Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Dudeism is for privileged normies to enjoy being normies.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Don't get why Big Lebowski has such a following. Saw it, didn't get it, and was somewhat disappointed. Don't get what the big deal is.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

It took me like three times before I finally liked it but now it's one of my favorite movies. It's important to be drunk and/or stoned with friends while watching it at 3am to get the most enjoyment out of the movie.

The Big Lebowski deserves its status.

BTW does anyone know a good M2TW mod that has a small, detailed campaign map? Like The Last Kingdom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I usually don't talk much about my private life here, but damn, I feel like venting a bit.

Today I gave a talk at a South Korean government entity about my research. Afterward we went to some fancy restaurant, had expensive food, but there was hardly any conversation going on! And this was not the first time this has happened to me in Korea. Koreans can be so awkward. They just eat, look at their phones, and don't try to make conversation. I especially wanna ask people like Inkie and Pike, who have lived in East Asia, if they have similar problems during important meetings. I'm really starting to despise high-level meetings. It's especially difficult because I'm usually one of the youngest, and thus I'm not expected to initiate conversations too much. I try, but I can tell when no one is really interested in talking. So I'm pretty happy whenever there happens to be another Westerner in the group, because then I can talk about interesting topics, etc, without any formalities.

Ok, I stop here.
    I've never been to an important meeting.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Quote Originally Posted by King Athelstan View Post
    Ah, but what of dudettes?
    How is it possible? I suppose there can be exceptions, but as soon as they become your girlfriend, they cease to be dudettes and become the ZEOLLA that they are.

Patrician

It isn't a bad movie... But why is it such a good movie. Seems like the average 90's stoner/cult movie to me. Wouldn't surprise me if Kevin Smith directed it. Well no, Kevin Smith isn't capable enough.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Time to make a bit of clarity here, if you gents don't mind

first, TBL: it's a nice movie, someone calls it a masterpiece, someone compares it with Mike Myer's movies.. I guess it all depends on how much you like Cohen brothers, once again, someone thinks they are geniuses, others say they are just making silly movies.. However, I personally found the movie quite funny, it is certainly funnier for those of young age who uses (or used ) marijuana, but in my opinion the movie is not really addressed to them, not specifically at the least.. it's a movie of protest, hidden behind a veil of humor, protest versus the stressful standards and rhythms of the modern society and a protest against alienation of those who do not fall in line with the social rules; it's a movie about consequences of such stress (the nihilists) and about how are the weakest who pay for everybody (Donny's death). It has a great cast ( Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore e John Turturro, plus other ones in secondary roles) and that helped to make it a successful movie (Turturro role's is very limited, but well his Jesus is one of the best characterized and acted characters ever, IMO).
    However, I'm not a movie critic and I don't want to seem to be supporting the political stance that the movie is offering, but to me it's a great movie, the more if you place it in the right moment when they shot it. Just to mention, the character of the Dude is inspired to Jeff Dowd.... definitely a controversial man himself, he is a perfect son of his age, IMO.

second, about Dudeism; while the character of Jeffrey Lebowski inspired the Dudeism, it is basically all about Taoism and other eastern philosophies, that two smart guys mingled with that character to make it an "american thing".. Dudeism is in fact pretty much american, in both positive and negative acceptations (just click the link in my signature) and has a strong commercial component that is typically american as well. I don't mind much about the Dudeism main current (I'm not registered to their main fora for example) and I avoid like a plague any political discussion related to that (which again pertains mainly to the US politics), but I value a lot the concept of "abiding", to which I've added the idea of "helping" (I'm part of the FB group and I post there every once in a while to talk about abiding or to help people at need).. Honestly, I don't think that one could really identify a single current within Dudeism, and that's what makes this "religion non-religion" so great.. it does not matter what you do to abide, the important is that you abide.
    Call it a simplistic interpretations of eastern old philosophies, basically you have the perks of having goods hints and tips about how to live a happy life, but without all the deep thinking of those philosophies... once again, very much american (no offence intended of course).. as for me, I had a lot of deep thinking in my life, which did me little good, so yeah, Dudeism suits me perfectly nowadays..in other words: it dude, let's go bowling!
    Last edited by Flinn; May 13, 2019 at 04:55 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    How is it possible? I suppose there can be exceptions, but as soon as they become your girlfriend, they cease to be dudettes and become the ZEOLLA that they are.

Wise words. Beware the trickery of ZEOLLA, for she is treacherous and misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkie View Post
    BTW does anyone know a good M2TW mod that has a small, detailed campaign map? Like The Last Kingdom.
    Tsardoms, Planet War, Broken Crescent.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; May 14, 2019 at 11:12 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Wasn't there a nice mod about the Thirty Years War by Gigantus as well? I can't recall the name.

Senator

@Diamat: "1648-Thirty Years of War". To be found under: M2TW: Kingdoms Hosted Modifications

@Inkie: Tried "The Italian Wars"? We were never able to make the things possibe we wanted after Aneirin left, but its a very playable (and addictive) pike and shot mod.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Here's my Steam account if any of ya wanna add me. I don't have much time for gaming these days though ='(
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/Keedligula/

Also I like the posts Akar, keep em up they bring a bit of life to the TD

Ewwwww. You bought Imperator.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

Hold up, Planet War? If that is what I think it is I remember watching that insane on “WIP Mods” yeeeeeearssss ago. He actually ended up finishing it?
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

I have no idea. Saw it on youtube, looked interesting.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

It ended!

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Planetwars map is absolutely massive, and well worth playing
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

THERA: Legacy of the Great Torment looks kinda similar as well. https://wiki.twcenter.net/index.php?..._Great_Torment

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Don't get why Big Lebowski has such a following. Saw it, didn't get it, and was somewhat disappointed. Don't get what the big deal is.
    Movies, especially cult movies, are in the eyes of the beholder. I never liked the movie.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Commissar Caligula_ View Post
    Here's my Steam account if any of ya wanna add me. I don't have much time for gaming these days though ='(
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/Keedligula/

Also I like the posts Akar, keep em up they bring a bit of life to the TD
    This new one is dedicated to you babe.

Patrician

I don't hate Big Lebowski. Saw it once and didn't really want to see it again. It was entertaining enough. Just don't see what the big deal is that the film has a following or is considered great etc etc.