker all he could do was sift through the rubble and help those who survived, and he knew that's all he could do whenever one of the criminals killed people.

Now the premise for his refusal is that if he kills, he'll be just as bad as the rest of them, eg Harvey Dent in Nolan's The Dark Knight. That's a bloody stupid opinion though, the state can order executions and it's not thought that the executioner is evil or a villain. Now Batman is a vigilante, so it would be murder if he killed them.

Idk, it's just bloody stupid and Batman is a terrible moral crusader who is short sighted and useless. /end rant

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Just locked my keys in my car. I am at home, but obviously my house keys are on the same keyring and now I'm waiting for Roadside Assistance to come and let me into my car.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I am the proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

God damn it I just had my rep point from 2014 knocked off the list by a Rickroll.

This is my last exam question during this bachelor. I have until 11 to finish. It is currently 05.00. Coffee to the rescue.

4: The manuscript shows that Snorri's Edda and other grammatical literature belonged to the Middle Ages. It also shows a link between grammatical literature, including Snorr's Edda, and Edda-poems (here Rígsþula). Similar collections are also found in other manuscripts. Discusses how grammatical texts, Snorri's Edda and Edda-poems could play together and be perceived as one and the same main category in the Middle Ages.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] því að með lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi með ólögum eyða.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    To be honest, night time driving is not as dangerous as you may think unless you have night vision issues. The most dangerous time to drive is around the late afternoon where the sun sits very low in the sky. It creates a dangerous glare that can block your line of sight. I think it has been somewhat reduce with modern models, but it is something to keep in mind. A good set of sunglasses can reduce that problem.

The next most dangerous time is right after it starts raining. All of the oil on the streets float to the top and braking can be a challenge. The problem isn't you; it is the idiot who forgot that fact. Of course, I am not one to talk; I was ordered to take a defensive driving class to keep my license. I recall being late on time and the guy asked me why I was late. I told him I was practicing good defensive driving technique and it took me longer than I expected to get there. Thankfully, he was amused.
    You forgot to properly mention other drivers. I'm a cautious driver and I often drive at the actual speed limit or a little below, especially as there are lots of narrow streets where I live. Either way, most people seem to go above it. I thoroughly angered a few people today who tailgated me until I turned off into another street and they screeched away. I'm probably going to get in big trouble one day because I deliberately drove even slower just to annoy them, but in my defense it was raining. I hope to never be that dickhead in 20 years time who gets annoyed at people learning to drive. Confidence and skill in driving takes a long time and some older people seem to forget that.

Blog Entries

Why we have never heard about australian bread?

What kind of Australian bread?
    The traditional stuff called damper that is made by bushmen and tastes like , or normal bread? I like this bread, nice and huge slices.

Also, since we're on the topic of bread let's talk about Vegemite. The reason it has a bad reputation is that people are idiots and put s on their bread/toast because they want the Youtube views or whatever that'll come from gagging on the saltiness. You're meant to put a small amount on toast, along with butter/margarine. This much, NOT this much.
    I don't actually care that much about Vegemite though lols, I had to throw out a half-full jar yesterday because I haven't eaten any in ages and it was out of date by a few months =P
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 19, 2017 at 05:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    The traditional stuff called damper that is made by bushmen and tastes like , or normal bread? I like this bread, nice and huge slices.

Also, since we're on the topic of bread let's talk about Vegemite. The reason it has a bad reputation is that people are idiots and put s on their bread/toast because they want the Youtube views or whatever that'll come from gagging on the saltiness. You're meant to put a small amount on toast, along with butter/margarine.
    Caligula the Mad, I hereby declare you one of us, Devian.

So that's how you become a Devian, you go on a rant about Vegemite and Australian bread.
    I guess it's time to All hail mishkin

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    And how about fairy bread? First time I heard about it I didnt know how to react, since you dont really think about putting sprinkes on a bread. Is it actually delicious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Fair enough about your family values preventing you from drinking, my family values prohibit me from not drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Vissewalde rex de Gerzika View Post
    And how about fairy bread? First time I heard about it I didnt know how to react, since you dont really think about putting sprinkes on a bread. Is it actually delicious?
    Oh god lols I haven't had fairy bread in over 10 years ='( It is pretty delicious.
    It's just plain white bread with some margarine on it and these sugary sprinkles called Hundreds and Thousands. The sprinkles kinda crunch, but also kinda melt in your mouth. Lets talk about Australian sweet stuff now, bread is boring =P

- Lamingtons are tiny little bite sized sponge cake thingies with a light layer of chocolate all around, and then dipped in coconut. They're pretty great.

- ANZAC biscuits are oatmeal, honey, coconut and golden syrup-y biscuits. I prefer them with a nice crunch to them, but some people prefer them to be slightly moister and chewy. ANZAC refers to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps from World War 1, specifically the Battle of Gallipoli. The ANZAC spirit is a big part of Australian culture, and is about sticking up for your mates. We have a dawn service every ANZAC day on the 25th of April. This is one of the most important days.

Hmm I'm out, maybe Niles or one of the other Aussies can think up something else.

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Hey know who made you King.