Thread: Far cry 2 review (old game ) .

Default Far cry 2 review (old game ) .

The guards at the guardpost are happy .There’s not much traffic today and so they are joking and drinking hard liquor .Its a happy scene until the camera changes to the tall grass on the mountain opposite them .Concealed in the grass is a sniper rifle .Then a hand is seen and it loads up the sniper .Then we see a scope .Taking a deep breathe the sniper fires .The happy scene vanishes as the first guard explodes in an orgy of blood .But then the second guard receives the same fate ,and the third and the fourth until all that’s left are the vultures .

If you have seen the movie ‘Predator’ and want to feel what it feels like to be a predator then you must play Far cry 2 ,an open world first person shooter released by Ubisoft .

In Far cry 2 you play the role of a random mercenary sent to an unknown land in the middle of Africa ,war torn and dirty this nation is on the brink of civil war between two factions ,the APR headed by an ex military commander Oliver Tambossa and the UFLL headed by Eddie Mbatumbe .You have been sent to kill a mysterious arms dealer called the Jackal who is arming both sides with deadly modern weapons to keep the conflict alive .

The presentation of this game is brilliant .The game goes a long way to make the player feel they are in an unknown and hostile foreign land .The grungy shacks,the tigerskins,the smoke,shanty towns and armed youngsters all contribute to give an absolute brilliant OUT THERE feeling .But then there’s the nature. There are trees and zebras and the sand flying in your face and also fire .Fire is a big thing in this game .The game designers have achieved the most realistic simulation of fire .So everytime you throw that moltov cocktail watch out for the winds .The fire may fly in your face!

The AI is also absolutely good .They react in unique and un preplanned ways .If you attack them with a sniper on a dark night and they cant tell where the shots are coming from then they start to panic and take up positions .They don’t behave like killbots designed solely for the purpose of killing you .They give off a feeling that they too want to live .Even better if you had that silencer on your sniper rifle!Stealth is also realistic in this game .Like its sequels Far cry 2 doesn’t have blind enemies who cant see or feel your presence nearby .And if they know where you are hiding at ,then they will behave like a group and hunt you down .

Gameplay is good overall with some drawbacks .Far cry 2 has a breakdown machine or whatever you call it .The guns,cars and even your own body is vulnerable .Used guns start to wither out and eventually break or blast right in your hands .Similarily if driven for too long in a bad manner then cars will start smoking and you will have to repair them .Lets hope all this doesn’t happen in a gunbattle .Imagine you are in an intense gunfight and your gun jams!GAME OVER .Your character gets malaria right at the start of the game .Malaria attacks can happen anytime,even in the middle of a battle so the game can lead you to some pretty desperate moments .If you are injured then you will see these great animations of you removing the bullet from your hand and the blood spilling out .GORE .

The graphics as I said above are absolutely beautiful with the jungles and deserts and shanty towns of Africa .The music is cool too smelling of Africa and giving you that out there feel as I mentioned earlier .

This game does have some major drawbacks .To give you a feeling of desperation the game makers decided to make all enemies respawn after a couple of minutes of killing them .So after some time you feel like all you are doing is clearing one guard post after other and again the same on your way back .This makes the game repetitive and boring .Personally I also find the constant patrol cars finding and hunting you down to be tedious .They come right at you while you are fighting with a different set of enemies and try to mow you down .

All in all despite its drawbacks ,Far cry 2 is a brilliant old game that I definitely think you should try out for its uniqueness ,boldness,originality and sheer style.

I cant give any verdict points to this great game because those are a matter of taste .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Default Re: Far cry 2 review (old game ) .

I found the game to be absurd in its completely unrealistic portrayal of firearms.

Yes guns can jam, and yes guns can wear out... Do guns jam every 10-15 rounds? No... Not any weapon that would be used in a war anyway... Do guns break after a few hours or a few hundred rounds? No...

I own an Uzi and it has never had a jam. It has had a few failure to fire issues related to light strikes on the primer [mostly due to the ammunition], but that is immediately resolved by manually operating/cycling the bolt. It takes about 1 second to resolve.

I went through a multiple day tactical pistol course and put about 1200 rounds through my pistol without maintenance, cleaning, or anything more than a basic wipe down and addition of oil to a few key places after day 1, and the weapon never jammed or failed to fire. Quality weapons tend not to jam and tend not to fail to fire.

I found Far Cry so annoying in its portrayal of guns, and in the endless chases and re-spawning of enemies, that I had to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    I found the game to be absurd in its completely unrealistic portrayal of firearms.

Yes guns can jam, and yes guns can wear out... Do guns jam every 10-15 rounds? No... Not any weapon that would be used in a war anyway... Do guns break after a few hours or a few hundred rounds? No...

I own an Uzi and it has never had a jam. It has had a few failure to fire issues related to light strikes on the primer [mostly due to the ammunition], but that is immediately resolved by manually operating/cycling the bolt. It takes about 1 second to resolve.

I went through a multiple day tactical pistol course and put about 1200 rounds through my pistol without maintenance, cleaning, or anything more than a basic wipe down and addition of oil to a few key places after day 1, and the weapon never jammed or failed to fire. Quality weapons tend not to jam and tend not to fail to fire.

I found Far Cry so annoying in its portrayal of guns, and in the endless chases and re-spawning of enemies, that I had to quit.
    It's a game mechanic. If you use weapons dropped by enemies they will jam sooner rather than later. If you buy a weapon from the various arms dealers and buy a weapons reliability upgrade then it will not jam.

It's silly I know as an AK47 is pretty much a weapon that you can use without looking after it (in comparison to an AR15) but it's a game mechanic such as the way you can use a knife to repair yourself after being shot...

As for check points I go on foot as much as possible, make extensive use of the bus system and only use a car on the outside of the map. For the most part if you are stealthy enough checkpoints aren't a problem.

That and the malaria mechanic is part of the challenge of the game.

Overall a pretty good first person shooter but it's not ARMA

so how was the review .

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    so how was the review .
    Concise summery of an excellent shooter for grown ups.

"I hate mortars..."

Thank you for the compliment .Please comment if you liked my short and fast review .

Campidoctor

What coincidence is this? I JUST wrote about Far Cry 2, praising the atmosphere of this game. Now this thread pops up. After several years. Exactly timed. Crazy coincidence.

I think Far Cry 2 was really great. It lacked in many ways, but it's raw, unforgiving nature is something I do really miss in newer games. In no other Far Cry did I feel like I am in the wilderness, truly struggling for survival. Except Primal with the Survivor update maybe.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I loved the healing animations. Very brutal.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Nice to see this review. I got this game with a GTX 280 when I did my first PC build in late '08. Loved Far Cry 2 to death although we met entirely by accident. It's still installed on my current PC (build number 4) and I still think it's ridiculously fun to play. And it is a serious game, meaning the themes are for adults and the atmosphere is oppressive and is consistent with the theme, unlike subsequent Far Cry iterations. I have a vague sense of hope that the upcoming Far Cry will fully commit to this formula again but I doubt it.