Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    But the wish of becoming a citizen is alluring.........atleast to me .
    Won't happen.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

I personally don't understand the appeal other than having your name in red

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

As a modder at least, imo getting Artifex is an achievement.

Being recognised for any achievement is a nice gesture, for sure, but I was speaking more in terms of the benefits of being a citizen as opposed to not.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Ah right. Then yeah I agree with you that actually being a citizen doesn't give you anything besides it recognising your achievements.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

^That's exactly what the point is, these days, at least.
    Last edited by Frunk; November 12, 2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Not worth it.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    Being recognised for any achievement is a nice gesture, for sure, but I was speaking more in terms of the benefits of being a citizen as opposed to not.
    I love people altruism these days
    On a serious note, what kind of "benefit" would you expect?
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    I love people altruism these days
    I'm seconded this question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnadiw26 View Post
    I'm seconded this question
    In order to answer that question, you need to understand the history.
    Initially, citizenship was bestowed upon you from admin. They would simply suggest your name, have a very informal vote in some cases, and if enough of them agreed, they will offer citizenship. Later, the process was opened up for citizens (if you were a Patrician) and then later all citizens who have been a citizen for 3 months. Back then, there was only one kind of citizen. That was the Civitates. Later, in recognition of modders, they created the "Artifex." The benefits was that you can determine site policy and function. At one time, the Curia even elected a representative that was part of the admin. Later, it was changed that the Curia could "suggest" changes, but the inference is that as long as it was technical feasible, it would be implemented. This change led to a drop in Curia activity. This would lead to the end of the Curia "Golden Age" as someone once referred to it. Many of the "debaters" either dropped their activity or "retreated to the D&D section of the forum. The next era is the Content supremacy era. Activity was still quite good, though much less than it was previously. During this time, CdeC was the most important within the Curia. The CdeC reviewed citizenship applications and handled any discipline issues regarding citizens. As I said the activity was still good; however, regulars were viewed as role- playing. This was probably more due to what the Curia once were and what was at that time; an advisory group. Citizenship still had value despite the loss of the important aspect. Thanks to the development of Content on TWC, the site was full of activity both good and bad. Later (and not too far back in history), the CdeC would be removed. The accusation was that citizenship application was too overly critical of applicants and some were only a member to collect a badge. To be honest, this accusation was probably only true for a few exceptional cases. In the end, the CdeC was removed. Thus began the slow devolving of citizenship. What followed was a slow devolving of citizenship. You once had to be a citizens to be a site moderator. This was changed. The next step was the removal of Citizenship as a "status." This was more symbolic, but an important one. What we have today is a misnomer. We have "citizenship" but you really not a "citizen" of anything. You have a badge, but is really just an award. Patronages for citizenship as dropped dramatically in the past 4 years. If citizenship as little or no value, the patronizing a member for that "award" lacks any prestige as well.

So today, you have a badge, the honor, but you also have a burden. You are still expected to "behave" above the average members. In some cases, when citizenship is suspended for discipline reasons, the member opts to not ask for it back or choose to "resign."
    As i alluded to above, what one would expect for citizenship is a status. A status where your voice will count for something. You still technically have that voice, but current state of affairs discourages things to change anytime soon. Most do not bother or just choose to ignore it. It being the Curia.

Blog Entries

By "current state of affairs", what do you mean? Not sure to get it right.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

First of all-
    the member opts to not ask for it back or choose to "resign."
    HAHAHAHAHA.

Second-Becoming a citizen seems to be harder now than before.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Default How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

Why is that funny? Makes perfect sense to me why you would give up the status if it is just a hinderance.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; November 13, 2017 at 11:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Inderance for what??? To break the ToS? To have a bad behaviour towards the others? That's a bad excuse from my opinion.
    Be honest: you are a Content Staffer. As such, you're also entitled to have a higher standard of behaviour than the common members. Is that a problem for you? Are you about to dismiss from your position just because of that fact?

Now, just to let me understand your views, guys, please answer to these 2 questions:
    1. What made you to come on this site the very first time?
    2. What have made you to stay until today (meaning you're still posting at least in this thread)?
    I'd really like to know, honestly.

Wasn’t from my perspective. Was simply saying it makes perfect sense to me for someone to abandon the status or not seek to re-apply if they couldn’t uphold a certain standard...

At this point I stay on TWC almost solely for the RP section, and that’s also pretty much why I joined. But we’ve felt a hit in that section too, a slow decline of members without many new people coming in to replenish the numbers.

Also in regards to the 'benefits' I was referring to access to the Curia, which is apparently treated as a big deal by some members.
    Last edited by Gandalfus; November 13, 2017 at 12:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for your clarification and answers
    Let's see what others will say.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I was one of the first Civitates (proposed by Siblesz) but resigned before being pushed back into it again several years later and was afterwards ostrakoned because I couldn't be bothered to uphold that certain standard. That said, now I'm no longer a Civitate, I'm probably a better, more considerate poster than I ever was under that system.

By "current state of affairs", what do you mean? Not sure to get it right.
    The present.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    Wasn’t from my perspective. Was simply saying it makes perfect sense to me for someone to abandon the status or not seek to re-apply if they couldn’t uphold a certain standard...
    At this point I stay on TWC almost solely for the RP section, and that’s also pretty much why I joined. But we’ve felt a hit in that section too, a slow decline of members without many new people coming in to replenish the numbers.
    Also in regards to the 'benefits' I was referring to access to the Curia, which is apparently treated as a big deal by some members.
    Currently, the Curia has about 6 active members, another 6 semi-active, and about dozen or so who participate by voting. Voting numbers average less than 20. When I first joined it was at last double that with more than a dozen active members and closer to 40 regular voters. Voting was around 30 votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
    I was one of the first Civitates (proposed by Siblesz) but resigned before being pushed back into it again several years later and was afterwards ostrakoned because I couldn't be bothered to uphold that certain standard. That said, now I'm no longer a Civitate, I'm probably a better, more considerate poster than I ever was under that system.
    Yeah, I actually read the discussion about your removal. You were quite the pistol back then. If I had joined at your age, then I might have a similar story. It is safe to say I was a real SOB in my day.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

What annoys me is bad behaviour from local site moderators. These are people who got the moderator status because they are involved in a mod project. These people then participate in political/historical debates and abuse and insult other members, and they cannot be added to the "ignore" list, plus they seem to think they can get away with anything.

It's a poor state of affairs and I think it should be addressed. If you are a local site moderator, and you go round abusing, insulting and attacking other members clearly in violation of the ToS, there should be consqequences. My 2 cents.

On the positive side, I like the "add reputation" feature. I use it a lot to reward people who I think posted something interesting or praiseworthy.
    Last edited by bigdaddy1204; November 13, 2017 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Its totally off topic, but I subscribe the words of bigdaddy^. It should be possible to add people who are not at the level of real moderators to the ignore list. (But if someone insult you or displays a bad behavior, you should contact Tango)

Inderance for what??? To break the ToS? To have a bad behaviour towards the others? That's a bad excuse from my opinion.
    It would be really stupid resigning citizenship just because when you break the ToS you can lose your badge for a short time.
    Last edited by mishkin; November 13, 2017 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    What annoys me is bad behaviour from local site moderators. These are people who got the moderator status because they are involved in a mod project. These people then participate in political/historical debates and abuse and insult other members, and they cannot be added to the "ignore" list, plus they seem to think they can get away with anything.

It's a poor state of affairs and I think it should be addressed. If you are a local site moderator, and you go round abusing, insulting and attacking other members clearly in violation of the ToS, there should be consqequences. My 2 cents.

On the positive side, I like the "add reputation" feature. I use it a lot to reward people who I think posted something interesting or praiseworthy.
    You already know about the "report" button, so use it. The topic here is not moderation.