Thread: Varangian Guard Byzantium High Period?

Icon5 Varangian Guard Byzantium High Period?

Hello, having launched a game with Byzantium high period year 1330 approximately, I noticed that the Varangian Guard had disappeared! there is indeed a starting unit but I don't see the usual conditions for recruiting one.

is it possible to unlock it, where and how? does it risk disappearing during the game like the vikings with the danes?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Varangian Guard Byzantium High Period?

Quote Originally Posted by flo463 View Post
    Hello, having launched a game with Byzantium high period year 1330 approximately, I noticed that the Varangian Guard had disappeared! there is indeed a starting unit but I don't see the usual conditions for recruiting one.

is it possible to unlock it, where and how? does it risk disappearing during the game like the vikings with the danes?
    Yes, the Varangians are not possible to recruit for the entire game. You lose access to the unit. Thus, it is advisable to recruit a ton of them before you lose access to them
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

your statement is not very clear, I understood that it was no longer possible to recruit them from 1330 but since it is possible to recruit them in early/middle but my question was about how to unlock them in High period via the game files? (I've never done this kind of thing, I don't know where and how to start)

do they disappear during the game for a game started in early/middle?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by flo463 View Post

do they disappear during the game for a game started in early/middle?
    Yes and that happens before 1330. I am not sure what files control when they become available and when they stop being available though, sorry that I can't help you more
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Yes and that happens before 1330. I am not sure what files control when they become available and when they stop being available though, sorry that I can't help you more

I guess it's supposed to represent the "decadence" of Byzantium but it makes no sense for a Powerful/Resurgent Byzantium to lose the ability to recruit them lol! (it did the same to me with the Danes)

Thanks anyway for taking the time to respond. I wish you a good night/day

Units do not disappear due to the onset of a period in which they become unavailable for training. But if you select a unit for training and the training is not completed when the unavailable period comes, then this unit will be removed from the training slot. Of course, this is only possible with units that require more than 1 turn to train - for example, the Varangian Guard. This is easy to see if you put this unit on training in 1320.

To make the Varangian Guard available at a later period in the vanilla campaign, you need to edit the file CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.txt . I recommend keeping a copy of the original. Open the file, find the entry "Varangian Guard". Now find the entry "EARLY, HIGH" in the text. After "HIGH" enter ",LATE". Save the changes. There is another similar entry below in the text, but this is not for campaigns, but for individual battles.

By the way, there is also a unit "Varangian Guards" (in the file it is "EarlyVarangianGuard"). For some reason, the developers left him inactive - he is not available in the campaign for training and even as a mercenar(this, of course, is corrected by editing).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000036.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	718.1 KB 
ID:	368880

Quote Originally Posted by Welder2 View Post
    Units do not disappear due to the onset of a period in which they become unavailable for training. But if you select a unit for training and the training is not completed when the unavailable period comes, then this unit will be removed from the training slot. Of course, this is only possible with units that require more than 1 turn to train - for example, the Varangian Guard. This is easy to see if you put this unit on training in 1320.

To make the Varangian Guard available at a later period in the vanilla campaign, you need to edit the file CRUSADERS_UNIT_PROD11.txt . I recommend keeping a copy of the original. Open the file, find the entry "Varangian Guard". Now find the entry "EARLY, HIGH" in the text. After "HIGH" enter ",LATE". Save the changes. There is another similar entry below in the text, but this is not for campaigns, but for individual battles.

By the way, there is also a unit "Varangian Guards" (in the file it is "EarlyVarangianGuard"). For some reason, the developers left him inactive - he is not available in the campaign for training and even as a mercenar(this, of course, is corrected by editing).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00000036.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	718.1 KB 
ID:	368880
    I tryed the file is under notepad and a mess, a horrible block of text just looking at it makes my eyes hurt 😱

honestly it doesn't surprise me, if I remember exactly in the CD version, Poland gave a bonus to Polish vassals, this bonus mysteriously disappeared? 🤔