Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Has it been anounced already? Where'd you get that info?
    - There is no info so far. China is quess of some as is Genghis Khan or Victoria for others...only info so far is from blogs:

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-t...ng-on-07-06-17
    HISTORICAL TEAM
    Development on the next major historical release continues apace, with the team focusing on some fantastic UI and environmental work recently to capture the mood of this unique setting, that we’ve yet to explore in any previous Total War game.

Other areas that are progressing nicely are the important character relations that occur between the major personalities in the game. Now the designers can start modelling the various interactions and gameplay impacts the proposed features will have. Elsewhere, the campaign map is starting to come together in some new and visually exciting ways. Obviously, it will help set the tone and immersion for the whole game, and the artists have done an incredible job in realising the style we’re going for.
    Last edited by Daruwind; September 22, 2017 at 10:22 PM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Quote Originally Posted by JaM View Post
    yeah... Total War is dead... long live the Field of Glory 2!!!
    Two very different products. FoG try to "simulate" an ancient warfare battle. TW games try to take advantage of your powerful hardware. But I have to admit that "when in battle" FoG II give you a better visual experience considering you are not moving ants.

BTW the Warhammer II campaign overall's look is amazing.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Has it been anounced already? Where'd you get that info?
    None. Some people want Victoria. Me wanta China.

I dont know much about history regardless whether China or Victoria but a game in China will probably have those unique single character units if CA wants to implement heroes or even single lords like in Warhammer. Might be semi historical and probably even have swords and flying daggers. While Victoria is still a new era not done yet is Total War, but it's pretty close to ETW and features Europe primarily and I kinda bored with the same map in all previous TW games except Shogun.

Even Warhammer also use a map based on Europe.

Time to go adventure at another place and see what the new world may offer.

China also is a big enough market for Total War game now from what we see from Warhammer release.
    Last edited by LestaT; September 22, 2017 at 10:21 PM.

Mortal Empires is the real meat of the game, and then the TRI-map. It's too bad it'll be $180 base price, for the apex map. Probably $250 full price to get everything, especially if you bought/buy everything at release like I did.

The new mechanics added in W2 look very promising, and finally no more occupation restraints, now based on climate (livability) - which is actually a great idea. I am also hoping that the skaven will move over to the old world and claim destroyed settlements, one thing I absolutely loathe about W1 and Attila is razed settlements, even more so in WH1, since I'd say half the factions are motivated to do so. It leaves the map feeling extremely empty, even after 50 turns BEFORE the chaos invasion, it is depressing. However, if treasure, skaven, rogue armies, loyalty mechanics, are implemented into the mortal empire campaign (old world), I can see it being awesome!

Oh yeah, one thing that has disappointed me in the WH2 footage, siege battles are still just one gigantic wall, great huge city skyline, don't get me wrong the visuals are great, but I would have hoped for a more strategic layer for those to have been added. I guess it was too much to hope for that they would overhaul sieges, and probably too ingrained into the base game for them to change it.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; September 22, 2017 at 11:11 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

If I may add. I dont kinda like the name Mortal Empires. Its something like a name of a mod, not from a game.

Just me of course. Not that I have any bettwr sugg3stion for a name though. Somehiw it doesnt just feel 'right'

Indefinitely Banned

Did anyone order the Serpent God edition for it?

The preload starts at 12:30 PM EST this afternoon, if I got the time conversion right. (5:30 BST)? Good thing too, if it's sizable it'll take me days to download.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    The preload starts at 12:30 PM EST this afternoon, if I got the time conversion right. (5:30 BST)? Good thing too, if it's sizable it'll take me days to download.
    Warhammer 1 preload was 9GB. I expected 15-20GB for Warhammer 2.

Lionheart11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post
    Good job, CA. If you were looking for the most efficient way to anger your loyal customer base even more, you've found it. It wasn't this juvenile fantasy arcade nonsense that made the TW series a success.
    Rinse and repeat, the kiddies in charge but might grow up one day instead of feeding CA's milk machine.
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

TW RIP

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    Rinse and repeat, the kiddies in charge but might grow up one day instead of feeding CA's milk machine.
    An adult with 4 kids like me are entitle to our fantasies once in a while.

So far, this game has been fantastic, even at release. Blows WH1 how of the water, this has got to be some of the most involved I have been in years in literally just the first 50 turns of the Malekith campaign. The animations are gorgeous, if you haven't already check out the high elven battle line animations, they are absolutely beautiful, I can already imagine those high quality professional animations being added to one of our historical releases, I just hope they bring back unit formations. They have pretty much implemented all the DLC from 1 into 2 as well, as ai factions, so even without WH2 DLC you get a campaign of already fleshed out factions - even the generic ones.

One thing I really like over the first one, after playing 100+ turns of Teclis, There are still factions on the map, and the map is alive after 100 turns. Unlike Warhammer where in the majority of my campaigns, after 100 turns 70% of the map is a desolate wasteland, with no point in even reconquering because of the gigantic amounts of headaches with Chaos corruption. Everywhere something is going on here. One gripe I have though is that the ai, and tell me if this is happening in anyone else's campaign, is somehow collecting ritual currency at MASSIVE amounts I can't keep up in anyway shape or form, it is absolutely ridiculous. On top of that intervention armies are a complete waste of money, I have sent 4 10k "elite" intervention stacks and every single one except MAYBE 1 of them was destroyed after 1 turn. What is the point?

I really don't know what they were thinking with intervention stacks, granted I haven't tried sending more than one at a time, because 10k is the only worthwhile one and that is a big chunk for something that is not really worth it. Anyway, ritual sites are always on the most heavily garrisoned (AT THE VERY LEAST) settlements, and even if your intervention stack could take one they have to kill 2 more, and even then I don't think they have a way to replenish. I have no idea how an intervention stack is supposed to take 3 settlements, and that is with nobody attacking them. The ai stack I have found ALWAYS kills the intervention stack at full strength anyway. You'd pretty much have to be a maritime empire, and have forces ready to island hop to hit them personally to stop rituals consistently, I'd think.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; September 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by antred View Post
    Good job, CA. If you were looking for the most efficient way to anger your loyal customer base even more, you've found it. It wasn't this juvenile fantasy arcade nonsense that made the TW series a success.
    "Loyal customer base"

When are you four gonna realize you arent actually very loyal nor are you important. At all.

CAs loyal customer base is playing TWW2 right now.
    Last edited by Påsan; September 29, 2017 at 11:56 AM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    CAs loyal customer base is playing TWW2 right now.
    Thats a bit unfair. I've played every Total War since Medieval 2 (I only started playing Total War in 2013 though) but I didn't get Warhammer 2 because Warhammer 1's campaign was dumbed down in my opinion and I didn't see anything that convinced me Warhammer 2 had rectified this.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

if you don't like warhammer fantasy, you will not like the game. that is very understandable. but there is really no need for all the dramatic doom and gloom by some of the posters. even with historical games, I doubt all of us liked some of the time periods chose by CA.

wait for the next historical total war game and cut down on the doom and gloom. warhammer 1 is ca's most successful total war game to date. it is not going anywhere.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Thats a bit unfair. I've played every Total War since Medieval 2 (I only started playing Total War in 2013 though) but I didn't get Warhammer 2 because Warhammer 1's campaign was dumbed down in my opinion and I didn't see anything that convinced me Warhammer 2 had rectified this.
    Warhammer II in my opinion is certainly feels like a really, really new game. I can even forget my past experience playing all Total War games since the first Shogun until Warhammer.

At heart, it is still a Total War game with turn base campaign and real time battle. On the surface however, it's certainly feel that CA has gone really really far in terms of experimenting features and gameplay this time around.

I hope this will continue with historical games later.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Btw: Is it only my sleepy mind or the AI is actually better? So far I fought like 20 defensive siege battles..almost more than in 1500 hours of WH1 totally O.o Plus AI seems to wait until it spend all artillery ammo and only after that progress with infantry?!? Completely caught me off guard! (open land battle...Druchii had way better artillerry than my Asur.. :/ )

EDIT: Roaming armies are also quite good at settling and starting empire. Saw multiple examples and overall campaign map even after 100-150 turns is not wasteland. :-)
    Last edited by Daruwind; September 30, 2017 at 01:30 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Reception so far is very positive, both from critics and, more importantly, from players.

Is it because of diehard WH fans who had their wish come true or is it a really good game, with decent AI, good paced battles, interesting campaign managment etc.?

Anyway, sad to see how empty this forum is on a TW release, even if it's not a historical one.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

First impressions 50 ish turns in: The campaign map is really fleshed out this time around, its beautiful, varied and it feels like im playing a Heroes of Might and Magic game with all the treasure hunts and pop up events and what not. The vortex campaign gives the opposing major factions more of a identity as competitors rather than being another faction with a legendary lord. The animated 2d cut scenes are also really pretty and well done. Battles seems slower too, find myself not using the slow-mo button much. Each race seems even more different than older factions and rougue armies create a dangerus and fun addition to mix it up from your usual enemies. (Got attacked by a full stack consisting mostly of dragon ogres and kroxigors which laid waste to an entire island-colony of mine ) Lords and heroes have vastly improved skill trees and much of the repetative skills have been done away with.

Nitpiks: Public order can be pretty challenging to deal with, on very hard there seems to be no way to avoid rebellions unless you keep an army in the province. The game also still punishes you economically for having more than one general active with a percentage upkeep increase on all your units, which is pretty dumb considering that you can only recruit and move forces around with a general attached. So reinforcing your main armies and keeping garrisons to stave off public order is often not economically viable at all.
    These is a bit of limit on events, many events pop up multiple times, dunno how many vampire wrecks ive found but its a lot. However many of them have multiple choose-your-action type options so you get the oppertunity to chose differently than you first did which is nice. There is much greater variety on land tresure hunts than on sea though. Diplomacy is a bit random and unexplained still, the game dont tell you WHY the faction dont want a trade agreement. You have to figure that out yourself. Chaos is still annoying and burn down any settlements they can get their hands on, and not only your "ritual" settlements either. Norsca is in the game still, but they havent been patched with their full rooster so its basically charriot and horse archer spam all over again.

Tips: I sent out a lone explorer lord at turn 1 to do nothing but go on tresure hunts, find shipwreks and scout out trade partners. Proved to be pretty lukerative both in gold, campaign effects and magic items. I played as Teclis, and linking up with Ulthuan should be a priority since you can max out your trade goods there in one turn. Also the campaign is longer than game 1. Dont stress out with expanding or doing ritual stuff, focus on building up the techs and cities. If you go too wide chaos is gonna burn the whole place down once you start getting into the rituals.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    First impressions 50 ish turns in: The campaign map is really fleshed out this time around, its beautiful, varied and it feels like im playing a Heroes of Might and Magic game with all the treasure hunts and pop up events and what not. The vortex campaign gives the opposing major factions more of a identity as competitors rather than being another faction with a legendary lord. The animated 2d cut scenes are also really pretty and well done. Battles seems slower too, find myself not using the slow-mo button much. Each race seems even more different than older factions and rougue armies create a dangerus and fun addition to mix it up from your usual enemies. (Got attacked by a full stack consisting mostly of dragon ogres and kroxigors which laid waste to an entire island-colony of mine ) Lords and heroes have vastly improved skill trees and much of the repetative skills have been done away with.

Nitpiks: Public order can be pretty challenging to deal with, on very hard there seems to be no way to avoid rebellions unless you keep an army in the province. The game also still punishes you economically for having more than one general active with a percentage upkeep increase on all your units, which is pretty dumb considering that you can only recruit and move forces around with a general attached. So reinforcing your main armies and keeping garrisons to stave off public order is often not economically viable at all.
    These is a bit of limit on events, many events pop up multiple times, dunno how many vampire wrecks ive found but its a lot. However many of them have multiple choose-your-action type options so you get the oppertunity to chose differently than you first did which is nice. There is much greater variety on land tresure hunts than on sea though. Diplomacy is a bit random and unexplained still, the game dont tell you WHY the faction dont want a trade agreement. You have to figure that out yourself. Chaos is still annoying and burn down any settlements they can get their hands on, and not only your "ritual" settlements either. Norsca is in the game still, but they havent been patched with their full rooster so its basically charriot and horse archer spam all over again.

Tips: I sent out a lone explorer lord at turn 1 to do nothing but go on tresure hunts, find shipwreks and scout out trade partners. Proved to be pretty lukerative both in gold, campaign effects and magic items. I played as Teclis, and linking up with Ulthuan should be a priority since you can max out your trade goods there in one turn. Also the campaign is longer than game 1. Dont stress out with expanding or doing ritual stuff, focus on building up the techs and cities. If you go too wide chaos is gonna burn the whole place down once you start getting into the rituals.
    I've been playing Teclis ftmp as well after branching off from Malekith - who ironically has a harder start in VH than teclis, even though it states it is at "normal". You wouldn't believe how incredibly annoying Mung is if they declare on you. They just send stack after stack after stack, and their settlements are so far away in trash locations, there is no real point in even conquering them. Teclis kind of sucks as a general though, in my opinion, I mean yeah he is a pretty cool mage, but he is nowhere near as powerful as Malekith who can solo kill a few hundred enemies a battle. The legendary lords are not created equal, but then again I've never really liked to rely on mage lords, primarily melee or hybrid lords are just more consistent.

I don't know if I'd say chaos is the real issue here you really only need a borderguard garrison for them, I've killed their half stacks with upgraded garrisons on border provinces few times. My biggest problems were the intervention stacks that in my campaign were always sent after me, usually two different ones at a time, the last ritual I did had an elite skaven stack AND dark elf. You pretty much shouldn't start your ritual until you are sure that you can defend your territory, pretty much have to bring back any armies fighting outwards.