Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer II announced

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    I could not care less what CA said. I am shock to find this kind of animations in a 2016 AAA game. They are comparable to RTW animations : a game 13 years old. Even Medieval II total war, a 11 year old game has better animations. Come on.
    Actually the overall quality of the animations are way better then any TW game, only thing they removed was that all units had kill animations(very few still has unique kill animations). As a Warhammer fan I can tell you that CA put alot of effort into those animations to get the units to move and attack as they should and they nailed it and it looks beautiful. The sight of a Gorebull charging into a unit of infantry and doing so by jumping into them head first is glorious.
    And let's remove the rose-tinted glasses, 60% of the time in RTW2 when two infantry units were fighting, they were just swinging their weapons randomly in the air and someone dies. Kill animations were not that plentiful and most of the time you never saw them to begin with but they did have an effect on performance. This is why I can imagine few people were upset over the removal of the kill animations, it wasn't a big deal to begin with.

I have no issues during Rome 2 and Atilla 20 units vs 20 units battles. Anyway CA should either fix its graphic engine or works with the textures which are the sole source of trouble and are not even than great for today standard.
    I had no problem either with 20 vs 20 in Rome or Attila but most of the time I never fought 20 vs 20 since the AI usually had 2 full-stack armies next to each other which meant that I had to bring 2 full stacks as well, now we are starting see battles turn into slide-shows.
    Warhammer has the same thing even tho I would say that 20vs20 are more common but larger battles then that are still plentiful but despite having better graphics and alot more special effects going on due to artillery, gunpowder weapons, spells going off and all that, I can play 40vs40 with no performance hit.
    So if you give me the choice of smooth large battles with kill animations over smooth massive battles without kill animations, I will take massive battles any day.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

And let's remove the rose-tinted glasses, 60% of the time in RTW2 when two infantry units were fighting, they were just swinging their weapons randomly in the air and someone dies.
    It is funny when people talk about rose-tinted glasses just as they are to say a hyper exaggeration.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It is funny when people talk about rose-tinted glasses just as they are to say a hyper exaggeration.

And funny enough, neither proves your point.
    I already acknowledged that aren't any kill animation or I guess sync-kills I think it was called but I always called it kill animations and yet funny enough in the spartan video you see several times how some persians just dies even tho no one touched them. Not that I cared but if people bring it up then I will bring that up as well.
    But posting videos showing said kill animations as proof that Warhammer doesn't have them is well not really proving it since as I said, no one disputes that Warhammer doesn't have kill animation.
    But you said that Warhammer had worse animations then Medieval 2, your own video showed that it has better animations then Medieval 2.
    Both games mo-capped the animations so humans move and swing their weapons in way that it looks natural and it does.
    Now if you are not familar with the Warhammer universe I will understand if you think say that the steam tank is animated strangely or the orcs, goblins and trolls. So if that's the case then fair enough, I can understand your point but that doesn't mean they are badly animated.
    CA has done their research and in places where the fluff doesn't go they came up good solutions for example demigryph knights who no one knew how they moved, it's not explained in the fluff so CA came up with the idea that they would move and charge like a feline animal and it works. Add to this, all the monsters, beastmen, the spiders especially the Arachnarok spider moves like it should and it's attacks are well animated and so on.
    But if your complaint is due to them not connecting with their swings and is why you are trashing all of the animations in the game because of that then yeah, let it go, see things as a whole rather then get caught up on minor things which this is.

So are you saying warhammer is bad because they got rid of the old 1v1 fighting system that was a reason for grand critique in Rome 2 and Attila? At least in warhammer the individual fighters react to all others around.

Apropos to the thread title/OP...

I'm finding it hard to engage all that deeply with the fantasy stylings of Warhammer, but it is objectively a pretty amazing game and I've had a fair bit of fun with it. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for in sheer variety.

Obviously, I would prefer to be playing a historical title, but that's no reason to be getting aggro that this was another WH announcement. Honestly, if I had the choice of playing an extremely well-conceived and polished history title in late 2019 or a half-baked piece of crap like Rome II was for its first year, hands down the first.

I honestly see the big hiatus as a good thing. New engine perhaps. Entirely new era of warfare. Perhaps a much-needed overhaul of some of the series' fundamental mechanics. These things all need time... and at the very least, Warhammer is giving them that.

Mmm, I'm not surprised they came out with Warhammer II considering it was a massive financial success for them. On-going commitment to the franchise means we will likely get improved models, animations, and bug fixes. Warhammer II is a welcome addition since it's really more like a DLC Expansion Pack than "just" an expansion pack or DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrin View Post
    Apropos to the thread title/OP...

I'm finding it hard to engage all that deeply with the fantasy stylings of Warhammer, but it is objectively a pretty amazing game and I've had a fair bit of fun with it. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for in sheer variety.

Obviously, I would prefer to be playing a historical title, but that's no reason to be getting aggro that this was another WH announcement. Honestly, if I had the choice of playing an extremely well-conceived and polished history title in late 2019 or a half-baked piece of crap like Rome II was for its first year, hands down the first.

I honestly see the big hiatus as a good thing. New engine perhaps. Entirely new era of warfare. Perhaps a much-needed overhaul of some of the series' fundamental mechanics. These things all need time... and at the very least, Warhammer is giving them that.
    I would be very surprised if the next historical title came out on the same engine as Attila, even Warhammer's engine. I never expected this announcement to be the historical title anyway, and honestly, I think they will release Warhammer 3 before as well.

When Empire total war came out I thought it was a buggy release. But then Napoleon released later that was a polished Empire sort of. Then there was Rome 2, which was a horrible buggy release but Attila came out that was more polished game as well. Shogun 2 came out between Napoleon and Rome 2, and I thought it was a good release. And then Warhammer has released between Attila and the next historical total war. Warhammer was a good clean release, and following CA's pattern of bad release, polished release then good release, I think the next historical total war will be another buggy release. I hope I'm wrong, and just some minor observations, but Empire was a new engine for the first time and Rome 2 had some serious changes to that engine, and I think the next title will be on a new engine or a modified Warhammer one for the first time too. I never buy games at release though

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    This is disappointing news. Obviously for the fans of the Warhammer series I am happy for you guys.

Rome 2 will of been released 4 years ago this September, Attila is over 2 years old and I still consider that to be a fragment of the Rome 2 series rather than its own original new title. Sounds like no historical games will be coming this year so we are going to run a stretch of 3 to 5+ years in between historical titles? That's extremely unfortunate.

As someone who briefs these forums hardly ever these days, is Creative Assembly even doing right by the Warhammer series or does it still introduce the same stripped content, reduced options and depth, and streamlined gameplay experiences that plagued Rome 2 and Attila? Is there any sign that they've learned from the blunders and design decisions of Rome 2 and fixed them or anything?
    Historical Total War will probably be released 2019 at the earliest after Warhammer 3 is out. We could however get a DLC for previous historical game before that time. I'm hoping for mire Atttila, though for an earlier time period, closer to Rome II era.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Slaxx Hatmen View Post
    So is everybody just gonna gloss over the fact that CA, for the very first time in the TW franchise, are expanding the campaign map for base game with an expansion? I've been wanting them to do this since Med I. Kinda excited to them try something bold like that for an expak finally.(Even though it's an expand-alone.)
    This game is going to be massive. Like totally massive.

It is the same trick everywhere : siege are broken to hide the AI, animations are broken to cover performance, diplomacy is broken as the AI can not cope with it, etc
    There is no AI in any computer game, its just a simulation a script, thats doing the things exactly in the way it was written by the programers,
    its for sure complex but not inteligence
    there will never be creativity or new tactics.
    Last edited by Chlodwig I.; April 03, 2017 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    There is no AI in any computer game, its just a simulation a script, thats doing the things exactly in the way it was written by the programers,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T90YHDI6gNM

well, the more you know...

Mmmm yep. I'm looking forward to this.

Time to start my write up for a potential War of the Beard mod...
    Forward, march!

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post

I want a computer that is actually capable of beating me without having to merely overwhelm me. I want to see a computer that actually tries to outmaneuver me and doesn't just rush straight forward while sending cavalry to fight on the flanks with my cavalry. It is always very predictable, infantry in the front/center, cavalry on the flanks, archers mixed in with the infantry.

In Darkest Hour, HOI series I want an AI that is actually capable of realizing that I am making a feign and that my real effort is the one six provinces away. I want a computer that realizes I am giving land in Ukraine and Belarus to withdraw to a defensive line, so it should either advance cautiously and not rush forward without paying attentions to flanks and supply lines, or it should go for broke and advance before I can get my new line up. I want a computer where the Allies make a fake on Sicily and Sardinia and then make serious landings in Greece, Norway, and Italy, at the same time.
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ignore list [to save time]-
    Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

I am not thrilled with this... Warhammer 1 is about 12-14 months old...

Releasing Warhammer 2 means that 1 is going to be neglected...

If 2 winds up being a dumbed down version of 1, as was the case from Rome 1 to Rome 2, count me out... If 2 is an improvement as was the case from Shogun 1 to Shogun 2, count me in...

I hope CA doesn't drop the ball.
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ignore list [to save time]-
    Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    I am not thrilled with this... Warhammer 1 is about 12-14 months old...

Releasing Warhammer 2 means that 1 is going to be neglected...

If 2 winds up being a dumbed down version of 1, as was the case from Rome 1 to Rome 2, count me out... If 2 is an improvement as was the case from Shogun 1 to Shogun 2, count me in...

I hope CA doesn't drop the ball.
    You are looking at warhammer from wrong angle. It was never supposed to be three generations of one game. It was expected to be trilogy. So for the first time CA is really focusing on details with every faction. Ok, we can easily find a lot holes in da ship but Warhammer factions are the most different in history of all total war. And while each part of earhammer trilogy will be playable as standalone, we can witness the combined version of all parts together. Can you imagine if Attila was merged with Rome2 ? If Napoleon with Empire? We can easily say it´s clever cash grab from CA side but would you rather buy three nonconnected half-baked titles or get such enormous trilogy? Plus this time i think we can blame Games Workshop and their licence policy for warhammer being trilogy and each part being released year by year.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Exactly. It shouldn't even be named Warhammer 2, if people were more sane or Sega had more respect for their costumers it would be called an EXPANSION, because that's what it is.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    Exactly. It shouldn't even be named Warhammer 2, if people were more sane or Sega had more respect for their costumers it would be called an EXPANSION, because that's what it is.
    No it is not an expansion. It has the same amount of content, if not more, than Warhammer, at launch it is a completely separate game. It is a TRILOGY, not a rushed new generation, not an expansion. Saying Warhammer 2 is an expansion is like saying the first Warhammer is an expansion for Rome 2! They share similar mechanics and story, apart from that there's a new map, new factions, new narrative.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Megasalexandros View Post
    I always thought total war was a game for historical fans and not just casual gamers that would play every video game they can get their hands on ive seen all of those years a dedicated fan base of the total war series that were around here because of their passion for historical recreation, i really really dont get it why on earth ca would make a 180 degrees turn towards something completely different from what it always was...
    thanks ca for making me not bother about the only video game that i was ever geniunly interested in, also thanks for alienating the fan base core
    That didn't explain that LOTR mod was one of the famous TW mods of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    That didn't explain that LOTR mod was one of the famous TW mods of all time.
    And the Warhammer mod was quite popular as well and as I said before when it came to the animations, you can tell that CA are fans of the Warhammer Fantasy world because they didn't phone this one in just for a quick buck(granted they never done that with a game to begin with).

As for the sequel thing, I can understand the confusion but it all depends on where you come from. If you own the first game then yes, this will be an expansion pretty much since I can imagine that as soon as that patch hits that adds the mega campaign to the game, that will be the mode to play but for some reason people didn't buy the first game but interested in this then it's a new game and it's good that it is a stand-alone.

Honestly there's so much salt in here I feel like I should construct a resource building to get a bonus to trade.
    Forward, march!