Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Total War Announcement is 3 days away!

Default Re: New Total War Announcement is 3 days away!

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    The bldg in the picture looks Asian style. Plus a lot of mountains. Possibility it could be China
    A last glimpse of hope for a historical TW.
    But I fear the "it´s obviously lizard people WH" crowd will be right in the end

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Damn War hammer. I didn't get into Total War for this nonsense. I want proper history!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Eldgrimr's Avatar Biarchus

You can find some info and clues here.

Probably Warhammer 2. If not, then, I really hope there's musketry. But seeing as they are focusing on "combat animations" my hopes are kind of low. Really low.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

2 hours now. I'm away to have lunch and when I come back I expect Aztecs.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

MesoAmerica lizards.

https://www.twitch.tv/egx
    4pm: The future of Total War: WARHAMMER. Join developers from Creative Assembly for an exclusive look at what's next for the Total War: WARHAMMER series. Fans won't want to miss this!
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

Citizen

So it seems in typical CA fashion, the TW website has crashed just as the announcement goes live. Anyone getting it?
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Citizen

... aaaand it's Warhammer 2. Seriously? Not even an expansion, just an immediate sequel. Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fXxe897bW-A

Campidoctor
    Civitate

Citizen

It's now been 10 years since TW introduced a new historical era. That's ridiculous. I know there are people out there who like Warhammer and if CA wants to make fantasy games then that's fine, but who is going to make historical battle simulators if they don't? It's very disappointing for me and the only reason I still buy CA games is because there isn't anyone else doing what they do (not even themselves, of late). As soon as that changes then I will actually make good on my regular ritual of swearing to boycott CA games every time they make a game that is unplayable due to glitches, or put the suggestions of their loyal fans in the garbage and choose instead to chase 12 year old casuals to make money, or bleed people dry for unnecessary DLCs, and so on. I.e. pretty much every year since 2006. Until then I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I know it's not true but I really do imagine the staff of CA right now are lying back on their deckchairs, sipping a cool Mojito somewhere in the Caribbean, congratulating each other that they actually will manage to get people to spend £50 on something that is effectively just the same game they released a year ago with the number 1 tippexed out and replaced with the number 2 on the box.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; March 31, 2017 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    ... aaaand it's Warhammer 2. Seriously? Not even an expansion, just an immediate sequel. Great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fXxe897bW-A
    It is de-facto an expansion, marketed as sequel. Hell, apparently you will be able to go from first to second in-game, it is on the same engine and is basically another map with more units.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    It is de-facto an expansion, marketed as sequel. Hell, apparently you will be able to go from first to second in-game, it is on the same engine and is basically another map with more units.
    So I hear. And apparently there will be a third one too and they'll all come together as a single game. So people might end up paying £150 for effectively a single game. That must be a record. Rush hour in Horsham must be a sight to behold, a load of CA employees heading into London in their Ferraris and Lamborghinis back to their Mayfair townhouses.

It's now been 10 years since TW introduced a new historical era. That's ridiculous. I know there are people out there who like Warhammer and if CA wants to make fantasy games then that's fine, but who is going to make historical battle simulators if they don't? It's very disappointing for me and the only reason I still buy CA games is because there isn't anyone else doing what they do (not even themselves, of late). As soon as that changes then I will actually make good on my regular ritual of swearing to boycott CA games every time they make a game that is unplayable due to glitches, or put the suggestions of their loyal fans in the garbage and choose instead to chase 12 year old casuals to make money, or bleed people dry for unnecessary DLCs, and so on. I.e. pretty much every year since 2006. Until then I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I know it's not true but I really do imagine the staff of CA right now are lying back on their deckchairs, sipping a cool Mojito somewhere in the Caribbean, congratulating each other that they actually will manage to get people to spend £50 on something that is effectively just the same game they released a year ago with the number 1 tippexed out and replaced with the number 2 on the box.
    Have you seen any TW Warhammer battles? Do you want a new "historical" TW game with this engine and battle mechanics? Sieges like in TWW? Having only 10% (or less) of the city to attack/defend? Soldiers with ladders in their pockets? Horrible looking battlefield if you look it from more than 50 meters (not only in Warhammer but in Rome and Attila 2 too)? Projectiles look just terrible (they looked bad in R2 and ATW too but they were a bit better). The longest battle takes like 10 minutes?

I just hope the next TW after Warhammer 2 will be Warhammer 3 and when the trilogy is finished they will start the historcal one with a new engine.

If you don't like WH don't buy it. I don't care about flying horses, soldiers riding chickens, fighting spiders and all the other thing belong to Warhammer world so I don't buy it.

I do understand CA to make these games because Warhammer is popular (I'm sure it is more popular than Total War itself) and more people want to play Warhammer based Total War than any historical ones.

The historical TW game will come later. We have to accept it and I hope it will be better than the ones they released since Shogun 2 (to be honest I do not like the battle speed in Shogun 2 but the game itself is good).

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    Damn War hammer. I didn't get into Total War for this nonsense. I want proper history!
    Yes, who could forget the legendary Roman ninjas that were so pivotal in the Roman war machine, or the Gladiators that formed the core of the Roman auxiliaries. That's right 'proper' history right there. Of course all the Egyptians wore massive hats reminiscent of the Pope.

Seriously, though, stop kidding yourself. There's more historical accuracy in Call of Duty than there has ever been in Total War. It's historical fantasy, not actual history.

Biarchus

but who is going to make historical battle simulators if they don't? It's very disappointing for me and the only reason I still buy CA games is because there isn't anyone else doing what they do (not even themselves, of late). Until then I guess beggars can't be choosers.
    Very true and very sad at the same time. Our solution is in the power of competition. There is a great opportunity right now, especially in light of this disappointing news today, for a game company to step in and steal some revenue away from CA.

The truth is it's not going to happen, it must be either too costly or not enough money it in for a company to make a game similar to TW. Otherwise, there would have been another competitor by now come in and knock CA off their high horse.

The good news is, at least we have extremely talented modders keeping titles from Rome I Total War to Attila Total War alive and still enjoyable to play.

So I hear. And apparently there will be a third one too and they'll all come together as a single game. So people might end up paying £150 for effectively a single game. That must be a record. Rush hour in Horsham must be a sight to behold, a load of CA employees heading into London in their Ferraris and Lamborghinis back to their Mayfair townhouses.
    Not sure how many people will buy that on release. First one sold well, but was rather empty and a lot of issues with game mechanics haven't been fixed while they are announcing second one, while people will already know what to expect form the second one. I'll probably buy some kind of "super gold" edition for $20-30 when it is on sale on Steam. In comparison, I've bought historical titles pretty much on release, as well as DLCs. I'm sure I'm not the only one like that.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Like some others, I won't be able to play Warhammer II. Nevertheless, I'm interested in the features of this new game and what hints they might provide about the features of historical games in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    For years, some players have complained that expansions were not integrated with the original games. For example, the improvements in Napoleon Total War have no effect in Empire Total War, because they function as separate games. Now, it seems that an expansion will add to the original game. For years, some of us have wanted a game which had the potential to cover more of the world, like ETW did. If they apply the approach they are using with Warhammer to historical games - with expansions adding more of the map (with more factions and units) - then I look forward to seeing the results.

I can see Copperknickers II's point about people paying £150 for the three games in a trilogy. On the other hand, my local cinema costs about £10 to spend 2.5 hours watching a film - that's £4 per hour of entertainment. If I spend £15 on a novel and spend 15 hours reading it, that's £1 per hour. On Steam, Empire Total War with all DLC costs £26.99 - and I've played it for over 1,000 hours - so, compared to other forms of entertainment, Total War games seem like a good deal.
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 01, 2017 at 03:22 AM.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

Warhammer is an insult to the fans who made the TW series a success. It is a cynical attempt to throw loyal fans who stuck with the series for years in the trash and replace them with fast-clicking 13 year olds. A cheap, sordid arcade-game rip off that turns the TW series into a grotesque parody of itself aimed at kids with the attention span of a gnat. This kind of dumbed-down, vacuous and immature form of insidious low-culture debases the entire Total War concept and reduces it to 3-second click fest with no depth and no artistic merit. What kind of lunatic would think the fans would buy this? I certainly won't. I wouldn't download Warhammer even if CA paid me. It's toxic garbage and I'm not going anywhere near it.

The last good thing CA did was TW: Attila. It's a solid game, and it is the only Total War game after Medieval 2 TW that I still play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy1204 View Post
    snip
    In a word: grimdork.

With most developers on console, its always been about penetration: penetrating new markets, becoming the home entertainment god. PC devs were slower, but I think they've reached the apex, when I see schemes like this one from a company with CA's record (well, the further-back record).

What has me scratching my head is why the reveal at all? Just the way they teased W2 with obliquely historical scenery, instead of eye candy for the Warhammer fans, feigns they understand their base. They used interest in the next historical game to hype W2. Very shrewd, but where's the dividend?
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

guys we have had historical TW for 10 years
    may now get fantasy a pass please
    and for all the people crying that CA betrayed them
    CA has a historical game in the works with an unexplored period so CA knows what you want and is working for you
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast