Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Elder Scrolls Discussion Thread

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: Total War

Yeah, as stoked as I'd be for that many religions that limit looms pretty hard. I think cracking it may officially be against the rules too?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Yeah, as stoked as I'd be for that many religions that limit looms pretty hard. I think cracking it may officially be against the rules too?
    Modifying the exe is frowned upon, to say the least, but memory editing is allowed, but very difficult. As it stands, all mods just find ways to deal with the limits and using other methods to express diversity.

I did not know that, I'll try it, if it does CTD i'll downsize.

Nope, that's just the religions.txt, didn't do it to the other effected documents. If I do get a CTD, which will be most likely, I'll cut it back down, but have Mehrunes Dagon worshipped by the Oblivion Horde. I wish CA would release the source code for Med II already.

That's probably never going to happen until future archaeologists find the CA archives.

Vythodias's Avatar Libertus
    Northern Catskill Mountains; upstate New York

I've been giving some thought to the distribution of the some of the resources... Many of the resources on the Strategy Map seem a bit non sequitur. I mean, there are quite a few resources that are completely inaccessible, placed in the middle of mountain ranges, or some resources that just seem oddly placed. Does anyone know how to address this?

Things I'd like to see: (I don't know about any of you, but trade often becomes the primary source of much of my revenue.)

Fish, for example is found no where near any of the coastal regions. Though lumber has been obviously placed, it would be nice to see a lumber resource placed accurately in Riverwood; in fact, anywhere there are mills found (in Skyrim). Why not furs in Falkreath, a hold famed for it's woodsmen and hunters? Gold and Silver should be placed in the Reach with much iron as well; maybe even some gems (amber) as well; I'd like to see more minerals in general. Whiterun seems barren and almost desolate, which doesn't follow with canon at all... Don't give me any of that Skyrim is rugged and isolated nonsense, there are still obviously resources to be had. There should be rich and fertile farmland found there in abundance, along with wheat, [tundra]cotton, and honey for all the obvious reasons. But yet, inexplicably no farms to be found - not one. Seriously?

Glass isn't anywhere to be found? Are they not using it in Tamriel? Are the windows made out of spun-sugar? Apropos of sugar, perhaps the sugar can be renamed to moonsugar, eh? Is this even doable? While I've brought up renaming resources (assuming such a thing were possible) one could always change the name from "glass", to "alchemical ingredients" seeing as how the representation is a glass beaker.

I really like that wine was added to the West-Weald, this makes perfect sense. Silks in Hammerfell, also a good call. In the case of Morrowind, why not rename Marble into Ebony and price it accordingly? Honey should also be added to the Rift. No citrus? Anywhere? Common. Ink or dye could be called something else relevant to Elder Scrolls. Etc, etc. The inclusion of slavery, although distasteful and abhorrent to someone like me, makes sense for the Dres and Telvanni. One should be able to build (forts or castles) over resources, this would be a great way to roleplay the outlawing of the practice. As it is now, one cannot build over a resource. Lame. At least I think so.

I'm sorry, It's not my intention to get bogged down in details, but if it's worth doing, it's worth doing well, yeah? I just wish I knew how to do all of it myself, but unfortunately, I'm just a novice.

I did successfully manage to add Imperial Captains and Officers to my Skyrim Regiments however, (Pro-Empire, obviously!) thanks to the proper instruction from Gigantus. Also, I learned how to manipulate the files in such a way that the Thegns no longer render as silversurfers. I also placed Necromancers as Regimental Captains of the Undead, which makes sense to me. If anyone is interested in these tweaks just lemme' know and I'll share them with you. The Mod has so much untapped potential, I just wish I could contribute meaningfully. In the event there are any silly Stormcloaks out there, I can tell you how to add Nord Captains to your regiments, it's super easy. Imperial Officers were much more tricky.

Love the mages of the game. They're just awesome, but they're so OP'd, I had to nerf them a bit. Also, I wish you could choose to build different kinds of taverns, depending upon which type of assassins you wanted to hire. I personally have never liked the DB, but I understand it's inclusion for continuity's sake; it's neat they added the Morag Tong for Morrowind. I wish there was a more pronounced mercenary presence in the game, I cannot find orcish mercenaries anywhere, but yet they're clearly listed in the list of units; it has been expressed by others, that having the addition of the Companions would be awesome; maybe even werewolves. Dare I dream it? One should be able to hire Ashlander Mercenaries as well, as they look so amazing, excellent job with their rendering.

I can go on, but it would just be mostly nonsensical rambling.
    Last edited by Vythodias; September 11, 2015 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Typos
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam.

Renaming, and even using new models and textures for resources is very doable. It'd make a lot of sense to change what you've mentioned.

Well, it's good to know I'm not completely alone in thinking so; it seemed obvious in my mind, but I'm only very superficially familiar with the files in the game and I have no idea how to change things on the strat.map. If I were I'da made stone-forts buildable, but I have zero proficiency with understanding how.

I had thought today, while in the shower of all places, (how random, right?) that one could rename the dye, into 'hist-sap' and make it very expensive. This would make Blackmarsh/Argonia an inevitable province to much trade conflict; it kinda' tickled my fancy, I dunno. I think certain areas should be hotspots for mercantile conflict, just like in our own ordinary world. Sheep should be added too.

I was just really surprised by the lack of [resource] variety, considering all the work that went into the strategy map itself.

You have a good point on the resources, probably why it is so hard to build up and hold onto money. I was also thinking of adding Inn's/Taverns to the list of buildings, generates money, increases population happiness and increases trade. Could also finally have Fighter's Guilds, which apart from allowing you to get Fighter Guild mercs, also generates money from all the quests.

You have a good point on the resources, probably why it is so hard to build up and hold onto money.
    No, it's true stuff. I for one, have always enjoyed going into all the little sub-windows and exploring the various settlements' potential. The consumption, production and distribution of any local resources is nearly always one of my first goals in the game. I pride myself on being an effectual administrator, and seeing the loss of income because of the deplorable lack of trade is gag-inducing. Sometimes, in the settlements, I wince because there doesn't appear to be anything of value, aside from the taxes! (Which makes sense in some case - but, common, not most) I watch over my coffers like a hawk and practice the same discipline and spartan frugality in real life, and I'm pretty humourless about it - yes, I use coupons, and no I'm not in AARP. Anyway, in the game, corrupt or ineffectual administrators get relegated to the front lines, while men of acumen and mercantile ability are promoted to provincial governors; it makes no sense having a man oversee the fiscal solvency and internal integrity of the realm, if he cannot even read or write. Whereas men with a talent for violence are always welcome on the front lines... and with my play style... there is always [a] front-line(s).
    Last edited by Vythodias; September 12, 2015 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typo

Ha ha, I have Ragnar on the Front line in Valenwood, he's not corrupt but he's a good governor and inspirational general. He keeps the elves happy enough.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Does anybody know how to make The Undead faction act like other faction? I mean that they will be conquering other factions settlements and so on..

freeze_faction_ai saxons
    you will find it in the beginning of the campaign scripts. Delete both of them.

Anyone ever see this dialogue register in the system.log?

03:08:28.192 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/shortcut.txt.strings.bin is missing
    03:08:28.192 [system.io] [warning] open: mods/americas/data/text/shortcut.txt is missing
    03:08:30.536 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    Quite suddenly, the game won't even start now. I looked for the described text files in the log, in the text folder, and nothing matching that description was in the installed version, or in the original archive - completely mystified.

Edit: Please disregard, I reinstalled and now the mod works perfectly again. Not sure what happened.
    Last edited by Vythodias; September 15, 2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Extra-detail submitted

The mod is very good, very entertaining . I 0 cdt, great guys going a great job

I was pretty scared when I saw 3 whole armies of daedras in my territory, but fortunately did not attack me. They were standing long time and after many turns conquered the capital of the Empire and expanded very, very fast.

Right now we are allies. But I would love a war against daedras and conquer the imperial capital, it would be very epic.

Gaming Emeritus

You would lose

I'm sure I'll lose. ajjajaj but with sword in hand jajjajajaj

I was watching the statistics of daedricas units and units far exceed my troops. Fight any custom battle against them and lost forever ajajajja. My best result was a defeat in which I killed daedras 1000. I had 2000 men and 2400 them, but almost all units were elites.

So here, I'll accept your challenge and I will declare war: P

Gaming Emeritus

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Good luck

Nahun's gonna' need more then luck if he plans on tangling with the hordes of oblivion; their armour is nearly impenetrable, their weapons are as sharp as sin, their stats are absurdly inflated and they belch forth with the fury of insane demons on ritalin, and leave a path of rape, pillage and general slaughter in their wake.

Honestly, the only real discernible weakness they have... is they all can still catch fire, thanks to the overpowered mages... Yes, I love my mages.

Gaming Emeritus

When i played as TE they never took Imperial City from me. I put elite army on tge bridge east of Weye with trebuchets and mages. They never got through tho...