Blog Entries

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

He had trouble cause he was blind

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Perhaps they mainly misbehave in foreign countries. My uncle recently told me a story about sitting next to a Chinese woman on an airplane. The Chinese woman was eating an apple, but she didn't like the peel. So she bit off, piece by piece, the outside layer of the apple, spitting the pieces into a plastic bag.
    This is mild! They eat shell fish with the shell, the swoosh it around their mouth and then spit out the shell. They do the same thing with meat with bones. The eat noodles like a conveyor belt and eat with their mouth open. They think Westerners are uncouth for touching food with their hand. They wear plastic gloves to eat pizza and burgers. Apparently, french fries are ok to touch. I do my best not to watch them eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Didnt the Chinese government once have to tell it's tourists that it wasn't acceptable to just in the street in Western countries?
    In LEDCs it is not at all uncommon for people to urinate in public. I have only seen someone do "#2" in public once. He did it on the side of a busy road too. No Shame. Anyway, Chinese are notorious bad travelers. They earn points for bad behavior and if you accumulate too many points they won't you travel (at least using public transportation) and you may be denied entry to tourist sites (this includes beaches). Chinese also only like to eat Chinese. I vacationed with my mother in law and while in Thailand she wanted to each at the same Chinese restaurant every single day. While vacationing in Sri Lanka, my wife had booked a driver through a Chinese app. This guy every single meal," For.... I know this great Chinese restaurant. I said we are in Sri Lanka, what about Sri lankan food. He looked at me like I was the crazy one.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

To be honest 35-40 years ago Germans travelled to Jugoslavia, Italy and Spain in holiday, only to eat there their Wiener Schnitzel with french fries.

I remember, that my parents avoided to meet other Germans in holiday as far as possible...

Such behavior can change with time.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Why is German restaurant culture so terrible and monotonous? Most restaurants serve the same thing, especially the damn Schnitzel with french fries. And often it tastes worse than home-made Schnitzel. I get it, if I want variety, then I can go to an Italian restaurant or whatever. But I'm in Germany, yet the restaurants serving German food lack any sense of creativity in preparing their own national foods.

I've only been back in Germany for a year, but my disillusionment grows by the day. This country sucks.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

If I have to be honest in the past 15 years I've noticed an improvement in the general quality and creativity of the German restaurants, if anything the problem there is with the culture of food and with the service. If you don't see eating as the sacred moment of the day and the waiter will keep standing at your side to take out your dish the moment you put down your fork, you can serve me even the best food in the world, I won't never be happy with the overall experience.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Bork! Bork! Bork!

Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Yes, don't even get me started on the service! To think that some of the service staff actually study gastronomy in school. You can learn more about gastronomy working in an American restaurant for a week than you can studying at a German gastronomical institute for a year.

I noticed this when I lived in Berlin. I asked. I was told that when Germans go out they normally do not eat German food because what they make at home is better. Consequently, most German restaurants are high end type places. Where I lived there was one close German (Bavarian) restaurant. A little further away was a more expensive one. We would normally go to this giant German restaurant.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

I have an Indian, a Japanese, a Tibetan, a Galician, a Spanish, a Portuguese, several Turkish and Italian restaurants within 10 minutes walking distance. Is there a reason to look for a specifically German restaurant?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Honestly i would prefer a non german restaurant too. You would compare the german restaurant always with the food of Mama. The restaurant can only loose. ^^
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; February 26, 2021 at 10:43 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

To be fair germans are not exactly known for the cooking talent.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

It's funny though. Because when I was young, all I can remember is my parents taking me to German restaurants. I think in the countryside there are less options; people usually go to the local tavern or restaurant, especially because they know the owners (went to school with them, etc).

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Is there a reason to look for a specifically German restaurant?
    BRATWURST

And people with a humor so bad it is funny again.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

"Und für den Herrn würde ich vorschlagen... aus dem Fenster geworfen werden? Mit sautierten Kartoffeln?"*

*And for the gentlement I'd suggest... being thrown out of the window? With sauteed potatoes?
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Well generally it really depends. There are those German restaurants that just serve a lot of mediocre food but at least in my midsize German hometown a lot of classy ones serving very good food. Once I get far enough into the mountains, the choice of nonnative cuisine even ceases to exist. Plus there's a charm to "all food was made locally". Except that I'm not much of a fan of "Gutedel" wine.
    But since I eat plenty of ethnic food in Denmark, when I'm south I might as well eat Allemannisch.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

my favorite german food is cabbage soup

Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Ew

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I love cabbage soup. And potato soup. And lettuce soup. And bread soup. And french turnip soup. And string bean soup.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

@Akar: You should try pea soup with a little shot vinegar.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

i wouldn't want to adulterate the flavor of the peas with anything