Page 15 of 54 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer II announced

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    Sounds about right to me, not surprising when you consider the scale of the Warhammer world. What with a company that wants to sell, and a fan base that wants to buy.
    I am happy for CA because if they make the money then we will get more games, interested to see what the next historical games will bring to the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    The amount of content in these games is insane.

Once the trilogy is complete the combined map and factions will probably make it the largest strategy game of all time right?
    These two statements are what give me hope for future historical games. CA is learning A LOT from Warhammer.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    These two statements are what give me hope for future historical games. CA is learning A LOT from Warhammer.
    I hope CA is learning but part of this is the amount of resources CA can devote knowing the tail on trilogy like this is very long. I'm not so sure that the next historical game will have as much resouces so I hope CA can get the balance of priorities done pretty well.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Gosh Warhammer is just so very exciting isn't it. Krell, Norsca, Warhammer 2, even more Freelc, I'm already planning which faction to play first.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Despite the many positives this game offers I am struggling to find enjoyment in the campaign. The AI never lays siege to an occupied city nor ever sallies forth when I besiege them. Not that the siege battles in this game are anything special anyway. Just a silly wall battle with no room for tactics at all.

Most of my TW experience comes from Rome1 and Medieval2 and I have fond memories of epic sieges that would occur throughout my cities and castles. I would scramble my men to hold breaches and use different formations. Destroying a battering ram was actually meaningful and could turn a battle, yet now they are utterly pointless. There was boiling oil to soften up troops and men used to push siege towers and carry ladders yet all of this has been removed and what did we get in return? Monsters and a few lackluster spells?

I don't expect them to improve sieges but I hope they consider fixing the AI because currently it feels like a huge step back from what we had 10 years ago, and I thought it was terrible back then.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by CK23 View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcg...arhammer%3famp

Sounds like there is hope, Warhammer is funding our future Historical games.
    I say this with some ignorance I must confess, but isn't it likely that at this point in Warhammer's advanced development, that quite a lot of key base resources will now be free to work on the Historical games?
    CA have certainly said that there is much going on in the back ground so I presume so.

Also because they have made so much money it sounds like they have hired more staff because they certainly seem to have many teams now working in different area's.

I say this with some ignorance I must confess, but isn't it likely that at this point in Warhammer's advanced development, that quite a lot of key base resources will now be free to work on the Historical games?
    CA have certainly said that there is much going on in the back ground so I presume so.

Also because they have made so much money it sounds like they have hired more staff because they certainly seem to have many teams now working in different area's.
    CA was also hired to do some other stuff and had to expand but Sega definitely pushing for CA to fully use the facilities Sega invested into. CA staff are approaching (maybe surpassed) 400 now with 3 games plus DLC and these Sagas in development.

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    CA was also hired to do some other stuff and had to expand but Sega definitely pushing for CA to fully use the facilities Sega invested into. CA staff are approaching (maybe surpassed) 400 now with 3 games plus DLC and these Sagas in development.
    It's gone over 400. It's about 450 at CA last I heard, and another 50 or so at the new CA Sofia (formerly Black Sea Studios Ltd and then Crytek Black Sea Ltd.) I think we have a bright future for Total War games with the amount of resources and skill base now invested in it. Plus their other projects like Alien: Isolation.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

So the new FLC (marked as 30th CA anniversary) will be released really with Norsca DLC (so 10th August) and will bring 30 new RoR
    https://www.totalwar.com/blog/birthday-regiments-faq/

PS: probably even finishing Krells skill tree and some other fixes
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

What is the consensus here for the next historical title?

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by MrJade View Post
    What is the consensus here for the next historical title?
    Not sure there is one. Also depends whether you mean the Rome 2/Attila (one of them) DLC Campaign, the Saga game or the Next Major Historical.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

There's quite a few threads about the upcoming historical TW's so lets keep that topic out of this one.

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

CA staff working on TW have been on teams for many years now but it is fungible depending on workload. Most staff get assigned to the next main game when it's under full development as was the case with WH2 last year, according to CA's blog updates.

Thing is, even with more staff, the games don't seem to be coming any quicker now do they? Maybe there's more DLC and more announcements. Nor would I call WH a step forward in terms of game play, so staff don't seem to be making much difference on that front. Maybe artwork, Campaign map size? The battle maps are actually getting smaller...And let's face it, by the time the Saga game is released it will have been 3 years between historical games and Saga will be on Warscape so that's no improvement. You have to dig deep and apply some wishful thinking and fairy dust to reach the conclusion that Warhammer is a boon for TW historical games. It's more likely that the new resources at CA will go to fantasy and console projects and historical output will be less frequent as a result.

Bruno_Magno's Avatar Foederatus

The great point, IMO, is about gameplay mechanicks. I really dont care if the next tittle will be fantasy or historic, because i like them both, but some elements of gameplay must be reviewed. I still would love to see a Rome or Warhammer total war with the campaign mechanicks of Shogun 2. I hope that with these Sagas Tittles CA will be alowed to experiment with new mechanicks, like thay did with the war weariness(my favored add on since Shogun 2) in Charle Magne. But the greatest thing they could do, is liberate tools that allow the Modders to change deepier elements of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    CA staff working on TW have been on teams for many years now but it is fungible depending on workload. Most staff get assigned to the next main game when it's under full development as was the case with WH2 last year, according to CA's blog updates.

Thing is, even with more staff, the games don't seem to be coming any quicker now do they? Maybe there's more DLC and more announcements. Nor would I call WH a step forward in terms of game play, so staff don't seem to be making much difference on that front. Maybe artwork, Campaign map size? The battle maps are actually getting smaller...And let's face it, by the time the Saga game is released it will have been 3 years between historical games and Saga will be on Warscape so that's no improvement. You have to dig deep and apply some wishful thinking and fairy dust to reach the conclusion that Warhammer is a boon for TW historical games. It's more likely that the new resources at CA will go to fantasy and console projects and historical output will be less frequent as a result.
    I share your concerns about gameplay, Huberto. Warhammer is the biggest, most beautiful TW game to date, but the disappointment for me is that all these new resources seem to be channelled towards graphics, art and sheer scale. They could do with more developers working on gameplay design - it's the mechanics that keep you coming back again and again, after all.

In terms of to what extent WH is a boon to the historical side, only time will tell, but I am cautiously optimistic. There's no doubt WH has brought more players and more dev resources into CA's war chest. That is undeniably going to benefit the next history title. The longer it stays in development, the higher quality a product it will be. I don't know about you, but I would far sooner choose a highly innovative, perfectly polished blockbuster of a game in early 2020 over a repeat of Rome II next year.

The devs can afford to make the next historical all that more ambitious because they have the breathing space provide by the Warhammer trilogy's "long tail", plus they can rely on a decent number of new converts to the series (warhammer fans, essentially) coming along for the ride on the next history game.

Provided there's no nonsense in terms of magic/fantasy elements working their way into the actual design of the historical games, the only downside I can think of is that we will have had to wait that much longer. But at least for a better end result and with the Sagas thrown in to help pass the time.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

I agree. Depth is paramount. Things I like are traditions and character building, trait/rpg systems and customisable tax rates etc.

What makes me optimistic is how receptive and engaged CA are now with their more devoted fanbase. They knew how bad the WOC debacle was and have amended their future bonuses accordingly.

They must KNOW how high our expectations are for the next historical title. Warhammer has raised the bar - it's a different beast, being more action oriented and fantasy - but there is still a LOT (it is not a shallow games - action oriented, but not shallow) of depth; monsters, flyers, magic adds a few new dimensions that historical games will never have. So to compete there needs to be new mechanics to keep us engaged. Anyone can draw a line of infantry and flank with cavalry, anyone can build up their empire and defend their cities. There needs to be stipulations which make each event a challenge, internal workings. I'm not sure how I'd do it myself but with the time they have had and the lessons learnt, I'm optimistic.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

The new monster hunt quest battles for Norsca

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    I agree. Depth is paramount. Things I like are traditions and character building, trait/rpg systems and customisable tax rates etc.

What makes me optimistic is how receptive and engaged CA are now with their more devoted fanbase. They knew how bad the WOC debacle was and have amended their future bonuses accordingly.

They must KNOW how high our expectations are for the next historical title. Warhammer has raised the bar - it's a different beast, being more action oriented and fantasy - but there is still a LOT (it is not a shallow games - action oriented, but not shallow) of depth; monsters, flyers, magic adds a few new dimensions that historical games will never have. So to compete there needs to be new mechanics to keep us engaged. Anyone can draw a line of infantry and flank with cavalry, anyone can build up their empire and defend their cities. There needs to be stipulations which make each event a challenge, internal workings. I'm not sure how I'd do it myself but with the time they have had and the lessons learnt, I'm optimistic.
    The initial launch of Warhammer game 1 was pretty fun but after magic (disappointment to me) flyers, and the new sieges, there wasn't any mechanics changes that I could see and so despite having fun with the game I couldn't see going back to a history title without some new mechanics or return to a few of the good older things that CA dropped (larger battle maps and larger ZoC main things that were dropped that I liked).

However with some of the DLC and some of the ideas mentioned for Warhammer 2 I am quite a bit more optimistic that CA is actually stretching into some new ideas and a couple of them would work excellent transferred into a future historical title.

I would play a new Renaissance game without question... anything else set in Europe though I might be burnt out on for awhile unless a very well done zoomed in Saga game focusing on an interesting date but CA would have to get really into new mechanics for me to pay full price for that. If CA set a game in China, Assyrian expansion, or a new world map with Aztecs, Incas, etc I would go for any of those most likely.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post

You are missing a few points. Firstly the success of the game is not determined solely by preorders and first day sales. It took probably a half year for money guys to aknowledge the success of Warhammer. Release was May 2016 so this is around winter 2016, which correspont with first info that CA might do something for Historical games in meantime. Normally you won´t get info so early in development cycle...

Second. It´s normal that you are shifting people among teams for different parts of development. Warhammer was in development from 2012 +/- ...Rome 2 was released in 2013, Attila 2015. The same is with next historical game which is already in development and yet Warhammer 2 and 3 will be released before that. because you don´t need now guys for DB, campaign map and these things if you are tinkering with engine. And these projects are planned in long term. They decided to add larger campaign pack and Saga game so they needed to re-think time schedules, hire more stuff etc. Actually it is pretty impressive that the campaign pack should be release around winter/spring..so it´s just year and some of complete production. Don´t forget that other DLCs and stuff is mostly planned or at least pre-planned. Even Norsca had been probably at some drawboard ....just under the cut line. And Saga should be released in a year horizont. Which is like two years of development. So that´s way better situation now than before (no historical content between 2016 (last DLC Attila) and 2019/2020 (next historical game) ....to two projects during this time. So that´s very positive for history guys/players. I´m TW player so i belongs to all sides... :-) )

As the last i would say, bear in mind that every TW is little different. Warhammer is way better optimilization than Attila. End of turns is pretty impresive. And Warhammer 2 is bringing Combined campaign map which is +130% setttlements, minor factions. That would be the biggest we ever have. There are many things that should be improved: Sieges, naval combat, AI...but bear in mind some changes are actually develompment choices..like bigger focus on fighting, adding magic system, flying units, the best RPG elements for characters so far, less naval as probably due to license issue..

Heh so keep in mind that even if CA gets license for LOTR for example. It will be scheduled aftr next historical game, DLCs, sequel, Saga game probably....so that´s around 2024/2025 at least. ;-) About consoles, you need different kind of people for this stuff, may be some engine techs but i doubt these will be slowing down any development. TL DR, we have now three historical things in development. Tell me when in past we had such situation....
    Last edited by Daruwind; August 04, 2017 at 04:40 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Only hopes they eventualy at least include reloading animations.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.