In the game all Catholic units speak Latin, all Islamic speak what I assume is Arabic and all Orthodox speak what I assume is Russian. Now it is obvious this is very much simplifying history and was done so by limitations of time or funds of the CA during the time, but let's not go deeper into that.

What I'm curious about is the status of Latin in the Western European armies during the time period. Latin was, according to my knowledge, the language of not only the Church and the scholars, but also the Catholic nobility. Even if they would speak more 'vulgar' languages as their native tongues, they were expected to know Latin at least to some degree. In this manner the Latin served as the 'international language' of the time and area. So in this sense, the nobles issuing commands to each others in Latin would be reasonable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

However, the soldiers of lowly origins is what I like to know about. Were the commands shouted at the language most common in the unit, or Latin? Very few common soldiers could understand Latin to usable degree, but it wouldn't require much either to teach a man to understand what one is expected to do when unfamiliar words are shouted. Or not even that might be required, if several enough understand what to do, then the rest in the unit can just follow example.

The commands from the general would be issued with horns or flags or messengers to the entire army, but what I'm truly after are the nobles (or dedicated non-noble officers?) relaying the orders to the unit he's commanding.

Does anybody know? Does medieval writers give mentions of the language used in armies among the soldiers of lowly origins?