Thread: Genealogy

Indefinitely Banned

Icon5 Genealogy

So over the past few years I've been into genealogy. I like to know how many of my fellow TWCers are into it? I am of Croatian, Slovak and Polish descent but it's interesting taking those DNA tests. Apparently my great grandfather on my Polish side got sued in Poland over a pig or something. He also served in Haller's Blue Army. A funny story that I was telling someone today is that my Croatian great grandfather, he was in the Austro-Hungarian Navy. He was awarded the 1908 Jubilee Award for the Emperor anniversary of him taking over in 1848.

My grandfather (born in the USA) told me his father was a Sergeant of sorts (I later found out this year he was a Stabsbootsmann, or one of the higher NCO ranks in their navy) and one day some young guy straight out of training came up to him when he was helping someone peel potatoes or something. The young guy insulted him with words I can't repeat here and proceeded to call him "old man". My great grandfather got so mad that he took his carving knife and chased the guy back to his quarters, and when the door slammed in his face, he stuck in the knife in the door and in between swearing at him in Croatian, threaten to kill him if he saw him again. I asked him did he have anymore problems with the guy he said "Well I suppose he didn't" . Not sure if that particular story is true, but it is possible, his temper was legendary. My Slovak great grandfather was in the Austro-Hungarian Army and was "suitable as a officer servant".

I also got a hotel in the family in Croatia that I am going to stay at when I go there. If anyone wants a 4 star place to hang at if you visit the coast let me know.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: Genealogy

Thing is that when you do those genealogy tests you're signing away all the rights to what I'd consider extremely private for both you and your family as the corporations handling your DNA reserve the right to do literally anything they want with that information. :/

My family is a complicated international mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I have no idea from where my ancestors might be, I can only trace directly up to grand-grandparents and they are all Italians; my surname might suggest that we have some French ancestors, much to my shame honestly We have a serious gap on info around the Independence of Italy, probably because the archives became centralized or something like that

I can certainly say that I have some Etruscan traits (greed) as well as Roman traits (gluttony) and a bit of Sabin blood as well (stinginess)

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Thing is that when you do those genealogy tests you're signing away all the rights to what I'd consider extremely private for both you and your family as the corporations handling your DNA reserve the right to do literally anything they want with that information. :/
    Nothing private about that. All peasants, dumb farmers and cannon fodders. Truly I can't tell them apart from apes.

I sense conspiracy here. Sleeper agent? Spy? Double agent? Terrorist...?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Yep, this is the exact reason I refuse to ever do any of these genealogy tests. It's how they caught poor Joseph D'Angelo.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    Nothing private about that. All peasants, dumb farmers and cannon fodders. Truly I can't tell them apart from apes.

I sense conspiracy here. Sleeper agent? Spy? Double agent? Terrorist...?
    Same here. No one famous in my family expect for a 4th cousin that was a winner on one of the Bachelorette spinoff shows or something. And if the government wants to frame me, they're going to find a way to do it regardless.

Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by ELITEOFKINGWARMAN88 View Post
    Same here. No one famous in my family expect for a 4th cousin that was a winner on one of the Bachelorette spinoff shows or something. And if the government wants to frame me, they're going to find a way to do it regardless.
    You're more infamous then.

@topic: I find it always funny. Why bother about relatives from 200 years ago, but not about these ones from 2000 years ago? Or 20.000 year ago? Genealogy is one big business machine, ripping off one of the most primal questions: 'Where do we come from'? It's simple, really. Just look at your skin, look yourself in the eye, and what not. That already answers enough. And then again, ask: 'What does it matter?'. A lot. And nothing simultaneously. It's important to look to the past, of course, but it can only be used to learn from it. What happens in the present, and partially the future, is something your ancestors have cast down on you. And you have to decide what to make out of it. Right here, right now. That's what matters.

Blog Entries

I'm more concerned about non being French, to be honest
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

This is Flinn but with French

Blog Entries

the very concept of supremacy is idiotic, TBH

But I'm still afraid of being partly French

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

That doesn't have anything to do with supremacy. Supremacy and French are oxymoronic.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I don't know much about my family beyond my great grandparents however my mother's family on both sides hails from the mountains of Transylvania from an area so remote that it never had any ethnic minorities and running water was introduced only in the 1980s.

I don't know anything about my family on my paternal grandmother's side other that they were peasants.

My father's paternal family is weird. On the one hand they were all peasants, and the name is a romanian word of polish origin. On the other hand if I google my family name I stumble across a mountain in ing Bolivia of all places and a page from the Heraldrys Institute of Rome that says there was a noble family from Leon that became counts in Italy in the 1600s. No idea if that institute is genuine but the page is written in Italian.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; October 06, 2021 at 07:40 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    No idea if that institute is genuine but the page is written in Italian.
    https://it.trustpilot.com/review/www...mi%20ha%20dato.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    This is Flinn but with French

I knew it! I always suspected Flinn of sharing ancestors with Pepe Le Pew and being part frog, i.e. an Amphibian Italian.

Blog Entries

I considered you an ally, almost a consigliore.. and now? now.. your family is gonna mourn you

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

They made a 10 season documentary about Flinn's family. It's called La Piovra.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Blog Entries

I've the collector edition, the box is made in human skin.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

I have an ancestry of peasants in Bretzenheim at the Nahe /Rhineland-Palatine and Schmalkalden / Thurinigia. Although my maternal grandfather, who was partial deaf, was communal worker at the graveyard of Kilianstädten/Hessia.

Nothing extraordinary.
    Last edited by Morticia Iunia Bruti; October 08, 2021 at 02:44 AM.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day