Page 4 of 501 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954104 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Wow what a bunch of nerds.

Anyone up for some Magic?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

American Gods #1 episode. Lets wait for #2

Ferdiad's Avatar Patricius

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Wow what a bunch of nerds.

Anyone up for some Magic?
    Well excuuse me mr Oda Nobunaga!

Patrician

I probably won't watch American Gods, sounds... dumb.

Hey rabbit, that's Lord to you.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Today I learned that Colombians put lemon juice on fries
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Patrician

Sometimes I squeeze lemons on my fries. Tastes pretty good imo.

It's treason that.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Bugger. I went for my Provisional License today and failed. I was a little bit late to get on my Learners (at the age of 23) and have had those for three years. You need 90 points to pass and I got 106 but because there was an incident where the testing officer had to intervene due to my indecisiveness it was an immediate fail.*

* I had to turn right at a set of traffic lights where there was oncoming traffic and no arrow. The lane I wanted to get into was full and although I did the right thing by going out into the intersection, I panicked slightly when the lights started to go yellow and the testing officer had to tell me to go, even though there was no room for me. That was like five minutes into the test. Everything else was perfect. Reverse parking, lane changing, roundabouts, etc. I guess that's what happens when you do your test at peak hour. Will have to try and get a later time next time.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; May 01, 2017 at 07:53 PM.

Hard luck man, I only got mine last summer after being on a learners for a year or two. Failed my theory once but passed the next one and the actual test. What's the cost of a test in Australia?

$55. But I've been having lessons the last few weeks with an instructor from a driving school and used one of their deals where the guy picked me up from home and we drove to the testing centre and then back home, all for the low, low cost of $225...

Think it was 30 for a lesson when I was doing them. 12 lessons and 40 for the test and another 40ish for the theory. Comes out to around 440.

Euros? My lessons cost $90 each which is about 60 Euros and that's fairly standard. But since you need to have done 120 hours (100 day, 20 night), it's better to do most of that with a parent.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

In Finland you pay upwards of 1000 euros for your entire license, depending on the school. Probably closer to 1500 actually, but included in that is 20ish theory lessons, 22ish driving lessons, two slippery road tests, a night driving test and obviously the final test.

That's absurd though, that little mistake causing you to fail the test if everything else was fine, seems like an extreme overreaction.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Exactly. But they put into the same category as other failing offences, e.g. performing an illegal act or manoeuvre; colliding with a vehicle, pedestrian or object; causing a dangerous situation, etc. I could understand it if I was about to hit another car and they had to intervene to avoid that, but not my case.

Anyway, my state is notorious for the strict driving tests. Most people I know failed their first time.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    But since you need to have done 120 hours (100 day, 20 night), it's better to do most of that with a parent.
    How does this work though? How is it checked that this happens when you're allowed to do it with a parent? It's always seemed strange to me that a parent is allowed to train you how to drive. Here we have licensed instructors as the only ones allowed to teach you to drive on the public road.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Any person with a full license can teach you how to drive. I could teach my elder sister if she didn't get so panicky when driving (she might never be able to drive).

I got my hours up with my parents before getting 10 lessons with an instructor, and he commented at the time we started that I was already pretty advanced, but it was useful to get tips on the laws and try and iron out any bad habits I could have inherited from my parents' driving. I got my L's at 19 and P's a year later at 20 (24 now). That was in Queensland, and I got it the first time (sorry Niles). The only mistake I made was slightly mounting the curb on my reverse parallel park. I hate reverse parallel parking.

On a related note, Victorian drivers are much worse than Queensland drivers, despite Victoria having stricter requirements (P's for 3 years instead of 2; need to be 17 before you can sit your L's versus 16 in Qld; probably some other stuff). I was born in NSW, but never really drove there, other than driving through on the way south with my dad a couple of years ago, and we went the country route in any case.
    Last edited by Frunk; May 03, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

"A Dhaka city corporation sewer cleaner at work. Despite a rise in the number of deaths of manhole workers, cleaners often enter the sewers without protective equipment."

Totally unrelated, but if you happen to have had a miserable day at work, at least you can think 'thank righteous I don't have that guy's job'.
    Last edited by Inkie; May 03, 2017 at 09:56 AM.

Under the patronage of the formidable and lovely Narf.

Proud patron of Derpy Hooves, Audacia, Lordsith, Frodo45127 and Sir Adrian.

Patrician

Dhaka is in Bangladesh right? Doesn't Bangladesh have a huge flooding problem during the Monsoon Season?

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

I just remembered the abomination called Tokio Hotel. The guys who launched that crap will burn in hell.

Anyone watch that Ajax-Lyon game. Jesus christ it was mad