Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dagor Andúnë ~ Second Age Campaigns - A very pleasant way to die.

Icon13 Dagor Andúnë ~ Second Age Campaigns - A very pleasant way to die.

I am posting this here to hopefully get some help with lore and making these Main Campaign setups as lore accurate as possible. I am not a huge LOTR fan (prefer knowledge of reality over fantasy) so I am not familiar with a lot of things and am completely oblivious to many other things (especially in the timeline this covers!). Please do feel free to tell me if you think something is wrong or should be included, nothing is final. Actually making the campaigns will not take long at all since I already have placeholders, I just need to hammer out details and get a more final idea before I spend time making it for realz so I don't have to change stuff around later. So feel free to post anything relevant, and correct me harshly for being stoopid/ignorant. Any idea is a good idea at this point so don't worry about me or anyone else saying no to it.

SA Early Era Campaigns;

Period covered; 1st millennium and on.

725 Aldarion makes his first journey to Mithlond in the ship Númerrámar captained by Vëantur.
    727 Aldarion and Vëantur return to Númenor.
    729 Birth of Almiel.
    730 Aldarion makes his second journey to Mithlond.
    733 Aldarion returns to Númenor.
    735 Aldarion makes his third journey to Middle-earth, visiting the coasts as far south as the Bay of Belfalas.
    739 Aldarion returns to Númenor, bearing gifts from Gil-galad to his father Meneldur.
    740 Tar-Elendil surrenders the Sceptre; Tar-Meneldur becomes the fifth King of Númenor.
    750 Eregion is founded and construction on Ost-in-Edhil begins. Aldarion founds the Guild of Venturers.
    751 Death of Tar-Elendil, fourth King of Númenor.
    771 Birth of Erendis.
    799 Birth of Soronto.
    800 Aldarion proclaimed the King's Heir.
    806 Aldarion's seven-year voyage.
    813 Aldarion returns to Númenor.
    816 Palarran completed, Aldarion's four year voyage
    820 Aldarion returns to Númenor, Tar-Meneldur rescinds Aldarion's authority
    824 Aldarion's five year voyage
    829 Aldarion returns and immediately sets out upon his fourteen year voyage
    840 Nessanië born
    843 Aldarion returns to Númenor, Tar-Meneldur restores authority
    850 Aldarion and Erendis sail to Andúnië.
    852 Hallacar born
    858 Aldarion is betrothed to Erendis
    861 Aldarion and Erendis forswear wedding until his return
    863 Aldarion's six year voyage
    869 Aldarion returns to Númenor, First shadow appears on sailing to Middle-earth
    870 Wedding of Aldarion and Erendis
    873 Ancalimë born
    877 Hirilondë completed, Aldarion's second five year voyage
    880 Ancalimë learns her father is Lord Aldarion
    882 Aldarion returns. Seperation of Aldarion and Erendis
    883 Tar-Aldarion takes Sceptre
    892 Ancalimë proclaimed King's Heir and changes law of marriage
    900 Death of Caliondo
    942 Death of Meneldur
    985 Drowning of Erendis
    1,000 Sauron begins construction on Barad-dûr, Ancalimë weds Hallacar
    1,003 Anárion born
    1,075 Queen Tar-Ancalimë takes Sceptre
    1,098 Death of Tar-Aldarion
    1,174 Súrion born
    1,200 Ereinion Gil-galad turns away Annatar, Númenóreans begin to construct permanent havens
    - Then conquering the lands that will become Arnor and Gondor and then conquering the lands of Middle-Earth that Arnor and Gondor would go on to control being the open-ended focus.

The main goal; to create a feeling of exploration early on following the First Age when playing as Númenór, and then conquest/colonization of Middle-earth. Playing as other factions will mainly revolve around dealing with the aftermath of the First Age and later having to deal with the "Númenór problem" at some point.

~~~~~~
    Factions;
    ~~~~~~

Númenór (later known as Unfaithful/Black Numenoreans but not ever in this campaign.) Controls 4 of 5 regions in Numenor, eventually spreads to Umbar and Far Harad, etc.

Númenór (later known as the Faithful but not ever in this campaign.) - Controls one region in Numenor. Starts with one small region along the coast in Eriador, eventually spreads to Arnor and Gondor. Must capture new regions to get unit rewards and build up settlements to recruit Arnor and Gondor AOR units.

Sauron,

Lindon,

Eregion,

Avari Elves,

Silvan Elves,

Galadhrim,

Rhun,

Balchoth Clan,

Khazâd ai-Khazâd-dûm,

Khazâd ai-Ered Luin,

Khazâd ai-Orocarni,

Eämbar of Eru ~ Eagles, Ents, and such.

Gwathuirim (Dunlendings in Eriador, before they fled to Dunland)

Enedwaith,

Orcs of Gundabad

Orcs of Ered Nimrais,

Haradrim

Váringárhoth (Variags)

Éothéod (in Rhovanion)

Taur-imlothrim (Forest-vale men/people) or Forodrim (North men/people) (in Anduin Vale and Greenwood/Mirkwood area)

Celusindirim (River People) (Dale and Erebor area)

Egládhoth (Forsaken people) (Corsair and Outlaws, along coasts)

Faróthrim (Hunter people) (Far Harad)

Brood of Glaurung (starts very weak but can become as strong as in the First Age if allowed to).

Three factions added to Far Harad; a slaver faction, a corsair faction, and the last one will probably be a blending of many North African factions that existed.

Raugdúath (Wolves, Wargs, Bats, Bears, etc.)

Under the Shadow (lots of rebel factions, not as many as other Ages though).

~

SA Late Era Campaigns;

Period covered; 4th millennium into Third Age.

3,118 Pharazôn born
    3,119 Elendil born
    3,175 Repentance of Tar-Palantir (according to the Tale of Years)
    3,177 Death of Ar-Gimilzôr, Tar-Palantir takes Sceptre, Civil War in Númenor, Prophecy of the White Tree given
    3,209 Isildur born
    3,219 Anárion born
    3,243 Death of Gimilkhâd
    3,255 Death of Tar-Palantir, Ar-Pharazôn seizes Sceptre
    3,261 Ar-Pharazôn lands at the Haven of Umbar
    3,262 Sauron taken to Númenor as prisoner
    3,299 Elendur born
    3,310 The Great Armament begins construction
    3,316 Amandil sails to Aman.
    3,318 Meneldil born.
    3,319 Downfall of Númenor, Deaths of Ar-Pharazôn and Míriel
    3,320 Arnor and Gondor founded
    3,339 Aratan born
    3,379 Ciryon born
    3,399 Cemendur born
    3,429 Sauron takes Minas Ithil
    3,430 Last Alliance formed, Valandil born
    3,431 Last Alliance marches to Imladris
    3,434 Battle of Dagorlad, Siege of Barad-dûr, deaths of Amdír and Oropher
    3.440 Death of Anárion
    3,441 Deaths of Ereinion Gil-galad and Elendil, defeat of Sauron (not the main goal or end of the campaign, just the end of the scripted events)
    - Then a bunch of fighting between the Faithful and the Unfaithful/"Black Numenoreans" in the south and Middle-Earth slowly being conquered by one of these powerhouse factions (like Isengard and Mordor in the TA kinda) being the open-ended focus.

The main goal; to re-create the conquest (and wars with Sauron along the way) of Middle-Earth by the Númenóreans when playing as either Númenórean faction. Other factions will mainly revolve around dealing with Sauron (twice and he is a big problem for them, just a hassle ultimately to the Númenórean factions but more so the second time around) then deal with the "Númenór problem" at some point.

~~~~~~
    Factions;
    ~~~~~~

Númenór (Kings Men, eventually Unfaithful/Black Númenóreans) - Starts with 4 of 5 regions in Numenor and Umbar, Far Harad, etc.

Númenór (The Faithful) - Starts with Arnor and Gondor and one region in Numenor.

Sauron

Éothéod,

Khazâd Clans ai-Khazâd-dûm,

Khazâd Clans ai-Ered Luin,

Khazâd Clans ai-Orocarni,

Avari Elves,

Dale,

Silvan Elves,

Galadhrim,

High Elves,

Rhun,

Harad,

Far Harad,

Orcs of Gundabad,

Orcs of the Misty Mountains,

Beornings,

Variags,

Balchoth Clan,

Dunlendings,

"Oathbreakers", Orodwaith/Orodgwaith/Orodhoth/Orodadan (host/men of the mountains), Gaurwaith/Gaurgwaith/Gaurhoth/Gauradan (host/men of the wolf, wolf 'whorshipers' faction theme maybe?)

Corsairs and Outlaws,

Creations of Eru, (Ents, Huorns, Eagles, Bears, etc.)

Brood of Glaurung (starts very weak but can become as strong as in the First Age if allowed to).

Three factions added to Far Harad; a slaver faction, a corsair faction, and the last one will probably be a blending of many North African factions that existed.

Raugdúath (Wolves, Wargs, Bats, Bears, etc.)

Under the Shadow (lots of rebel factions, not as many as other Ages though).

~

If any good writers want to help with historical events that would be nice. Not a big deal though, if I don't feel like writing it I can just rip something from the net. I will need campaign balance testers as well, campaign balancing will be the bulk of the work.

Credits;

Ngugi - lore advice.

King Kong and TATW Team.

Menu image by RadoJavor.

Tolkien.
    Last edited by alreadyded; December 18, 2017 at 06:44 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Dagor Andúnë ~ Second Age Campaigns

Early era:
    The men of Enedwaith, and Dunland coming to their aid, became hostile to the Númenóreans and destroyed Vinyalondë [Lond Daer] in or before 863:
    Six years and more passed away before Aldarion returned to Númenor. He found even Almarian the Queen colder in wel*come, and the Venturers were fallen out of esteem; for men, thought that he had treated Erendis ill. But indeed he was longer gone than he had purposed; for he had found the haven of Vinyalondë now wholly ruined, and great seas had brought to nothing all his labours to restore it. Men near the coasts were growing afraid of the Númenóreans, or were become openly hostile; and Aldarion heard rumours of some lord in Middle-earth who hated the men of the ships.

(...) But all Aldarion's labours were swept away. The works that he began again at Vinyalondë were never completed, and the sea gnawed them. Nevertheless he laid the foundation for the achieve*ment of Tar-Minastir long years after, in the first war with Sauron, and but for his works the fleets of Númenor could not have brought their power in time to the right place - as he foresaw. Already the hostility was growing and dark men out of the mountains were thrusting into Enedwaith.
    - UT; Aldarion and Erendis
    In the early part [until ca 18th century] Longbeards and Northmen, of what seems to conern northern Rhovanion [a.k.a not the plains specificly], were allied, btw.

While their history is a mess, and whether one believes they founded Eregion, arguably it's so that prior to 750 Galadriel and Celeborn lived about Nenuial:
    When they entered that region there were many Noldor in their following, together with Grey-elves and Green-elves; and for a while they dwelt in the country about Lake Nenuial (Evendim, north of the Shire).
    - UT; The History of Galadriel and Celeborn

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

Lindon seems to be missing from the Early campaign, I presume that's just an oversight though.

Hehe ya I always forget at least one when I make faction lists (I only have so many fingers and toes to count). That is an important one too. Added. Pretty sure one other is still missing.

@Ngugi, thanks. Will make Enedwaith a faction and get rid of the "Oathbreakers" in the early era I suppose. The OOMM can stay in the White Mountains for gameplays sake I suppose (good thing too, had no clue where to put them).
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 18, 2017 at 08:18 AM.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

OotMM shall properly be in the mountains
    Those scum were the reason Dwarves got a good relationship to Northmen in the first place:
    ; for [in the First Age] the Longbeards had spread southward down the Vales of Anduin and had made their chief 'mansion' and stronghold at Moria; and also eastward to the Iron Hills, where the mines were their chief source of iron-ore. They regarded the Iron Hills, the Ered Mithrin, and the east dales of the Misty Mountains as their own land.
    But they were under attack from the Orks of Morgoth. During the War of the Jewels and the Siege of Angband, when Morgoth needed all his strength, these attacks ceased; but when Morgoth fell and Angband was destroyed hosts of the Orks fled eastwards seek ing homes.
    They were now masterless and without any general leadership, but they were well-armed and very numerous, cruel, savage, and reckless in assault. In the battles that followed the Dwarves were outnumbered, and though they were the most redoubtable warriors of all the Speaking Peoples they were glad to make alliance with Men.
    Early in the Second Age the Orcs apperently took Gundabad, that was at some point recaptured. Indeed, until the end of the 17th century the Dwarves held quite much of the north (see placenames in quote below) thanks to their alliance with Men:
    The Second Age had reached only the middle of its course (c. Second Age 1695) when [Sauron] invaded Eriador and destroyed Eregion, a small realm estab lished by the Eldar migrating from the ruin of Beleriand that had formed an alliance also with the Longbeards of Moria. This marked the end of the Alliance of the Longbeards with Men of the North.
    For though Moria remained impregnable for many centuries, the Orks reinforced and commanded by servants of Sauron invaded the mountains again. Gundabad was re-taken, the Ered Mithrin infested and the communication between Moria and the Iron Hills for a time cut off.
    The Men of the Alliance were involved in war not only with Orks but with alien Men of evil sort. For Sauron had acquired dominion over many savage tribes in the East (of old corrupted by Morgoth), and he now urged them to seek land and booty in the West. When the storm passed,(35) the Men of the old Alliance were diminished and scattered, and those that lingered on in their old regions were impoverished, and lived mostly in caves or in the borders of the Forest.
    Last edited by Ngugi; April 19, 2017 at 05:01 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

When this becomes available

I still need to find a use for one of the faction slots in the late era and possibly one more in the early era as well (if I squeeze things in just right I will only need one Numenor faction in the early era). Until I get the factions finalized I don't want to set it up yet since I might have to go redo/undo stuff. Making it will not take nearly as long as the First Age (which really didn't take long) plus I setup all the needed background code while making the First Age.

The Third/Fourth Age map will be used, Isengard will be removed and made a small port region in Eriador for Numenor to start in with only 2 to 3 kick ass Numenor units to rely on until you can "convince" Numenor that it is worth their time to send you more and later on invest in colonization (pretty sure this fits the lore, I only read through the book that covers this once and quickly, which is why I am posting this thread for lore help). Maybe one more starting region further down the coast, not sure about the lore yet. Making the game fun will be the main priority but I want to at least start with something lore accurate and try to make that fun first.

I was thinking of adding another Rhovanion faction but I need to read on the lore about that stuff to see if it fits in these eras. Also these creature factions can go bye bye if there is anything better to take their place. The Raugdúath is the only needed one since it also acts and a second rebel faction (needed since you can't give region ownership to slave faction, so they have to rebel to some other faction).

Edit; I will post more detailed plans later for people to criticize. The stuff I just finished (optional CAI and BAI scripts, and No Man's Land script) will be used for these campaigns as well. The No Man's Land script will go a long way to making it feel more lore accurate in this time period, it fits in this time period more than the others really.
    Last edited by alreadyded; April 24, 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Will Numenor faction be located on the island or on middlle-earth

ekusik's Avatar Foederatus

Suggestion,
    I wonder Minas Tirith(Minas Anor), Osgiliath, and Minas ithil should be removed and made some regions to the south or east.
    In the lore, these settlements don't exist in most part of Second age and Numenor extend their colonies mainly in the south.
    Because high king Gil-galad resides in Grey heaven and Numenorean(especially King's Men of late era) dislike him.
    But by the same reason, Faithful reside in Pelargir or Belfaras in future Gondor realm. Sorry I don't know well about Arnor realm in this era, except Lond Dier is abondoned in the late era.

I geuss if Numenor islans exist, island would be occupied by full stack of army!
    But so, I wonder one thing.
    Do you have a plan of including 'Downfall of Númenor' script?
    (ie. remove economy support, destroy low tier ship units or some buldings(because of Tsunami), and become difficult, even impossible to recruit pro-Numenorean units for Numenor factions. Also spawn Elendil(near Grey heaven), Isildur and Anarion(near Pelargir) with their ships and so on.)
    Last edited by ekusik; May 17, 2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: add example

I suppose I will be shifting the map to the south a bit and just have one remnant faction in the north. That is what I thought up just now anyway. A little something like this;

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 14, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

Here is my idea. It includes island and travel times from there.

http://imgur.com/a/do4yw

That wouldn't work, it would break many things. I could easily fit all of Numenor in if it was a big deal to me but nothing actually happens on the island throughout the lore or in these campaigns, no battles or developing to do, just recruiting troops and loading them on ships to sail for like three months (I do agree sailing to the south should take less time though) somewhere else. So if I do include the island it will not be so important to change the rest of the map (the "somewhere else") so dramatically, which means probably one settlement on the edge of the map at best unless I have extra regions not being used.

Edit; Making a custom campaign(s) with all of Numenor on the map is easy and will be done eventually I am sure (especially since I already made the island so it is just copy/pasting real quick). It could even be included in the first release just like I added Numenor to the First Age for the hell of it. I don't always stick with my priorities if something else sounds more fun to do at the time. Also nothing is final, I already thought of a few creative ways that I like to make it work that I may use and I may still think of something even better that will make me want to add the whole island to the main campaigns.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 06, 2017 at 02:11 PM.

What is your progress? And second age coming in version 1.10?

It will be the bulk of the next release unless I get some feedback on stuff that is already released to make improvements.

I haven't started on the campaigns yet but the files are all setup for it and I have it worked out in my head enough so I will not waste time doing things that will not be used or need to be undone I think. It will probably be a month or two until the next large patch is my guess, smaller patches may happen sooner based on feedback.
    Last edited by alreadyded; June 11, 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Default Re: Dagor Andúnë ~ Second Age Campaigns - A very pleasant way to die.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

May do something like this, but with better squiggly lines and accurate distances.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 14, 2017 at 03:16 PM.

This here is the more or less official (at least it is printed in the Tolkien-Atlas and supposedly based of his descriptions) version of what's beyond Middleearth, including the south.

Of course you could not make a map exactly like this as it would place Numenor just to far away. What are they supposed to do that far west and south from everything important? That's just to provide some further ideas about the map.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

That map is pretty terrible overall Ectheldir. Tho i must say that i don't really know any good maps of arround this time.

I have never seen a lore accurate map of ME and there isn't one to my knowledge, just a sketch. Unless the Author drew it or at least confirmed it is accurate it can only ever be semi-cannon at best to me, even so I have taken influence from most maps I have seen. In any case the map can only go as far south as I have it so using that space to best represent what I assume we all consider south of the equator to look like (Africa, South America, possibly Indonesia) into the gameplay (making it seem larger and farther away, as it was in the lore, than it actually is in the game). Also the world changed after Beleriand sunk but it also changed again after Numenor sunk so I plan to make it look different along the coasts from the First Age and Third/Fourth Age. I have never seen any maps the represent the changes along the coast of ME that the books mention.
    Last edited by alreadyded; August 10, 2017 at 04:46 PM.

There will definitely be Numenor on the map now, I will need it for the intended game design in the early and late era.

This is what I have so far in game;

I haven't decided what the south will look like just yet though other than probably adding a island chain in the southeast since the map has none of that sort of thing. The coasts along Middle-earth will not be so smooth either to represent the effect Beleriand sinking had on the coasts of Middle-earth.

What map of middle-earth are you using?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast