Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Unchained's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Like many of the other commentators here I am hoping that the physics engine is improved in this iteration. I would like to see something a bit slower paced and more realistic than a blob (which is a problem that Rome 2 shared). Many of the mods do fix these issues, but I think it's fair to expect that in a base game that these should be addressed.

The other thing I would like to see is a more immersive experience. I think it's sad that we get that more with say, Third Age Total War, with MOS and various other mods than with a base game.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    It's part 2 of a 3 game series. It's an expansion unlike other expansion. Other game expansions are about different period of the same era (or the other way around) while Warhammer II expanded the Warhammer I to the other side of the conflict of the same era.

It's not just tied like Shogun 2 units can play MP battles with FOTS units but also on the mega campaign map (provided you have both games though). Total war Warhammer is a $180 game divided into 3 parts.

Thanks +Rep.

I am thinking that it has more in common with Starcraft 2 than any other game. That said, if it is $180 USD (so more for us living outside the US), it is best to wait for the Steam sales.

The naming though is less than great - it's not like Starcraft 2 where Blizzard very clearly said that if you were buying, you were getting an expansion or second expansion. That and the expansions were cheaper than the base game if memory serves.
    Last edited by Unchained; April 17, 2017 at 09:41 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Like many of the other commentators here I am hoping that the physics engine is improved in this iteration. I would like to see something a bit slower paced and more realistic than a blob (which is a problem that Rome 2 shared). Many of the mods do fix these issues, but I think it's fair to expect that in a base game that these should be addressed.

The other thing I would like to see is a more immersive experience. I think it's sad that we get that more with say, Third Age Total War, with MOS and various other mods than with a base game.

Thanks +Rep.

I am thinking that it has more in common with Starcraft 2 than any other game. That said, if it is $180 USD (so more for us living outside the US), it is best to wait for the Steam sales.

The naming though is less than great - it's not like Starcraft 2 where Blizzard very clearly said that if you were buying, you were getting an expansion or second expansion. That and the expansions were cheaper than the base game if memory serves.
    I use $ as a base. For my country somehow TW games are cheap. Full price cost RM 115 (even for new DOW 3 so I expect TWWH 2 to cost the same). Usually new games are priced at RM 149 to RM 190 depending on their popularity in this region.

This are steam price though. Retail should be much higher as thise are usually imported.

Yes, the two key points on the whole "just an expansion" question are that:

a) it can be played independently of the first game

and

b) it will contain enough content to merit being a called a game in its own right.

The first game was easily big enough to justify its price tag imo (though Chaos should really just have been bundled in instead of held back as a preorder bonus). Apparently, Warhammer II will have even more regions and 4 very unique and interesting races.

So yes, technically it is "expanding" on the current game, but kind of in the same way that The Two Towers expanded on The Fellowship of the Ring. They are still books/games in their own right.

Does anybody know what fractions are planned for a third title? Other than demons of chaos.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by VM_Mort View Post
    Does anybody know what fractions are planned for a third title? Other than demons of chaos.
    According to old leaked info, big DLC were Ogres and Chaos Dwarves. What else, i don´t know. Maybe expand Norsca and Kislev or adding new sub factions/leaders to all factions so far.

EDIT: could be even expansion to the east up to Nippon but i doubt it. Ogre Kingdoms (mountains of Mourn) are probably the east most part we will get .
    Last edited by Daruwind; April 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM.
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Unchained's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrin View Post
    Yes, the two key points on the whole "just an expansion" question are that:

a) it can be played independently of the first game

and

b) it will contain enough content to merit being a called a game in its own right.

The first game was easily big enough to justify its price tag imo (though Chaos should really just have been bundled in instead of held back as a preorder bonus). Apparently, Warhammer II will have even more regions and 4 very unique and interesting races.

So yes, technically it is "expanding" on the current game, but kind of in the same way that The Two Towers expanded on The Fellowship of the Ring. They are still books/games in their own right.

I'm thinking the Starcraft 2 analogy is more accurate than I had initially expected.

Looking at CA's history, my "gut" feeling is that we won't get more material than say, Fall of the Samurai did for Shogun 2 or Attila did for Rome 2. I mean in the case of FOTS, we basically saw the introduction of industrialized warfare. With this we are getting a bigger map and more races. Another "gut" feel is that they are going to milk people with a ton of DLC.

Yet in the case of Blizzard, they advertised it as Starcraft 2, with 2 expansions, not as Starcraft 3 and 4.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I gotta ask, why do some of you guys think slower battles = more realistic?

10-20 minutes battles = omfgbbq, arcade battles!!!
    30-60 minutes battles = omfgbbq, realistic battles!!!

it is just your own preference, stop putting on halos.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post

there's no time to watch the battle. there is only time to issue orders.
    i'm not sure who you're talking about, but if "it is just your preference", then there is no realism.

it'll be easy to see if the game is still a simplified, streamlined battle spam.
    brb, going to recruit 190 steam tanks in 3 turns.

Den Stark's Avatar Tiro

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

CA should finally add flagbearer.
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

And musicians, reload animations and whatnot. If all they do is add new models then by all means go all the way.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

The mods for the second game will be amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    there's no time to watch the battle. there is only time to issue orders.
    i'm not sure who you're talking about, but if "it is just your preference", then there is no realism.

it'll be easy to see if the game is still a simplified, streamlined battle spam.
    brb, going to recruit 190 steam tanks in 3 turns.
    if you want to taken seriously, you need to stop typing in hyperbole all the time. I am being extremely generous by calling your posts hyperbole. you want to spend 1 hour watching unit animations for a battle? great, don't force that ridiculous preference on the rest of us.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post

We don't have 10-20 mins battle even using mods... and yes last TW games are really, really dumbed down and became just a click-fest , they have the same depth of a mobile platform arcade, anyway good for you if you like this stuff m8
    Last edited by T-Duke; April 22, 2017 at 04:00 AM.

Hm

If I look where TW has started with the First Shogun and compare it how it looks now, I don't have a problem that the Battle Animations are not 100% realistic.

If I want to watch the animation during a Battle, I'll di it . Most battles are even with the higher speed since Shogun 2 long enough to spend some minutes just watching.
    And if you say "I loose the battle when I just watch" My answer would be play on lower difficulty or watch the animations during abattle that you can't loose.

And now I can't say that it has become some kine of arcade click feast... yes you need to speed up, your cklick rate when the to armies meet at the center of the battle field
    but before that happes I think 99.9% of all player will set the game to highest speed while movng the army to the center.
    Last edited by Chlodwig I.; April 23, 2017 at 06:32 AM.

apparently, unit micro = click fest.
    fear is helluva drug

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

I wouldn't call Total War a clickfest just yet, however it's somewhat getting there and the battles do are pretty hectic.

I think it's because Total War is now marketed to the current player, which most lower common denominator it's aiming for instant gratification and lack the patience to stand anything longer than five minutes before getting into a new game. The CoD generation of gaming.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

I just watched the new "Warhammer" movie today and......

I still have zero desire to play this nerdy game with you all. EMPIRE TWOOOOOO!!!!

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Switz View Post
    I just watched the new "Warhammer" movie today and......

I still have zero desire to play this nerdy game with you all. EMPIRE TWOOOOOO!!!!
    Ya everyone should stick to the other nerdy TW games.

Not the pot calling the kettle black at all... -_-