Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

  1. #5161
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,038

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    The great leap backward sure showed those filthy bourgeoise tho
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

  2. #5162
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    I want everyone here who's talking about my boy Mao to meet me in Tienanmen square at high noon and we can settle this like men (or birds, Diamat.)

  3. #5163
    AqD's Avatar (~‾▿‾)~
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,825

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    All of us at once?

  4. #5164
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    The more the merrier, comrade.

  5. #5165
    Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    6,038

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Name the date and I’m there pinko
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Political violence wasn't started or popularized by Nazis, nor is there any association between the two. The fact that Antifa violently respond to far-right movements is a sign of a healthy and responsible polity, not authoritarian groupthink. Indeed, political violence is often the most effective and most responsible method to prevent normalization of abhorrent ideas.

  6. #5166
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Diamat (May his feathers fall off) has chosen the 25th of June at high noon in Tienanmen square. Please line up in a neat line when you arrive thank you.

  7. #5167
    Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,357

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    I'm with Akar on this. Chairman Mao is #1 except for Kim Jong-il




  8. #5168
    AqD's Avatar (~‾▿‾)~
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Home
    Posts
    9,825

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    We should have a poll.

  9. #5169
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    A poll has been created, gentlemen.

  10. #5170
    Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    My Mind
    Posts
    9,787

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Diamat (May his feathers fall off) has chosen the 25th of June at high noon in Tienanmen square. Please line up in a neat line when you arrive thank you.
    The coordinates I gave you are in Antarctica.

  11. #5171
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    I know that and I intentionally disregarded it because it didn't fit with my messaging. Diamat.

  12. #5172

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Akar, I am smarter than you! You are creative with words, but can you quote Mao's little red book ? I can do that, and not come up with any of my own ideas like any good mainlander should!
    "牛鬼蛇神的文字" by Fu Sinian on Chinese characters.
    ("A Cow Demon and Snake God's Writing System")

    "汉字不灭,中国必亡" Lu Xun also on Chinese characters.
    ("If Chinese Characters don't die, China will perish")

  13. #5173
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    I could, but revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery. It cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another.

    Eat the rich.

  14. #5174
    Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Azuchi-jō Tenshu
    Posts
    22,049

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Mao wasn't really a politician, imo. He was China's greatest apparatchik.
    Maybe I don't know enough about Mao but he doesn't seem like the middle management type. Wasn't Mao pretty much only an ideologue and the sort of "big thinker" in terms of national policy? I can't think of anything that Mao did directly, except maybe carrying out his part of the Long March. But I suppose it depends on what you mean by apparatchik.

    Quote Originally Posted by Settra View Post
    I have to agree with Diamat. Mao was the king of tukhta, the master of nomenclature but he was no politician. He is the guy foco was based on, aside for Che. An apparatchik through and through.
    Mao was very successful at "Party Politics", the Great Leap Forward should have destroyed him completely. The Party would have shot anyone else and yet Mao was able to go into "retirement" and then come back and carry out the Cultural Revolution, which also should have got him shot.
    No one has ever recovered from a precarious situation like that which Mao found himself in 1962. In the first place, he was able to take over the Communists and unify the various branches in the 1930's. Then defeat Chiang Kai-shek militarily after 1947 and take control of China. As well as the Sino-Soviet business and the Korean War. Mao stands out because he is like Lenin and Stalin in one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    The great leap backward sure showed those filthy bourgeoise tho
    Ironically it did. The death toll was secondary and didn't have a huge effect on China. The unintended benefit for Mao is that it killed tonnes of potential dissidents. While the goal was really to institute self sufficiency, modernize China's economy and industry and part of the Socialist end goal... he also wanted to completely break Capitalism which he did accomplish. The policies instituted by Zhou Enlai afterwards were socialist and state capitalism but the actual Capitalist structure was completely destroyed. What little State Capitalism Zhou Enlai allowed to exist for pragmatic reasons, was not a threat to Mao's system.

    Quote Originally Posted by AqD View Post
    All of us at once?
    OOOOOHHHH MYYYYYYY

    "Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

  15. #5175
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Mao says that the only thing better than to be left with half of your population from war or famine is to be left with one third of it.

  16. #5176
    Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    My Mind
    Posts
    9,787

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Maybe I don't know enough about Mao but he doesn't seem like the middle management type. Wasn't Mao pretty much only an ideologue and the sort of "big thinker" in terms of national policy? I can't think of anything that Mao did directly, except maybe carrying out his part of the Long March. But I suppose it depends on what you mean by apparatchik.


    Mao was very successful at "Party Politics", the Great Leap Forward should have destroyed him completely. The Party would have shot anyone else and yet Mao was able to go into "retirement" and then come back and carry out the Cultural Revolution, which also should have got him shot.
    No one has ever recovered from a precarious situation like that which Mao found himself in 1962. In the first place, he was able to take over the Communists and unify the various branches in the 1930's. Then defeat Chiang Kai-shek militarily after 1947 and take control of China. As well as the Sino-Soviet business and the Korean War. Mao stands out because he is like Lenin and Stalin in one.
    Apparatchik is a fitting term, because he was quite adept at party politics, party purges, and killing enemies.

    Mao's recovery was not that unique. This can be found in other socialist countries as well. Just look at Kim Il Sung. He completely screwed up the Korean War, was almost ousted by the Chinese and Soviets in 1956, and he withstood factional struggles during de-Stalinization. Just like Mao, he was a cut-throat apparatchik.

  17. #5177
    Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Azuchi-jō Tenshu
    Posts
    22,049

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Apparatchik is a fitting term, because he was quite adept at party politics, party purges, and killing enemies.

    Mao's recovery was not that unique. This can be found in other socialist countries as well. Just look at Kim Il Sung. He completely screwed up the Korean War, was almost ousted by the Chinese and Soviets in 1956, and he withstood factional struggles during de-Stalinization. Just like Mao, he was a cut-throat apparatchik.
    I see now. Thought you meant that Mao was some kind of low ranking commissar.
    Although Mao and Kim Il Sung really seem like the exceptions to the amazing rebounds.
    For instance Ho Chi Minh, as disastrous as the Vietnam War started out, was never put into a completely precarious situation. America never tried to overthrow him and the top brass of the Vietnamese army didn't consider unseating him.

    Lenin and Stalin were never put in that exact situation either. Stalin was never threatened or forced to resign after he implemented the Five Year Plan and even in 1941 he was not threatened by an imminent coup or asked to give up his position. The most precarious scenario that Stalin found himself in was probably during the Battles of Kiev and Smolensk in 1941, maybe the Battle of Stalingrad in 1942. But any doubts of his leadership or that the Soviets would outright lose the war were gone by the time of the Battle of Moscow in 1941 or after the crushing victory in Operation Saturn at the end of 1942.

    Maybe the only other person to make an absurd comeback, like Mao did, was Mussolini... Except without any of the glory. More so because no one expected it, should not have been possible in the first place and just how quickly he was put back into power. That and how viciously he started lashing out. It wasn't so much a state purge as it was just a series of rapid mass executions.

    "Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

  18. #5178
    Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    My Mind
    Posts
    9,787

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Factional struggles and purges are endemic to Marxist-Leninist parties. Mao and Kim are unique in the sense that they survived serious threats to their rule, using these threats to (ironically) strengthen their rule. In East Germany, Ulbricht faced similar threats during de-Stalinization, but he managed to purge his enemies, only to be himself ousted years later by Honecker (Ulbricht's protege). Then once again, in typical Communist irony, Honecker was toppled by his protege, Egon Krenz.

  19. #5179
    Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nehekhara
    Posts
    14,118

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Mao was very successful at "Party Politics", the Great Leap Forward should have destroyed him completely. The Party would have shot anyone else and yet Mao was able to go into "retirement" and then come back and carry out the Cultural Revolution, which also should have got him shot.
    No one has ever recovered from a precarious situation like that which Mao found himself in 1962. In the first place, he was able to take over the Communists and unify the various branches in the 1930's. Then defeat Chiang Kai-shek militarily after 1947 and take control of China. As well as the Sino-Soviet business and the Korean War. Mao stands out because he is like Lenin and Stalin in one.
    I disagree. That's because Mao was the figurehead and leader of the revolution. In communist countries the fathers of the revolution were seen as untouchable demi-gods that could no wrong, the doctrine was simply designed that way. Having him shot would have been like shooting Marx or Lenin or the Americans shooting one of the Founding Fathers. It just wasn't done. No general secretary of the communist party of any country has ever been shot by his own party. Even Trotsky's assassination caused extreme discontent and eventually led to all involved being butchered after Stalin's death.

    Mao survived his blunders because of his position not because of his skill. Had he taken any other role during the revolution he would have been killed for wrecking.
    Last edited by Settra; June 22, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
    Under the patronage of Squid Girl. I am here, click me!



  20. #5180
    Akar's Avatar Praeses
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The 12th Plane of Torment.
    Posts
    8,839

    Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

    This thread got purged harder than the communist party when it's leader dies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •