Thread: Why I love M2TW game despite the newer TW games after that.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Why I love M2TW game despite the newer TW games after that.

Lets start from the obvius.
    Every game has its bad and it good features. No game can be perfect because they are made by humans. Also game is a matter of personal taste of what is nice to have in a game and what is not.
    Medieval 2 Total War and espesialy its expansion "Kingdoms" is by far the best game for me to enjoy.
    I explain my self.
    The game is old and ofcourse can not be compared in "apearence" with the most recent games. Graphics for example are out of competition and its rather natural.
    But modding the game I was forced to nottice some things the game has as features that no other game managed to have since.
    Animations are one such feature. The battle mechanics that include animations as part of pleasure of a player to watch and "participate" in a battle are still out of reach for anyother TW game.
    For a reason unknown to me, models act more naturaly ussing their weapons, walking or running, clombing ladders or ussing siege equipments.
    Ofcourse M2TW horses were aufull compared to those of Rome II and Attila but both games do not allow real time "participation" in close watch combat to ENJOY animations and feel that "you are actually" in that battle!
    Timming problem, boundry sphears one? I am not a technisian to know. Also M2TW game does not allow its horsemen to get down of their horses. True...
    Some will counter my arguments about animations with "yea but in Attila , human mouths are moving, eyes bling etc"...I will agree, but in a battle simulator are the eyes the most critical factor of pleasure or natural sword swing of a horseman
    getting ready to cut an enemy infantry man?

In the picture above please ignore the models and textures because they are results of moddifications. Simply focus your attention in the horseman in the far right end of the picture that uses the original
    animations of the game made by that game's devepoping team more than 10 years ago!
    The same exists here...

Despite the fact that the models are not from original game watch how "naturaly" horsemen get close and engage and watch the man in the center ussing his spear seconds before he will use his sword!
    I was amased when i realised that game had realistic javelin throwing animations:
    See the following steps in the box:
    Launching javeling phases.

In the 1st picture watch how javeling is carrying by the horsemen.

In the 2nd picture the next phase of launching the javelin follow.
    The man in the center is about to launch his javelin, the one in front has just thrown his own and the one in the end is about to "recieve" a new javelin to go to phase 1 lik ein the 1st picture.

The guy infront looks like the guy in the following picture.

The guys closer to our eyes has just launched his javelin.
    I REPEAT these are the original animations provided by the original game. I have not seen such detailed animations in the most recent TW (historical) games or IF there are the games did not provide enough time to me as a player to enjoy them!

Conclusion: What i still love in this game is the fact that i can enjoy battles watching them fron within with out the need to freeze the game to have the pleasure to see details!
    Cameras help alot, time of animations help also!
    Is the game perfect? No..Since day one i asked Rome I siege mechanics (with multiple siege armies attacking same city from different directions ussing THEIR OWN siege equipment that included tunnels.
    But playing Rome II and Attila I gladly returned to M2TW/Kingdoms just to see enemy siege armies to RE-USE unharmed ladders, or rams to use them in the NEXT line of walls without any problem.
    I could not avoid comparison with the dammest AI of both Rome II and Attila. I exclude Warhammer since I have not played the game and it would be unfair to make conclusions about something I do not have personal opinion.
    In the end I was happy with CA/SEGA's announcement about Warhammer II. That way we avoided a new "historical" title embaracement AGAIN!
    Now -without any new historical title to wait- I will feel free to stay focused in M2TW and enjoy smooth battles, massive sieges huge settlements, multiple armies in the field that take orders by you etc.
    Those things are those that make me still love M2TW. I have not naval battles...true but after Shogun II TW naval battles are so idiotic that their only use is to stay and watch the ships models.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Why I love M2TW game despite the newer TW games after that.

I agree, Anthonius. By far the game that I play most is still Medieval II. The thing that has given it such life is a combination of a great time period, a good base game and above all the huge number of mods made by the community. I am playing campaigns in EBII, Broken Crescent, Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Anatolian Principalities. In my opinion it is these mods that have given the game such an enormously long life.

There are a number of features that are in Medieval II that I miss in Attila. The chivalry and dread mechanic, the ability to offer and demand settlements in diplomacy, the character traits, the assassination and marriage videos, and the ability to manage each individual unit separately without the need of a general are all important; also, the wider selection of buildings in Medieval II is an advantage. In addition, the in game information cards for buildings and units are much better in Medieval II, whereas in Attila they are relegated to a slow and generic encyclopedia which is not as good. Also the units in Medieval II don't blob together so much and they don't move so fast in combat, making it easier to see what's going on. Combat animations are too fast in Attila and units glide around through each other, making it difficult to see what is happening. That doesn't happen so much in Medieval II.

Attila is miles better than Rome II; if they could just bring back the features from Medieval II that I listed above, we'd have a really good game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Default Re: Why I love M2TW game despite the newer TW games after that.

preach.

ive come to like the successor to mtw2 well enough, but i can never shake the feeling that they could do far better with the technical possibilities of today, but they wont, for various reasons.

mtw2 did (almost) all it could with what it had, but they never used the chance to improve on top of that.