Thread: General why questions

Default General why questions

Hello all and once again speekerofages here with a random topic that picks my brain when I play .

the first one on my mind is jihads or crusade . Generally called on my faction my question is why will the AI call a crusade into literally hells labrynth . What I mean is the settlement which the called crusade for is way to heavily defended and crusaders would likely not even reach the region let alone the city gates . So why doesn't the AI calculate this and decided against it , rather then calling it and having thousands of holy soldiers did at my borders ?

Number umber two is helping factions . Backstory here is ill notice a faction getting destroyed and near destruction of there entire faction I'll go in with army and diplomats offer them alliance trade and money all just for army access . To help them out , yet half way through liberating thre lost Lads they attack me ! And virtually end all I've helped them get back because I counter attack pack up and leave them to there fate . What makes the AI decide this ? With such good relation and I am saving there lives !!!!

Default Re: General why questions

The AI is broken. With Lusted's AI mod they are improved some but you still can't trust them. Nothing you can do there. Even with military access which allows your armies to travel in another factions lands without hurting relations with them they can still attack you or betray you. The only thing you could do is the surrender regions cheat which permanently removes the player of your choosing and turns his lands into rebels. I only use this cheat so selected factions can get big because they only seem to expand fast when attacking rebels and I like a challenge or it's not as fun. Giving the AI more money also helps. So to recap never help the AI yourself. Once they feel powerful enough they may attack you.

The AI usually picks Jerusalem,Antioch, Tripoli or Constantinople for crusades and jihads unless a christian faction is excommunicated or attacks the pope. The AI does poorly against a human player but it does add some difficulty fighting multiple armies. I don't worry about them unless I am being aggressive and want to exploit a bug that allows me to take territories that are not the crusade/jihad objective. The AI against the AI does a bit better. For example the Turks will usually take Constantinople after issuing a jihad because the defending AI always seems to leave a small army in the city. Once the AI takes the city it usually loses it to another faction later.

The game to me never felt finished and was rushed. Mods like Stainless Steel makes the game a bit better but creates some bugs so they have problems too. So I suggest going with Jack Lusted's AI mod. The AI produces better units, full stacked armies, defends passes with forts and does diplomacy better including keeping allies longer. In battles they keep cavalry on the flanks and do a bit better. I did post a link to a working download link a while back. It's in the mod forum. I hope that helps.

UndrState's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: General why questions

OP , I feel like you'd need to give us more specifics if you want us to comment intelligently , like what faction you are playing as , and what settlement get's Crusaded .

Vanilla AI is not broken . OP I recommend reading http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...iplomacy-Guide
    so you can better understand the AI's rationale .