Thread: Capital change / Defeating Attila / Illegitimate children

Default Capital change / Defeating Attila / Illegitimate children

Hey guys,

being quite a number of turns into my Sasanian campaign now, I got a couple of more questions:

1) I once lost my capital Ctesiphon to a Sasanian dissenter army, so the neighbouring small city (I forgot its name) automatically became my new capital. However, when I reconquered Ctesiphon shortly thereafter, the capital did not move back but stayed with the small city. Is it supposed to be like this or is that a bug? I don't want my capital to be some obscure small city...

2) I've read that it is necessary to kill Attila three times in the vanilla game in order to get finally rid of him. Is it the same in Europa Perdita or has that been changed? And does it need to be in battles that I fight myself? Because I already killed him once in an auto-resolve battle, and I did not get the "Attila the Dead" achievement that you apparently get when you kill him the first time...

3) There are only illegitimate children in my royal family by now - what effect does it have when an illegitimate child becomes king? Will the loyalty of the other family member and grandees be lower?

Thanks!
    La Garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!

Default Re: Capital change / Defeating Attila / Illegitimate children

1) EP doesn't change anything to do with capitals (nor can we. I don't think it's moddable). I think the game should give you back Ctesiphon as your capital after a turn.

2) We haven't changed any of that either (yet). I think you have to fight him yourself for that achievement, but I don't think you have to fight him yourself for the "kill him 3 times to get rid of him" thing. I think you can even have agents assassinate him 3 times. I'm not really sure of this though. It's been a long time since I've played a campaign where I've even fought him. Last one I played was as Aksum and I never went to war with the Huns; Attila just died after a certain date (I think he's scripted to die at a certain date if you haven't killed him by then).

3) Not currently, but one of our team members did have an idea to create a script that does exactly this. So that's something we might have in the future.

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

Just about Attila himself.
    The way it works is you have to wait until a certain date for the game to switch Attila from invincible to killable, can't remember which date it is exactly. I think it's the next chapter event after he comes of age and become leader of the Huns. I'm sure google could clarify this. Otherwise you can fight him as many times as you want, he'll never die.
    After that date, you have to kill him 2 times, manually. If successful, you'll get a pretty clear notification in game that the next time you fight him, he will die.

And here is when the theory-crafting plays its part, because no one is particularly sure as how you are supposed to kill him since CA never explained their own game mechanics. Most agree that he'll only die if you fight him manually those 3 times, agents in fact give you a 0% chance to achieve a kill on him, you can only wound him with agents.

And as said above, he is scripted to die after a certain date. But it takes quite a while.

Sorry for the late reply!

1) Unfortunately, the game did not make Ctesiphon my capital again, even after many turns. Must have been a bug, I guess. In any case, I changed the capital manually by messing with the relevant files based on the instructions available on the Internet.

2) Regarding Attila, it seems like you need to kill him manually in battle. I killed him at least three times in automatic battle and it did not help. I also had him assassinated several times; did not help either. In the end, he just died in the historically correct year.

By the way, could it be that the AI has a problem with resettling razed settlements? The Huns razed three roman settlements in the middle of Asia Minor, and although the Eastern Romans own all the settlements around them and could easily afford it with their huge empire, they have not resettled them for decades... I wonder why. There are also many other razed settlements on the map that could be resettled now that the Huns are gone, but the AI seems to be not interested.

In my campaigns, the AI has been pretty eager to resettle razed settlements, so I guess that's down to luck. If you want, you can try reducing the cost required to recolonize (it's in campaign_variables) and see if that changes things. At one point, I had the cost set pretty low, with the result that the AI would just recolonize the whole map. I thought that was a bit much, so it's higher now.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    In my campaigns, the AI has been pretty eager to resettle razed settlements, so I guess that's down to luck. If you want, you can try reducing the cost required to recolonize (it's in campaign_variables) and see if that changes things. At one point, I had the cost set pretty low, with the result that the AI would just recolonize the whole map. I thought that was a bit much, so it's higher now.
    Alright, I will try that. Thanks!

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Nikator View Post
    Alright, I will try that. Thanks!
    There is a mod on the steam workshop. Ai will resettle or AI will colonize, I think. It makes the AI resettle whenever possible.

Attila can be killed only after a certain year