Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Hellenic Poleis

Default Map of Hellenic Poleis

I couldn't find anything like this out there, so hopefully people will find this of some use. Should be accurate as of 2.2h 2.35A R3.5 (only changes were the downgrading of Alexandria and the addition of Lilubim). Any corrections, suggestions, etc. welcome.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EB2 polis map.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	368436
    Key
    Pink: Minor Hellenistic Polis
    Yellow: Hellenistic Polis
    Orange: Hellenistic Metropolis

Credit to CanOmer for his Paintable EB2 map.
    Last edited by bendsley; November 25, 2022 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Updated for 2.35A R3.5

Default Re: Map of Hellenic Poleis

Very nice I think Damascos has a Minor Polis though.

Great job. One small clarification - it's the starting locations. The AI Hellenistic factions can build them almost anywhere that meets the conditions, they don't have colony points.

Quote Originally Posted by Colos1987 View Post
    Very nice I think Damascos has a Minor Polis though.
    It doesn't. It lacks polis or colony buildings, though any of those could be built there.

I guess you are right, as I never really had that city from turn 1. I usually conquered it very early though, with a minor polis in it, so I guess that's what mislead me...

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by bendsley View Post
    I couldn't find anything like this out there, so hopefully people will find this of some use. Should be accurate as of 2.2h. Any corrections, suggestions, etc. welcome.

Attachment 344214
    Key
    Pink: Minor Hellenistic Polis
    Yellow: Hellenistic Polis
    Orange: Hellenistic Metropolis

Credit to CanOmer for his Paintable EB2 map.
    Good map, though by now I've already memorised where the poleis are.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Tiro

Good one, thanks for sharing

melvidh

PD: Could some kind soul enlight me how do i rep someone? i was going to add a rep to thread author and i wasnt able.. bah.
    Last edited by melvidh; April 02, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melvidh View Post
    PD: Could some kind soul enlight me how do i rep someone? i was going to add a rep to thread author and i wasnt able.. bah.
    There's a small green "+" on the bottom left of each post. That's how you add rep.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Strange that Olbia isn't a city?

Quote Originally Posted by Guils View Post
    Strange that Olbia isn't a city?
    It had been in decline in the years leading up to our game-start.

Could we have a map showing where it's possible to build a polis?

Could we have a map showing where it's possible to build a polis?
    That map would be everywhere that isn't a pastoral province. With the condition that you've increased Hellenistic Polities to 29% and have a market present.

I think he meant the places that start 29% or higher hellenistic polities, so the player can just conquer and quickly build a polis there. Places such as Olbia or Bythinia.

Courtesy of GeoMod:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rel_h.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	355604

Concentrations of rel_h at the start of the game.

Wow, thank you!

Reading this again, I think that Alexandria shouldn't be a metropolis, because although the were Greek people, they were not predominant in the Nile Delta. The mass of the population remained Egyptian. On the other hand, Kyrene was a very large Greek city, of about 300.000 inhabitants (Hansen & Nielsen in the Inventory of Greek Poleis say: "The total population of Kyrene, city and countryside included, has been estimated for C4 at around 300,000 (Laronde (1987) 340, 342, discussing earlier estimates; lower estimates in Goodchild (1971) 15). Even on a low figure, Kyrene was one of the most populous Greek states of her time.") And they were several other Greek cities in the area.
    So I propose changing both Alexandria and Kyrene to lvl. 2. It would make it much more important for the player to keep Kyrene and the Asian possessions to have the colonists.

Reading this again, I think that Alexandria shouldn't be a metropolis, because although the were Greek people, they were not predominant in the Nile Delta. The mass of the population remained Egyptian. On the other hand, Kyrene was a very large Greek city, of about 300.000 inhabitants (Hansen & Nielsen in the Inventory of Greek Poleis say: "The total population of Kyrene, city and countryside included, has been estimated for C4 at around 300,000 (Laronde (1987) 340, 342, discussing earlier estimates; lower estimates in Goodchild (1971) 15). Even on a low figure, Kyrene was one of the most populous Greek states of her time.") And they were several other Greek cities in the area.
    So I propose changing both Alexandria and Kyrene to lvl. 2. It would make it much more important for the player to keep Kyrene and the Asian possessions to have the colonists.
    Ironically, we did downgrade Alexandreia to a polis_two some time ago in the development build. Thus it is in the patch.

However, we didn't upgrade Kyrene, part of the motivation for the downgrading of Alexandreia was also to make colonisation more difficult for the Ptolemaioi without effort.

Ok, took a look at the polis script and can confirm the Lvl 2 Polis build locations:

Everywhere in red is where a polis 2 (Hellenistic Polis) can theoretically be built, as of 2.35A R3.5.

The following locations can also theoretically house polis 2 but are not shown in red:
    • Rekem
    • Bostra
    • Dedan
    • Tadmur
    • Maiotis
    • Khsiragatai Ubastra
    • Klepidava
    • Antiocheia Sousianes
    • Pselkis
    • Histrie
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

For those who it is helpful I can confirm Histrie is a second level poleis.

The map I put up are all of the locations where second level polises can be built, if you are looking for a map of polises already present at the start of the campaign, check the opening post.

EDIT: Lilybaeum should also start with a minor polis, the map has not been updated in a while....
    Last edited by realm56; October 02, 2021 at 06:08 PM.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

I was just confirming that despite not being in red Histrie can be built up to a second level poleis at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast