Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031 LastLast

Thread: How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

The Noble Lord's Avatar Holy Arab Nation

Default Re: How are you enjoying the slow death of TWC?

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    @The Noble Lord: Why don't you apply to become a Moderator. You seem like a pretty level-headed person and working in the area may give you a different perspective.
    Thank you my friend, but I wanna hit that 10,000 posts mark and then get involved with the administration of the site. It really bothers me when I
    come here and everyone is saying that TWC is about to be shut down. Then I really wanna do something with everyone else so we can re-energize the
    site!

I guess the lack of Total War's popularity has something to do with bringing in fresh faces.
    We were all coming here because we were able to post left and right, but nowadays you get bit apprehensive when you
    go to some sections of the TWC because your carefully written post will be cannibalized and edited without a prior warning!

LOL at people suggesting reddit
    Reddit is a joke, can't be compared to our TWC in any way!

The funny thing is that you joined the year before I did, and yet TWC has a relatively long history of modding and forum debates before that. I would probably agree, though, that the peak years of activity and interest in the forum were something like 2008 to 2014 or such. To be honest, I don't think the Political Mudpit will ever die. It's the one constantly active discussion forum on the site. Also, the modding forums are still incredibly active, even for older titles like M2TW: Kingdoms expansion mods (with Europa Barbarorum II, Third Age: Total War, Stainless Steel: SSHIP, and Westeros: Total War). To be honest it's not all doom and gloom, but it is overall kinda disappointing and depressing when considering the decline of activity across the board.

Lot's of good points, and it's true when you say that all is not lost yet. For me the best years were 2008-2009 and all the way up until 2016 I would say.
    I used to make 100+ posts per night, plus the PMs and social groups... Man, we were so busy. I remember sitting for one of my end of the year exams
    and thinking about what happened last night in the Mudpit and who said what...

Anyhow, I believe three pronged attack should be made:

1. Relax and change moderation practices!
    2. Advertise to TW community that this is still the best place for mods!
    3. Increase incentives for members, restore reputation, etc.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    أسد العراق Asad al-Iraq
    KOSOVO IS SERBIA!!!
    Under the proud patronage of the magnificent Tzar

Indefinitely Banned

I like your ideas Noble. TWC is going the way of .Org but it's not there yet. I believe there is still time to save the forum before it crosses that point of no return. I look at past posts on this forum and how many times have you guys seen the "Old Guard" leave and the "newer" guys finally step up and TWC keeps going? I know one day TWC might finally die out, but as long as Total War games are still being made, there's no reason why the forum can't survive another 5 years (maybe even another 10) at the very least, but, that is of course, if the members want it to last that long?

I think the only time you'll (and us) will see TWC truly die out and have us wake up one day with a "We're shutting down at the ending of the month/year" type of message is when 1 of two things happens:

1. Total War games stops being produced. Unless TWC adapts to a new game series (e.g. BF,COD....) people will leave. Modders and their followers first, then us soon after (due to boredom, IRL issues, etc.....). So when that happens, probably 3 years I give TWC before you see it tank. If you have to change it to Battlefield Center (BFC) or Call of Duty Central (CoDC) then so be it.

2. If people right now truly don't care. If no one steps up now, the decline will keep going, and what I said in point 1 will happen a lot sooner.

Make it fun again for everyone. It seems like TWC used to be the type of forum it was so big, you could be on it for 5-10 years active, and still had people on the forum who don't even know who you were. Not that you didn't post, but because there was so much to do. Make it fun for modders again, for political debates (civil of course), for regular random chat (TD), Coliseum and so on. Push the Site Awards, make it mean something to the members instead of being a colorful badge/ "cool" contest. Same thing with being on staff, make it fun and useful so people want to contribute.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    The funny thing is that you joined the year before I did, and yet TWC has a relatively long history of modding and forum debates before that. I would probably agree, though, that the peak years of activity and interest in the forum were something like 2008 to 2014 or such. To be honest, I don't think the Political Mudpit will ever die. It's the one constantly active discussion forum on the site. Also, the modding forums are still incredibly active, even for older titles like M2TW: Kingdoms expansion mods (with Europa Barbarorum II, Third Age: Total War, Stainless Steel: SSHIP, and Westeros: Total War). To be honest it's not all doom and gloom, but it is overall kinda disappointing and depressing when considering the decline of activity across the board.

I just hope people will remember my "ask me, Vladimir Putin, a question" thread years from now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Noble Lord View Post
    Thank you my friend, but I wanna hit that 10,000 posts mark and then get involved with the administration of the site. It really bothers me when I
    come here and everyone is saying that TWC is about to be shut down. Then I really wanna do something with everyone else so we can re-energize the
    site!

We were all coming here because we were able to post left and right, but nowadays you get bit apprehensive when you
    go to some sections of the TWC because your carefully written post will be cannibalized and edited without a prior warning!

Reddit is a joke, can't be compared to our TWC in any way!

Lot's of good points, and it's true when you say that all is not lost yet. For me the best years were 2008-2009 and all the way up until 2016 I would say.
    I used to make 100+ posts per night, plus the PMs and social groups... Man, we were so busy. I remember sitting for one of my end of the year exams
    and thinking about what happened last night in the Mudpit and who said what...

Anyhow, I believe three pronged attack should be made:

1. Relax and change moderation practices!
    2. Advertise to TW community that this is still the best place for mods!
    3. Increase incentives for members, restore reputation, etc. [/I]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Shogun Panther View Post
    I like your ideas Noble. TWC is going the way of .Org but it's not there yet. I believe there is still time to save the forum before it crosses that point of no return. I look at past posts on this forum and how many times have you guys seen the "Old Guard" leave and the "newer" guys finally step up and TWC keeps going? I know one day TWC might finally die out, but as long as Total War games are still being made, there's no reason why the forum can't survive another 5 years (maybe even another 10) at the very least, but, that is of course, if the members want it to last that long?

I think the only time you'll (and us) will see TWC truly die out and have us wake up one day with a "We're shutting down at the ending of the month/year" type of message is when 1 of two things happens:

1. Total War games stops being produced. Unless TWC adapts to a new game series (e.g. BF,COD....) people will leave. Modders and their followers first, then us soon after (due to boredom, IRL issues, etc.....). So when that happens, probably 3 years I give TWC before you see it tank. If you have to change it to Battlefield Center (BFC) or Call of Duty Central (CoDC) then so be it.

2. If people right now truly don't care. If no one steps up now, the decline will keep going, and what I said in point 1 will happen a lot sooner.

Make it fun again for everyone. It seems like TWC used to be the type of forum it was so big, you could be on it for 5-10 years active, and still had people on the forum who don't even know who you were. Not that you didn't post, but because there was so much to do. Make it fun for modders again, for political debates (civil of course), for regular random chat (TD), Coliseum and so on. Push the Site Awards, make it mean something to the members instead of being a colorful badge/ "cool" contest. Same thing with being on staff, make it fun and useful so people want to contribute.
    Back then there was hope. I remember that i came across TWC because in my ignorance i thought TWC was trying to steal M2TOTAL REALISM AGE OF AMBITION mod. I knew nothing about sites or internet i just wanted to have a realy good mod.
    Since 2007 that i came here hundreds of mods created and equal number of them died in their attempt to release. But in the end there was hope that something new will rise!
    MARKA team gave the last breath the M2TW/Kingdoms mods with its primary material and many great modders with their constant efforts to create tools to allow more creations. All these people gane TWC (TWC is its members) hope!
    Today HOPE is what is missing. Why ? Because we "allowed" our power as consumers/customers to slip away from our hands. Now no tools can be made , no mods that those that CA/SEGA allows to be created we can have.
    That is why TWC is dying. The moderation issue is a very sensitive and complex matter that 100 people will present 100 diferent prospectives. But in the end those that run TWC will deside waht will happen to TWC with their policies in modding , moderation and other issues. We need the hope that CA/SEGA with its last years policy against modding has taken from us.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

man, I remember me making threads like these in 2010 when i just had joined, but forum do indeed seem to be really quiet. To bad, was a great place.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Rage, rage against the dying of the light!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light!
    Well said, Swaeft! I'm excited about the new mods and mod releases of 2018 - here are just some of them - and the new AARs, creative writing, hot-seat games and other activities here.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Diglytron View Post
    man, I remember me making threads like these in 2010 when i just had joined, but forum do indeed seem to be really quiet. To bad, was a great place.
    Less active yeah...really quiet ? not at all. Other forums are closing every day, but as you can see TWC is still alive and kicking..

False! I am a testament (albeit a small one) that new members are still joining. It's not even that I'm a new player, I've been playing since Med 2, and have lurked these forums for mod info for years. But sometimes when technology advances our focus changes to other platforms that solve our need quicker. Hence so many players taking part in Discords and Youtube channels for flashier and quicker access to their TW content. But for example, the reason I joined TWC finally as a member is that so I can learn from the thriving fiction writing content that takes place here from veteran AAR writers (I literally just discovered this!)... So while TWC will not be the market holder for flashy and quick content feedback, I believe it will continue to thrive as a foundation for deeper and thoughtful discussions on TW and it's contribution to our favourite histories and lore.

Looking forward to taking part and enjoying this community.

P.S. How do I change my profile picture??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aga_Sher_Khan View Post
    False! I am a testament (albeit a small one) that new members are still joining. It's not even that I'm a new player, I've been playing since Med 2, and have lurked these forums for mod info for years. But sometimes when technology advances our focus changes to other platforms that solve our need quicker. Hence so many players taking part in Discords and Youtube channels for flashier and quicker access to their TW content. But for example, the reason I joined TWC finally as a member is that so I can learn from the thriving fiction writing content that takes place here from veteran AAR writers (I literally just discovered this!)... So while TWC will not be the market holder for flashy and quick content feedback, I believe it will continue to thrive as a foundation for deeper and thoughtful discussions on TW and it's contribution to our favourite histories and lore.

Looking forward to taking part and enjoying this community.

P.S. How do I change my profile picture??? lol
    Welcome to the Forums

You can edit your profile pic,avatar and signature from your user control panel (signatures and the ability to edit your own posts will be available after 1 week and 25 posts). You can find more info here.
    Please, also make yourself familiar with TWC Official:Terms of Service so you could have an easier and more pleasant experience around the Forum.

May you have a thriving stay with us!

Best regards,
    G.S
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 06, 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Thanks! Do you have any tips on navigating the threads and where should I subscribe for imp notifications?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Thanks! Do you have any tips on navigating the threads and where should I subscribe for imp notifications?
    it depends on what you are looking for/like to do; give me more details and I will address you to the right places
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

No problem buddy

As my esteemed colleague Flinn said, just name your preferred fields of interest and the Staff will guide you accordingly. Feel free to reach us anytime, for any question or issue you may have!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Well said, Swaeft! I'm excited about the new mods and mod releases of 2018 - here are just some of them - and the new AARs, creative writing, hot-seat games and other activities here.
    Are these mods that can carry the title mod? Graphics (re-coloring) mods are nothing comparing to REAL mods like:
    RTR
    RS II
    SS
    Rot3K
    Deus lo Volt
    TATW
    Do you want me to continue? All these mods tranfered players to an entire diferent game not simply changing swords with axes or paint something blue to red!!!
    So in the list you mention CAN YOU find a SINGLE MOD that has all those creterias that older real OVERHAUL mods had?
    JUST ONE SINGLE MOD!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Checking the forums for the first time in a loooooong time.

I stopped being active here since Shogun 2. After that it started going downhill with the quality of Total War games and the modding scene as well.

Not the fault of the forums that it's losing popularity. I think it's just the games...

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Welcome back, Lord of Lost Socks

There's more to this forum than just mods, even though modding is an integral part of TWC. I myself came back after a 5 year hiatus because, after all this time, I still find TWC to be the premier site on the net for writing game stories, no other site has such an extensive list of AARs and quality advice. I also find the Picture of the Week competitions a really cool thing to have, and recently I've delved into the D&D and the Thema Devia as well.

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

This forum brings back Nostalgia of when i first played Rome 1 in 2004. I have to admit part of what made me become inactive for years was the anti-TW posts that hated on the current TW games as well as the Steam Workshop making me post less.
    I also got old. 33 atm.

LOL, I didn't join until I was past 40. Then again, I was "retired" from political and social debates.

La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham's Avatar Artifex♔Duffer♔Civitate
    The Den,with a massive pair of binoculars, surveying TWC, ensuring members are laughing & happy!

I was 45 when I joined for ETW and have stayed on and off for 10 years, 10 years of ups and downs, luckily I am thick skinned and that has served me well, that and always trying to add humour to any given situation, TWC is more than just TW games, there are a lot of excellent members here, who spend their free time contributing to the site, and despite what some people think, do not get paid.
    And while we contribute in meaningful ways TWC wont die overnight,some of us wont let it! oh no by Jove.

"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained Dufferism"

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by La♔De♔Da♔Brigadier Graham View Post
    ... TWC is more than just TW games, there are a lot of excellent members here, who spend their free time contributing to the site ...
    someone has really went the extra mile, TWC is the only place so big that I know off that is fully based on free contributors.. heck we managed to keep it running despite the owner and the whole tech people being MIA for months and years, what else to say?
    Last edited by Flinn; June 10, 2019 at 06:50 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    someone has really went the extra mile, TWC is the only place so big that I know off that is fully based on free contributors.. heck we managed to keep it running despite the owner and the whole tech people being MIA for months and years, what else to say?
    Nothing much, really! I don't know any Forum or Site which managed to survive under similar circumstances and I'm a member-moderator to at least a dozen.
    TWC is a and always will be unique