Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Of course it does! When is the last time you bought something which isn't about money or attention grifting eh? You don't need clothing, cars or ice cream. In fact you don't need to attempt extending life either and might as well give covid a chance to evolve.
    Elon didn't innovate in either of those three. That's because those work.

Why you keep pretending that Elon ever actually created something I do not get.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Long life batteries and SpaceX?

Why are you so against him considering the majority of businesses have zero positive impact to our future?

Citizen

Long life batteries? You mean like when he pronounced the batteries (after 9 years of work!!!) to have 50% more power and he'd simply made them 50% bigger?

Space-X the company that is cheap simply because it runs on government welfare, for the most part only repeats what others have done before, announces extremely stupid stuff like earth to earth rocket flights, and with its Starlink has taken to pollute our skies as well as our athmosphere simply to create numbers to impress shareholders with?

Tell me how exactly is blasting thousands of satellites into space having a positive effect when they block out the observation of space with their light pollution as long as they are operating, and are likely to turn the satellite orbit into a space junk death field with thousands of space X parts guaranteed to shred future satellites once that snowball effect really starts going? The best part about it is that the same job, at slightly higher ping, can be performed by 3 (!) satellites.

I hate the guy the same way a medical doctor hates a homeopath. Except homeopaths at least get the placebo effect, so they have SOME positive effect. Elon grifts money away from and abuses the true innovators. His impact on our future (and present) is negative all the way round.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; July 27, 2021 at 06:18 AM.

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Okay you win! I gonna drink all my alcohol and cry in sleep since there is no hope left!

Citizen

Or, you know, just don't hype anyone and invest in true innovators and engineering firms that have actual solutions, not false promises, who promise what is feasible and deliver on that. People who don't have narcicist and sociopathic character traits, who don't screw their workers and their environment.

Crazy idea, I know. There's tons of innovation and research going on. It just tends to be too boring for the casuals.

Imagine High speed rail being pursued by the venture capital firms, rather than the ridiculously stupid hyperloop, which Elon Musk didn't invent btw. The idea has been around for over a hundred years ago. Even then people quickly realised how stupid it was, except for people like Elon and his fans. But because people like you prefer "hope" we get neither hyperloop (because it will never be feasible) nor high speed rail across Europe (because the money went to hyperloop instead).
    Last edited by Cookiegod; July 28, 2021 at 06:21 AM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

How do you know hyperloop can't succeed?

Launching rocket to the moon was stupid too.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Physics

Launching rocket to the moon was stupid too.
    lol what?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Citizen

No.

EDIT: Gosh darn I got ninja'd. Kar go back to bed dammit!

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I AM THE MOON
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

If women are always right, why do they keep picking the wrong men?
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Citizen

pity.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

If men are only looking at inner values of women, why are the always choosing the big breasted, 20 years old, blond ones?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    In addition to the many technical and safety obstacles, it is also facing competition from more feasible technologies. I remember reading that the Japanese had some successful manned test runs of something 600 km per hour using magnetic levitation technology, that has none of the downsides of putting people in a vacuum tube.

Of course, that does not equal your question of hyperloop not succeeding in technical terms, but there might be less incentive to put great effort into the uncertain prospect of hyperloop succeeding if other technologies can offer the same outcome easier.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    If men are only looking at inner values of women, why are the always choosing the big breasted, 20 years old, blond ones?
    The bigger the breasts, the more room for the heart as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    In addition to the many technical and safety obstacles, it is also facing competition from more feasible technologies. I remember reading that the Japanese had some successful manned test runs of something 600 km per hour using magnetic levitation technology, that has none of the downsides of putting people in a vacuum tube.

Of course, that does not equal your question of hyperloop not succeeding in technical terms, but there might be less incentive to put great effort into the uncertain prospect of hyperloop succeeding if other technologies can offer the same outcome easier.
    Where to start...
    • Generally the type of propulsion can be separated from whether the vehicle is in a vacuum tube or not. Which means you can put the stuff on either wheels, maglev or rails inside the hyperloop.
    • Problem with Maglev is that it's a pain when it comes to maintenance. I think Shanghai is one of very few places that actually operate such a system, the rest of the world gave up, and the main take aways even from Shanghai are that it's simply not worth it.
      It's not that we can't do it, the maintenance and therefore operating costs are a pain.
      -> Which is why Elon Musk ended up saying "wheels" after several minutes of blabbering when asked about this and being hilariously unprepared for such a basic question. The correct answer would have been putting the train (or "pods") on rails.
    • Hyperloop has such a long list of hilarious problems:
      1. Heat expansion of the tubes - With non vacuum rails, bridges, etc. this is not much of a problem (although you do still keep it in mind during the design process), you simply leave gaps so there's room for the temperature expansion.
        With a hyperloop tube you'd have to keep it airtight, and you'd have to design complex, air tight mechanisms with overlapping tubes which allow for expansion and yet remain air tight and capable of withstanding the negative pressure from the vacuum. This is technically possible but impossible in any fiscally responsible manner. It'd be complete hell. Look at how run-down most rail networks across the world are. We're so bad at maintaining what we have. And yet some people believe that we'd have the money and discipline to maintain such a hell.
      2. Oh yeah, pumping the vacuum would also be fun to begin with. You'd have to keep pumping, btw. It's not like you'd just pump the air out once and then call it a day. Oh no no no my friend.
      3. A failure anywhere in the tube would make the death of everyone in the tube (even those very far away) a very likely scenario. Which tbh is kinda good since good luck evacuating anyone stuck in that tube.
      4. Steel is quite inexpensive these days. Still the cost to make this tube would be gigantic.
      5. Have fun maintaining ANYTHING within that tube. It just won't happen.

Just to be clear: This is not a complete list of all the stupendous issues here. Those aren't even necessarily the strongest reasons why Hyperloop is such a bad, idiotic and stupid idea. Those were just the reasons I came up with whilst typing it out.

Never ever have I met an engineer worth his salt who'd looked at this and thought this to be a good idea. Which is all fine and dandy, because it's not engineers who work on this.
      Check out the "career" page Hyperloop TT for example. Not only can't you expect to get paid (even though they have received millions), which is already hilarious, just look how many specific types of designers they're looking for, and engineers is just typed there with no specificity. As if they just had to add it as an after thought because hey it'd raise questions if they hadn't.

What type of engineers though? Mechanical engineers, structural engineers, railway engineers, nano engineers, software engineers? Probably anyone Lol.

To be fair, the "capsule" which is nothing but an empty tube which can't even work as a prototype since it has no insight to give into anything as it can't do anything (and any windtunnel testing could be done far less expensively) and the cgi modelling make it clear that they have no ability or intention to ever put out any real solution at all.
    • - The best way to do high speed rails are the way that it's already being done by the Japanese and Chinese. To be honest it's not even a question of speed. I do not think that there's any need whatsoever for any higher speeds than what those countries already achieve. Let's keep in mind that in the areas most in need of this tech (except the US west coast) have high population cities with relatively short distances between them, so there's a limit to how much km you have to accelerate and decelerate between targets, and any curves also introduce speed limits on their own. France already has the TGV. So Europe can just improve on what France has already made.

I'd simply buy a licence from either the Japanese or Chinese and use it for a domestic pan european rail network. That should be enough to kickstart all of europe out of the stagflation. But nah. Ain't gonna happen.

The bigger the breasts, the more room for the heart as well.
    But women don't come from Gallifrey, they don't have two hearts.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

This is why I prefer Eccentrica Galumbits (the triple breasted whore of eroticon 6). She has no only three breasts but three hearts.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    But women don't come from Gallifrey, they don't have two hearts.
    are you suggesting that my knowledge of the female anatomy is woefully inadequate?! smh

We must accept the harsh reality. ^^

Icon10 Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

so what's the main topic here? hehe

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

what the is this smiley face doing here, pal?