Page 23 of 54 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast

Thread: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer II announced

Definitely player has to plan moves with low number of armies plus rebels, my god the rebels are heavy hitters

Anyway. CA updated FLC schedule. Looks like HE LL is moved (CA_Grace confirmed it in reddit). So next is multiplayer map pack and event "make war not love" means it will be up by 14th February. So probably even next DLC will be up by that date? To confuse us CA changed background for all except LLs - Tretch / next Lizardmen LL. Everything else is different for already released FLCs and future ones as well..
    DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

Maybe they are doing a VS DLC with Dark Elves vs. High Elves soon. Before I think you could see a dark elf spire on the ones that were a bit clouded. MP map pack sounds boring... I don't even play MP. Lizardmen LL might come with the Valentines event?

That last one looks like Dark Elf architecture.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; January 25, 2018 at 10:57 AM.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    That last one looks like Dark Elf architecture.
    Nope, it looks like a Lizardmen temple. Plus there's jungle all around it.

Quote Originally Posted by r3dshift View Post
    Nope, it looks like a Lizardmen temple. Plus there's jungle all around it.

The last one, that's a Dark Elf Spire or tower isn't it? In the fog of war. I don't know why my image won't work for me. It looks like they added even more clouds to the one that might be a spire (I think) than the new one.

https://imgur.com/TdJnyZT
    Last edited by SturmChurro; January 25, 2018 at 11:28 AM.

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

Oh, that one? It could be anything. :-)

However, it seems the image has changed somewhat, see the latest version as posted - and mentioned - by DaruWind.

Daruwind's Avatar Citizen

Thanks to PatchworkHD we have nice map for Mortal Empire starting positions of LLs. Updated for TKs and Tretch. :-)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...pdated_me_map/

DMR: (R2) (Attila) (ToB) (Wh1/2) (3K) (Troy)

r3dshift's Avatar Civis

It'd be real nice to start as a Vamp, WE or even human faction in the New World without having to haul's one's ass over there.

A bit over 200 turns in my restarted Khalida campaign, so I finish gathering up 5 books, do the battle for the black pyramid, win the battle (fun battle, very hectic, more fun than Vortex IMO), think I completed my victory conditions only to realize that I also need to actually capture and hold the Black pyramid itself. Arkhan and Settra have a HUGE advantage when it comes to that victory condition. I am now going to have to secure more of a foothold in the other continent, and backstab Settra my greatest ally to take it from him..

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    A bit over 200 turns in my restarted Khalida campaign, so I finish gathering up 5 books, do the battle for the black pyramid, win the battle (fun battle, very hectic, more fun than Vortex IMO), think I completed my victory conditions only to realize that I also need to actually capture and hold the Black pyramid itself. Arkhan and Settra have a HUGE advantage when it comes to that victory condition. I am now going to have to secure more of a foothold in the other continent, and backstab Settra my greatest ally to take it from him..
    Not nearly far enough to find out for myself yet, but it isn't enough to have a military ally occupy it? That seems...unfortunate for the more faraway factions.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Not nearly far enough to find out for myself yet, but it isn't enough to have a military ally occupy it? That seems...unfortunate for the more faraway factions.
    Nope, you actually need to personally hold it. I'm going to need to literally backstab my military ally to meet the conditions. Losing my other Tomb King allies and trade partners in the process when they side with Settra.

Yeah, it's very unfortunate considering Settra starts right next to it, and Arkhan not far off . As Khalida I've already expanded to launching points on the continent, but it's really unfair considering the alternative is deep sea attrition. It's a chore to get there either way. Khatep definitely has it the worst VERY far away from any good launching points, you'd probably be forced to go through lizardmen or Ulthuan. Waging a war there would be even more of a chore, being cutoff, good thing global recruitment is a thing.

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

So veterans palyers. Are Total War : Warhammer and Total War ; Warhammer 2 good games ?

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    So veterans palyers. Are Total War : Warhammer and Total War ; Warhammer 2 good games ?
    Personally there's fun battles and awesome animations, but the campaign gameplay is the worst of any Total War.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Personally there's fun battles and awesome animations, but the campaign gameplay is the worst of any Total War.
    I beg to disagree; in my experience the campaign gameplay is far better than in previous titles or as good as in them.

Alright captured the black pyramid of Nagash, and won the campaign! It was very wierd, because after you do the battle for the black pyramid it gives you a faction wide buff, and even gives you an epilogue as if you actually did capture the pyramid and win the campaign. Like they just assume you would already own it by then. Might be an oversight. Fun campaign, once the tomb kings get rolling their multiple armies are a HUGE benefit over other factions in high difficulty. Having 9 stacks meant I could hold every single front once I captured it, and Tomb Kings hardly even have to deal with public order penalties, along with being a neutral faction most factions will deal with you, even if you have treaties with enemies of theirs. I had at one time trade agreements with everyone of the major powers (except High Elves.. I massacred Teclis early on) even when they were at war. Skaven even begged for trade agreement when our relations were extremely low. Power status (1-3) has to play a major role. Hardest faction to fight were probably high tier dwarfs during the campaign. I pretty much steamrolled through lizardmen (granted they were fighting off vortex invasions), the dwarf units were extremely difficult to kill compared to anyone else. Even against high elf dragons tomb kings have some great anti-large answers to them. Great campaign. Would definitely recommend the DLC (and game)!

@ Caligula & Dumanthis:

could you go a bit more into detail?

From what I've seen in Let's Plays, the campaign gameplay looks indeed shallow. Just recruit a few units and attack the nearest neighbour. Looks pretty similar to RomeII in that regard.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    @ Caligula & Dumanthis:

could you go a bit more into detail?

From what I've seen in Let's Plays, the campaign gameplay looks indeed shallow. Just recruit a few units and attack the nearest neighbour. Looks pretty similar to RomeII in that regard.
    Its hard to pinpoint exactly what I don't like. I guess its a combination of these things...

- Personally in a campaign I barely ever have any money. I can't build what I want, recruit the units I want or do anything. It forces you to have armies made up of the worst units available and just autoresolve everything.
    - There isn't enough building variety. You just build the exact same buildings in every settlement in every region across the entire map.
    - You don't get attached to generals (other than Legendary Lords if you know the lore and like their characters, but they're immortal)

Various other little things I can't even remember, but that just cumulate and annoy the hell out of me. I'm beta testing Ancient Empires for Total War: Attila at the moment and even though its a WIP and there's some game-breaking bugginess, I'm honestly enjoying it way more than Warhammer 1 or 2.

Warhammer 1 and 2 do have really fun battles with spells, cannons, monsters, flying creatures and all the craziness but the campaign is terrible imo.
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; January 28, 2018 at 03:05 AM.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen Moderator Emeritus

The sad thing is that most battles are over within 5 minutes so you can get a few satisfying moments out of your dragon or other monster unit, in most cases I can't even fully enjoy massmurder-machine Tyrion. Units routing, then returning and routing again is also very annoying, making for a very messy battle. Personally also not a big fan of all the massive battles, most are 20vs20 battles. I don't think they're a lot of fun and most factions are basically done for once you win that battle and all you have to do is autoresolve against the pathetic garrisons.

And then there is Norsca of course, with their marauder horsemen/chariot spam.
    Last edited by lolIsuck; January 28, 2018 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Its hard to pinpoint exactly what I don't like. I guess its a combination of these things...

- Personally in a campaign I barely ever have any money. I can't build what I want, recruit the units I want or do anything. It forces you to have armies made up of the worst units available and just autoresolve everything.
    - There isn't enough building variety. You just build the exact same buildings in every settlement in every region across the entire map.
    - You don't get attached to generals (other than Legendary Lords if you know the lore and like their characters, but they're immortal)

Various other little things I can't even remember, but that just cumulate and annoy the hell out of me. I'm beta testing Ancient Empires for Total War: Attila at the moment and even though its a WIP and there's some game-breaking bugginess, I'm honestly enjoying it way more than Warhammer 1 or 2.

Warhammer 1 and 2 do have really fun battles with spells, cannons, monsters, flying creatures and all the craziness but the campaign is terrible imo.
    - What? How does it force you to have armies made up of trash units? Because you aren't making money? Just autoresolve everything? When I have armies built up of the worst units I have to fight everything, so the autoresolve doesn't give me the shaft! I legitimately don't understand how this is possible. Are you going out and sacking, treasure hunting, taking money upgrades on generals, etc. (economy followers, perks: trade income % increase, tax increase, post-battle loot increase, income from raiding).. What faction(s) have you played?

- Agreed. This is definitely true. Unlike Attila for example, you don't really need to think too much about what you need to build.Other than making this province a recruiting center or economy, untainted to counter corruption, and walls on the occasional minor settlement, there isn't much to it.

- Not true at all! Completely disagree. I get very attached to my generals. It takes a LONG time to level them highly, and choosing between a vast amount of upgrades for the general or his units, along with campaign upgrades, items, can make them very personalized. Losing or not having a general with those traits for an army makes a gigantic difference. Same thing with your heroes. Losing a high valued hero to a high level enemy agent can be devastating, especially if is a hero that you use for your armies. In my most recent Khalida campaign, losing multiple high level necrotects in my construct armies to a level 40 skink hero was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    The sad thing is that most battles are over within 5 minutes so you can get a few satisfying moments out of your dragon or other monster unit, in most cases I can't even fully enjoy massmurder-machine Tyrion. Units routing, then returning and routing again is also very annoying, making for a very messy battle. Personally also not a big fan of all the massive battles, most are 20vs20 battles. I don't think they're a lot of fun and most factions are basically done for once you win that battle and all you have to do is autoresolve against the pathetic garrisons.

And then there is Norsca of course, with their marauder horsemen/chariot spam.
    What difficulty are you playing on? I'd say on average a good sized powerful faction in Vortex has a good 4-6 stacks and more on the way, you must be fighting some 2-3 settlement minor factions, who only have 1 and a half stacks or 2. Mortal empires is much different, last time I played it the 2-4 settlement factions were throwing 3 stacks at a time at me, and when I killed one they were sending another, and another. The garrisons are ridiculous in high tiered cities, or minor settlements with a garrison and or wall upgrade. They shouldn't be super strong either, that's the point of taking garrison upgrade buildings. The ai just needs to build them more often in Vortex.

Battles over in 5 minutes? For me except for very early game battles,smaller battles, or against low leadership units ( low tier, Skaven) they take 10-15, 15 usually on siege battles, AND they are very involved. Tactics win the day over the ai. If you want them to take longer make your battle difficulty very hard, gives the ai leadership buffs. Still shorter than something like Medieval 2 for sure, but they last just as long as Attila and the like (in normal). Few satisfying moments with dragon? I have to fight for my life with my high tiered 'cool' units, using them strategically to take out specific units, making sure they can cause panic, using buffs and debuffs correctly.

Norsca needs their update BAAAAD, but that's not coming until may apparently unfortunately.

How long have you guys played (turns in)? What factions?
    Last edited by SturmChurro; January 28, 2018 at 02:12 PM.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dumanthis View Post
    I beg to disagree; in my experience the campaign gameplay is far better than in previous titles or as good as in them.
    Indeed, and more importantly every factions/race plays differently than the others. Warhammer 1 is maybe a bit simpler upon release but later FLC/DLC factions adds lot more unique experience when can be seen later in Warhammer 2.

This is what I hope can be replicated in ToB and later TW3K. Not the magic and dragons, but unique campaign experience between factions.

Quote Originally Posted by LestaT View Post
    Indeed, and more importantly every factions/race plays differently than the others. Warhammer 1 is maybe a bit simpler upon release but later FLC/DLC factions adds lot more unique experience when can be seen later in Warhammer 2.

This is what I hope can be replicated in ToB and later TW3K. Not the magic and dragons, but unique campaign experience between factions.
    There is quite big difference how factions play and how interesting their campaign are. Some are more sandboxy and plain, and some others more narrative and immersive, which in my accounts is better. I think Norsca and Tomb Kings are the best campaign factions to play while Beastmen are kind not really complex and interesting at all.

Vortex is a bit more complex than Chaos invasion but they both work in making the game feel alive instead of sandbox experience. I think CA is now on verge of something very interesting with Warhammer Total War II and I hope they continue on the path.

Interesting article that states that Total War: Warhammer is secretly a HOMM game http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-war...nd-magic-game/