Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I love cabbage soup. And potato soup. And lettuce soup. And bread soup. And french turnip soup. And string bean soup.
    Add lentil soup (with smoked sausage) and french onion soup (with a piece of cheese covered bread floating on top).
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Beef soup with Bone Marrow Dumplings
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; February 26, 2021 at 05:01 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Now I'm hungry.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I only eat soup when I am sick. Come to think of it, I hate being sick because I can't eat "real" food. In New Orleans we have a expression Most eat to live, but we live to eat.
    18 months and counting without real New Orleans food.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

German potato soup spiced with lots of oregano. No milk or butter. Wieners added in the end.

Or: East German pea soup (People's Army Soup).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That looks simple. Perhaps i will cook it.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    German potato soup spiced with lots of oregano. No milk or butter. Wieners added in the end.

Or: East German pea soup (People's Army Soup).
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I didn't know the NVA had access to such exotic luxuries like "Oregano".

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Majoran (German oregano) ain't that luxurious. I'd argue it's the most important spice in German cuisine. Many potato-based dishes use it. Stews and soups definitely use it.

In the Anglo-Saxon world, they used to use a lot of nutmeg in their cooking. It seems like Americans no longer use it much. I guess basil is the national spice of the Italians. For Koreans it is red chili powder. Don't know what the French use.

ahhhh I just came back from hiatus

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Folks, I'm seriously dissapointed in you. Go write some stuff up for Tale of the Week. Now.
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

(...)
    In the Anglo-Saxon world, they used to use a lot of nutmeg in their cooking. It seems like Americans no longer use it much. I guess basil is the national spice of the Italians. For Koreans it is red chili powder. Don't know what the French use.
    All kind of herbs (chives, basil, parsley ...), leaves (coriander, laurel, thym ...) and spices (pepper/chillies, paprika, curry, curcuma ...). It really depends on people tastes
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Ah yes, our eclectic French friends. The masters of assimilation.

Why is German restaurant culture so terrible and monotonous?
    I have never given it thought, but now that i really think of it, I don't remember any of the meals I have had in Germany. I remember a meal or several meals from every other country I have been.

Germany in other terms has always been to me the least interesting major country in Europe, and I stopped going to German classes in high school before the first year was over (never quit on another subject). I took Italian instead.

I must say that some interest has kindled now that I have been around this forum and read interesting posts by Germans and those familiar with the culture. I find it valuable to spend some virtual time with people of similar personal interests from all over the world and share insights into our cultures. Thanks to all who contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    If you don't see eating as the sacred moment of the day and the waiter will keep standing at your side to take out your dish the moment you put down your fork, you can serve me even the best food in the world, I won't never be happy with the overall experience.
    This. Eating should, whenever circumstances allow, be a time of relaxing, socializing, and enjoyment. I do not want to go into a non-fast food restaurant for quickly wolfing down some generic chow in an eat and get out mentality.

One thing I particularly despise is when in professional life a group of people have casual lunch together (not a business lunch with customers) and there is this one person who always turns the lunch into a serious meeting that only a few in the lunch party have any personal investment in. We are supposed to enjoy food and talk about life, tell jokes and laugh, and have some good time before we return back to work. Not to discuss what should be done about that Putain and Scheisskopf Partners deal that most in the present company have no specific interest in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    And lettuce soup. And bread soup.
    I did not expect lettuce soup and bread soup to be things at all. Genuinely surprised to read that.
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; February 27, 2021 at 05:11 PM.

It is settled then, I will open up a company and call it Putain and Scheisskopf Partners. Its main field of business will be producing and distributing lettice and bread soup.

Hmm, probably i should establish a Green Sauce Company, which could make green sauce with potatoes to gold... ehm i mean bring joy to the world...

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    It is settled then, I will open up a company and call it Putain and Scheisskopf Partners. Its main field of business will be producing and distributing lettice and bread soup.
    I think that if you go for the french market, you'll need to change that name. The 1st word has a "specific" meaning in French
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I'm pretty sure that's a breach of the ToS. Strike him down Moderators!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

He cursed not just in one, but even TWO languages. Though I have to say if I hadn't known him to be a downstreamlander before I do so now.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I think that if you go for the french market, you'll need to change that name. The 1st word has a "specific" meaning in French
    I was quite aware of that. The German part is not much more charming.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

He cursed not just in one, but even TWO languages. Though I have to say if I hadn't known him to be a downstreamlander before I do so now.
    Double the crime, double the time. We'll behead Iskar once, sow his head back on and do it all over again.