Thread: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Default Re: The Chat Thread (Read OP)

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Sweet. Imagine been 46 years old, playing video games and been in this forum.
    You're a mere youngster!

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Not sure where this came into the discussion from, but I would avoid having 88 in my nick for the political connotations alone. It is weird though that someone finds the particular year of his birth somehow significant to his identity.
    The discussion started by someone asking for the number "1488" being banned, which others, including me, opposed. I for one had until this thread popped up never heard of this number being a racist symbol, had only heard of 88, which I for a very long time assumed would have to stand for the Tiger tank and flak gun caliber which Wehraboo's typically salivate over, and then assumed it to be Hitler's birthday. Only later did I find out that it's some weird numerology .
    I still don't know what the 14 stands for, as I consistently scroll over any explanation, because I simply do not care. I'd rather spend my very limited supply of brain cells on literally anything else.

The question why one then shouldn't ban it is simply answered if one goes through this forum searching for the term, and finds that it here has almost exclusively been used referring to a historical date. Examples for events in 1488 would be Diaz being the first European to have made a trip round the cape Good Hope, or Ulrich von Hutten's birthday - a very renowned humanist, who ironically ranted a lot against papal censorship.

And finally the point you adress here, whether one shouldn't just avoid using the term "88" for the political connotations, for one I still don't see this term as being common knowledge in this way, at least not in my social circles, nor should it be, and secondly there's a plethora of hate symbols apparently. Ever used the term "100%"? Well that's short for "100% white" apparently. All one does with this is giving Neonazis monopoly over something, whilst they'll still be able to appropriate any other term after that. So one's mission is never truly accomplished until all language is banned.

Basically the censorship debate, here and everywhere else, is practically always a good thing for the Nazis.

My preference is thus for people looking at language in a way that reflects reality. It's a vehicle to carry meaning. Words can mean entirely opposite things depending on context. Obviously that's any censors true nightmare and requires of people to not automatically assume the worst before thinking.
    Last edited by Cookiegod; January 19, 2021 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    You're a mere youngster!
    Women, competitive since 20.000 BC!

The discussion started by someone asking for the number "1488" being banned, which others, including me, opposed. I for one had until this thread popped up never heard of this number being a racist symbol, had only heard of 88, which I for a very long time assumed would have to stand for the Tiger tank and flak gun caliber which Wehraboo's typically salivate over, and then assumed it to be Hitler's birthday. Only later did I find out that it's some weird numerology .
    I still don't know what the 14 stands for, as I consistently scroll over any explanation, because I simply do not care. I'd rather spend my very limited supply of brain cells on literally anything else.

The question why one then shouldn't ban it is simply answered if one goes through this forum searching for the term, and finds that it here has almost exclusively been used referring to a historical date. Examples for events in 1488 would be Diaz being the first European to have made a trip round the cape Good Hope, or Ulrich von Hutten's birthday - a very renowned humanist, who ironically ranted a lot against papal censorship.

And finally the point you adress here, whether one shouldn't just avoid using the term "88" for the political connotations, for one I still don't see this term as being common knowledge in this way, at least not in my social circles, nor should it be, and secondly there's a plethora of hate symbols apparently. Ever used the term "100%"? Well that's short for "100% white" apparently. All one does with this is giving Neonazis monopoly over something, whilst they'll still be able to appropriate any other term after that. So one's mission is never truly accomplished until all language is banned.

Basically the censorship debate, here and everywhere else, is practically always a good thing for the Nazis.

My preference is thus for people looking at language in a way that reflects reality. It's a vehicle to carry meaning. Words can mean entirely opposite things depending on context. Obviously that's any censors true nightmare and requires of people to not automatically assume the worst before thinking.
    let's not start this again, eh?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    Women, competitive since 20.000 BC!

I have no problem being Betty Rubble...^^
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

I'm certainly a Fred Flintstone
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

The discussion started by someone asking for the number "1488" being banned, which others, including me, opposed.[...]
    Oh, so that must be a reference to something that happened much earlier. Now there was a suggestion to ban everyone born on 1988, which may or may not be a reference to that. At any rate, I do not want anything banned and I agree with you that we should not obsess about everything that may mean something to someone and start limiting our language. 88 is just so obvious to me that I would personally avoid it in a nick, especially since I think that birth years in nicks are stupid to begin with (ok, unless they are 69). Also I do not know what the 14 stands for and, as you said, we should not care really either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    let's not start this again, eh?
    I do not want to carry on this conversation, but I wanted to acknowledge Cookie's message since he took the trouble of writing me a lengthy reply.

Blog Entries

Give me your address please, I'm sending you a present

Spoiler for the present

I completely fail to see how someone would be expected to stop playing games and writing on a gaming forum at a certain age. I am past forty but I grew up doing that and to me computers and games were a defining generational thing. For my parents' generation, it was television and they did not stop watching that at any point. What else is there? Should we stop going to sports events? Stop listening to music?

Blog Entries

You mean that you too are older than me?

STOP BEING OLDER THAN ME, damn you people!

Don't worry, Flinn, you'll catch up in no time!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

I'm older than all of you combined. I am the Elder God! I am the Blue Baby!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    Don't worry, Flinn, you'll catch up in no time!
    I read this as: you should kill us all, so that we can't keep distancing you

ok good advice.. now just don't move as I take the aim...

I guess it would be easier to ask, who is not older than Flinn.

I'm young and immature for my age, making my adjusted age approximately 17. Legally this means I can't be tried as an adult for any of the various acts of arson I've allegedly committed

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

On the other hand, I remember how someone around here was totally shocked when a few years ago (maybe I was 40 then) I told him that I had not started a family. it seemed inconceivable to him.

Quote Originally Posted by makawa View Post
    On the other hand, I remember how someone around here was totally shocked when a few years ago (maybe I was 40 then) I told him that I had not started a family. it seemed inconceivable to him.
    or unconceived?

at 50+ my 'family' is wilddog (husband) and a demented cat, which is fine by me!

Blog Entries

plants. I don't want more responsibility than that.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    or unconceived?

at 50+ my 'family' is wilddog (husband) and a demented cat, which is fine by me!
    woof woof

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    woof woof
    wait. is that flirting?

Spouse and three cats, no plant as i have a antigreen thumb (every plant dies^^).