Thread: Need more multi-player campaign slots... Combined campaign and only two players? Come on!

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Default Need more multi-player campaign slots... Combined campaign and only two players? Come on!

Title is self explanatory. Hope CA still view these forums...

Simply put, two players in a super-massive campaign isn't going to be very interactive. Heck, even two on one map can be dull... hope CA do a Paradox and learn that multi-player can mean more than two!
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

Default Re: Need more multi-player campaign slots... Combined campaign and only two players? Come on!

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiTJ2 View Post
    Title is self explanatory. Hope CA still view these forums...

Simply put, two players in a super-massive campaign isn't going to be very interactive. Heck, even two on one map can be dull... hope CA do a Paradox and learn that multi-player can mean more than two!
    I agree. I wonder why they have not done this before, since the whole co-op campaign system has been the same since napoleon. How hard can it be, are they having major issues adding more players to mp campaign?

Default Re: Need more multi-player campaign slots... Combined campaign and only two players? Come on!

And i need 500000 euros....
    If you think about it a co op with more than 2 players would take ages to complete. More like a hotseat. If it isnt for that i dont know what the limits of the campaign are.

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    And i need 500000 euros....
    If you think about it a co op with more than 2 players would take ages to complete. More like a hotseat. If it isnt for that i dont know what the limits of the campaign are.
    Hotseat were only 2 players can fight battles at a time? Well that would basicly be 4 player co-op with a bit more limited battle options, still plausible to me and a huge improvement.

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

I am personally a player who sets enjoyment and fun as the top priority. How this is achieved for each player is depended by the individuals, but I think the limitations should be set by the players, not the game.

If two players want to have a co-op and the game allows for two, there's no problem. If these two players want to play and the game allows for more, again, no problem. BUT if more players wants to play, by some miracle the game would run just fine and these players have enough great time to justify longer turn times, then they are the ones losing in this deal if the game does not allow for them all to play.

Unfortunately the programming quality of the multiplayer campaigns in Total Wars are less than desirable, meaning in practise it truly requires very good luck for a campaign of more players to work properly for adequate lengths. That is something that CA should fix. I don't know how easy it would be - but I doubt it would be impossible.

Once I red a claim that only 2% of multiplayer campaigns in Shogun 2 would be finished, and this was used as an argument against having more players for multiplayer campaigns. I assume the number won't differ too much in other tw games either. Here I return to my priority, saying having a good time is more important than managing to end the campaign.

A valid argument I've seen is that co-op would become too easy if several players were to play together for a common goal. That is entirely true, and it would be the only valid reason to either set some limitations or bring the difficulty up depending on the amount of players. Of course, the argument didn't have anything to do with versus campaigns. They wouldn't be too much altered by rising player numbers.

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Just think CA are lazy tbh and don't treat co-op as a priority, rather, just release more DLC as soon as they can.

Why would you prevent people playing in a 10 player co-op campaign... no-one here plays Total War for a 'quick, arcade' game... heck, we're all strategy fans... we're in for the grind!
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

I guess because its a feature thats only intresting for less than 5% of the TW Players.
    I didn't play co-op but if its working like the single player that every one does his turn after another...
    10 players... come on that would take around 1h per turn if everyone is doing his turn in 6 Minutes.

So you need 10 Persons that have at least 1.5h time (strategy map + battles)
    at the same time to play a game... well not really play a game its more waiting till others have finished.
    So how long would it take to finish such a game 1/2 year?

Run it on 1 PC as Host with other pcs connecting or as hot-seat?
    What if one player leaves?

And I think from the cost for improving Co-Op Campaign wouldn't create any RoI for CA
    because thats a Feature that wouldn't increase the sales.

I doubt that CA would invest money to create a feauter that doesn't increase their sales
    or improves gameplay for the majority of players.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

I think they talked about it in one of the interviews, maybe not at the very begging, but for the mega campaign map they have to make more slots.