Thread: Vet advice

Default Vet advice

There are better places to reach out for advice on this but frankly I'm desperate since nothing has worked - does anyone have any advice for how to administer drugs/pills to cats? pill pockets don't work, and half the time disguised stuff in food doesn't work. thanks,

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Default Re: Vet advice

How old is your cat and what is the condition?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

So, I assume you're giving Oscar pills and not squirting a syringe into his mouth? Lily fractured her pelvis recently and I had to grow adept at getting her to take medicine.

With pills, I found that taking a piece of raw chicken and cutting a small slit into the chicken into which I insert the pill and giving that to her got her to eat the pill. Alternatively you could cover it in gravy or something. Worst case you can hold his mouth open and drop the pill into there. He won't be pleased, but he'll swallow it - especially if you keep his mouth facing up and don't give him a chance to spit it out. If you do that last method, I recommend utilizing the Cat Burrito. It's a simple method where you grab your cat with a blanket and swaddle him or her, leaving only the mouth exposed, then pry their mouth open while they can't scratch you and administer it that way.

With syringes, I would just grab her and force her mouth open and squirt it inside. She didn't like it and would mope for an hour or two after but she got over it. If you have to you can employ the aforementioned (and copyrighted) Cat Burrito trick before prying the mouth open, but Lily never scratches me so I didn't have to resort to that method with her.

I've found that the best time to do it is when they've recently fallen asleep, that way they're sort of lethargic and less likely to fight back.

Hope everything is okay with Oscar.
    Last edited by Akar; August 19, 2021 at 07:55 PM.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Make a small ball out of spreadable liverwurst, then hide the pill in it. Works with most cats auf dogs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverwurst
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; August 19, 2021 at 11:13 PM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

^that pill suggestion worked flawlessly, thank you!

Ok so burritoing is not working, he is just too skittish. Spiking pills with gravy seems to be working. The issue is that the health problems are being caused by his selective food preferences and I need to encourage him to broaden his horizons between 4-5 different meat sources since he is an entirely indoor car. Sheba (brand) is not accomplishing this. Is there a brand I can supplement which is a blend where I know he will get his blended nutritional needs?

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Are you feeding him wet food or dry food? It might be easier to get him eating a sufficient variety of meats if you switch him to a dry food. The dry food I use (Meow Mix) has chicken, turkey, salmon and "ocean fish" in it. I'm pretty sure most of the wet food I've seen has been just one type of meat at a time, typically. If he doesn't like eating dry food you can try putting some fish oil or veggie oil on it or getting it damp with water.

That's what is ing him up on the wet food.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I'm no vet, obviously, but it sounds like he needs to start eating dry food, as much of a picky little as he is.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I'm feeding my three cats with a mix of dry food (Whiskas Lamb) in one bowl and wet food, which changes every day in the week (Mine prefer wild, beef, chicken/turkey, salmon, trout).

But now the bad news: you must test, which food he likes. I went to every drug store, supermarket and looked after the house brand, which has no sugar, dyes, artificial flavors, preservatives (lol, sorry in german this has a second meaning).

Personally i like wet food in form of pate, as cats are tending only to lick up the sauce otherwise.

My cats are not fans of the mega common cat brands, but perhaps yours. So you should test, test, test.

You can't buy this in US, but my preferred chain of drug stores in Germany has its own brand

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I guess this must similar in the US, every bigger chain of supermarket has it owns pet brands, as people are buying willingly things for their pet.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

I'm doing a surf/turf mix now. I am giving him fish once per day and beef/chicken once per day to try to keep all the aminos up. His caloric intake from all sources is fine. Friskies and sheba seem to be ok, but let me know if I should expand my brand options. My cat can't have dry food due to dental issues unless I soak it (which I'd prefer not to do...)

I've been told chicken hearts are a good addition to cat diets, anyone have any knowledge?

I hope your cat found a way to see the good in foods it is angry at.