And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

We all love him
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The Communist Bunga Bunga. Everybody shares his woman with Silvio.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo1Bo1Sha3 View Post
    As a Finn, do you think the Swedes mature and age really quickly?
    I haven't noticed that and haven't heard anyone else make the observation. Their pale skin probably ages badly if they move south (like Spain) and like sunbathing. How did you come by that?

I've seen Swedes and a few Norwegians, on my social media when younger a friends graduation photo showed and they all looked like fully grown men, and now I took a look again they all look at least 10-15 years older than other Europeans their age. This is like those old photos of our grandparents where it seemed people aged faster than now.

Edit:

https://www.boredpanda.com/past-youn...mpaign=organic
    Relevant link

I don't think it's only lifestyle. I've never heard anyone say the Danes or Finns look older, yet Danes like to eat and drink.
    Last edited by Bo1Bo1Sha3; January 26, 2021 at 11:19 AM.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Interesting stuff and thanks for the link. What I have observed though is that people are incredibly subjective when judging other people's age. Even to an annoying degree, and I think that they operate mainly on a subconscious level. There also might be national differences at work; one nation may display either innate characteristics or manners of dress and grooming at young age that are common for mature people in your culture.

Swedes probably drink much less than most other European nations (that can be determined with some accuracy) and my personal experience is that they are generally quite skinny. On the other hand, many see them as quite neat dressers, which may give young people a mature look if you come from a culture where young adults like skateboarding shoes, baggy shorts and baseball caps.

As for the subjective qualities, let's say that if you grow up around a family and family friends that do not lose hair or lose it a late age, you may greatly overestimate the age of someone who is balding at 25 or so. At any rate, while lifestyle certainly plays a role, it seems that much of perceptual aging is caused by genetic factors. I've seen a few who like the drink and the not so healthy foods and do no sports but have been quite baby faces pushing forty.

The link you posted is interesting, but it is also the very definition of cherry picking. I bet you could come up with a lot of examples like that from present populations.

Edit: smoking is also by a wide margin less common in Sweden than elsewhere in Europe. Check this out:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ean-countries/
    Last edited by Septentrionalis; January 26, 2021 at 12:41 PM.

The pictures that you linked to, obvious jokes aside, seem to confirm some of my suspicions. Being overweight, having hair loss or facial grooves that some develop at a later age while others have from early adulthood all seem to be interpreted as signs of aging. Keeping thinning hair and possibly a comb-over and combining it with a moustache will make you look older to an unanalytical observer even if your skin is still young. Do away with the moustache, shave your head or wear a baseball cap and presto, in their judgment you just lost 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'm not Italian, I am Italy

Spoiler for I HAVE A STATUE
    Oh , it explains so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    The pictures that you linked to, obvious jokes aside, seem to confirm some of my suspicions. Being overweight, having hair loss or facial grooves that some develop at a later age while others have from early adulthood all seem to be interpreted as signs of aging. Keeping thinning hair and possibly a comb-over and combining it with a moustache will make you look older to an unanalytical observer even if your skin is still young. Do away with the moustache, shave your head or wear a baseball cap and presto, in their judgment you just lost 15 years.
    Out of curiosity I googled graduation pics from the Scandinavian countries to compare, (I also googled my question, I found a forum post where they wondered the same thing) The Danish ones didn't seem atypical (to me); the Swedish and Norwegian ones looked like the people in them were maturing early.
    You are correct, different dress and behavior is true, but I suspect people who look older act older.
    But most countries have dialect and regional differences, I can't generalize, the photos could all come from a few cities.
    I'm in HK now, (I'm half HK), people have different personalities, appearance, and fashion-sense literally within a kilometer of each other.

Thanks for going into great detail with the reply, you are an analytical thinker and a good observer.
    Last edited by Bo1Bo1Sha3; January 26, 2021 at 08:56 PM.
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

"汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I mean... I find that boys mature late. They can look like kids when deep in their 20s. Not me of course, my hairline started receding before I was even allowed to vote.
    Girls are just really hard to judge at times. Especially in Denmark it's almost a uniform. White shoes, black trousers, same hair, same make-up. It's really hard to tell the age.
    Both of these things hold true globally, but I find it easier in other parts of Europe than in DK.

As for the later aging, it really depends on the lifestyle people live. Genetics still has a role of course but not as dominant as before. In general, people living unhealthy or unhappy age faster than people that do sports, eat and live healthy and happy lives. Now, have I answered your questions in a timely and satisfactory manner? If so, give me a 5 star on yelp pls and a rep here. It really helps my algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    The Communist Bunga Bunga. Everybody shares his woman with Silvio.
    Ius Prime Silvio
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I wonder what will Italy do once he is not more. He is 84 years old now.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

If it was up to me, I would be embalming him and put him into a transparent coffin; then I would be setting a huge mausoleum around it, all set up with screens passing the most iconic moments of his life, documentaries about his history, etc. Everything should be done to keep his memory for the eternity

Though, honestly, those who love him will bring him in their hearths forever

Spoiler for embalmed with this expression
    Last edited by Flinn; January 27, 2021 at 06:56 AM.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    I wonder what will Italy do once he is not more. He is 84 years old now.
    Once he's no more, Italy will be no more

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

And if Italy makes a clone from him like Kahless, the first Emperor of the Klingon Empire?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    And if Italy makes a clone from him like Kahless, the first Emperor of the Klingon Empire?
    Berluschless, the first Emperor of the Mediolanum Empire

damn, that sounds awesome

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

And how entertaining politics would be, if the chancellor would be determined by duells with the bat'leth.^^
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day

They already have the Coloseum. Perfect venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Though, honestly, those who love him will bring him in their hearths forever
    Sounds like tough love. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearth

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Put his brain in a jar and install it into a giant mech before he dies seems like the obvious answer.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.