Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is my i5 4670k so :wub:ing hot??

Douchebag's Avatar Vicarius

Default why is my i5 4670k so :wub:ing hot??

my i5 4670k CPU's idle temp is somewhere between 44-59 degrees celsius. if memory serves me right, my stock CPU cooler/heatsink came with a pre-applied thermal paste...is this simply not good enough??? i bought this CPU 4 yrs ago btw. i havent seen the temps while gaming, as im too scared it might burn CPU or something...but i think the high temps one of the reasons why Mass Effect Andromeda would stutter/freeze every 10 mins or so(only for momentarily).

would buying a new thermal paste make any difference?? any help is appreciated!

Default Re: why is my i5 4670k so :wub:ing hot??

You've probably thought of all this already, but how clean is the computer and where it sits? How hot do the other components get? Had a look inside? I was getting a similarly hot idle CPU (in summer) just because of dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    You've probably thought of all this already, but how clean is the computer and where it sits? How hot do the other components get? Had a look inside? I was getting a similarly hot idle CPU (in summer) just because of dust.
    i cleaned my computer last week. it wasnt even that dusty anyway. as for my other components, my GPU idle temp is 35 degrees celsius, RAMs is at 27 degrees celsius. and no, i didnt overclock my CPU either.

Sadly I don't know anything about cooling other than fans, but I think the problem is more likely to be something other than old paste due to the high temperature. Other than that I can't help. Sorry.

I'm not an Intel guy by any means, so please pardon me if it sounds like this is coming out of my ass.

While the stock cooler that Intel provides is better than what AMD provides with their CPUs, it isn't sufficient to cool the i5's and i7's, which is probably why your CPU appears to be running hot. What I've also found out, is that some Intel CPU types tend to overheat more so than others, but it isn't known exactly why. My recommendation: try installing an aftermarket cooler, with a adequate amount of thermal paste, and see if that makes a difference.

karamazovmm's Avatar スマトラ警備隊

It would be a good guess to reaply the thermal paste, its not expensive and it should be ok.

Aside that those temps arent even high, that quite normal

The very ugly forgive, but beauty is essential - Vinicius de Moraes

thanks for the reply guys. +rep to each of you.

Quote Originally Posted by karamazovmm View Post
    It would be a good guess to reaply the thermal paste, its not expensive and it should be ok.

Aside that those temps arent even high, that quite normal
    really?? did a quick google search and it said idle temps should be about 37-42 degrees. i just played mass effect andromeda for 30 minutes and it was reaching about 70-79 degrees celsius. is this normal?? ive been gaming with this computer for about 4 years now without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    did a quick google search and it said idle temps should be about 37-42 degrees. i just played mass effect andromeda for 30 minutes and it was reaching about 70-79 degrees celsius. is this normal??
    This is NOT normal. IIRC above 60 C is potentially damaging to a CPU, 70 for a GPU, and you'd definitely want it lower than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    This is NOT normal. IIRC above 60 C is potentially damaging to a CPU, 70 for a GPU, and you'd definitely want it lower than that.
    No, it's not damaging. TJ max is 105C and that temp is quite far from it.

What you can do is a repaste, but I'm not even worried about those temps

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Depends on the type, for example GTX Titans can run up to 95 degrees Celsius.

Of course watercooling vs aircooling makes a major difference as well in how hot the parts run, generally, even though it seems very hot to us computer parts can run at temperatures far beyond 60 degrees celsius nowdays.
    Last edited by z3n; March 25, 2017 at 04:22 PM.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

hmm...i dunno much about computers, but when im running CPU-Z the core speed is running between 3500-3700mhz. shouldnt it be at 3400 mhz??? i also noticed the core voltage jumps to 1.113V when the core speed reaches 3700mhz. could this be the reason why my temp is so high???

edit: idle temperature is still ranging from 45-58 degrees celsius

Last edited by Douchebag; March 26, 2017 at 12:40 AM.

neep's Avatar Tiro

You didn't mention what your temperatures were previously, so I'm assuming that this is way higher than before.

Depending on how long you want to keep that CPU, you could just go ahead and live with it. It should throttle back if it gets too hot.
    High temperatures may shorten it's useful life, but if you don't intend to keep it for more than a few years it shouldn't matter.

On the other hand, keeping temperatures as low as reasonably possible allows you to keep using the same CPU for a loooooong time.
    So, try some simple fixes -

re-apply thermal paste
    I would go ahead and buy the best I could get rather than rely on the default stuff that came with the CPU
    For the sake of $10 it doesn't make a lot of sense to be cheap on this
    Even if it's used once I still consider it worthwhile to buy the good stuff - Cool Laboratory Liquid Metal

Make sure that everything is screwed down tight
    Even a little wiggle room can reduce the efficiency of the cooling system

Make sure that the fan(s) are pumping hot air out of your computer box
    Everything might be working but if the flow of air in the box is poor you can end up with local hot spots.
    Check the internal flow of air and make sure there's no obstructions or choke points

Consider upgrading to an all in one water cooler for your CPU
    Provides amazing cooling capabilities - Arctic Liquid Freezer 240

That makes sense, it seems like your processor is actually doing a small amount of work by running chrome so it's not necessarily idle. Hence why it's hot.

My 3770k runs at about 35-45 celsius when surfing the web or some other mundane task at 4.4ghz.
    I should add it's watercooled (h100i).
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Quote Originally Posted by z3n View Post
    That makes sense, it seems like your processor is actually doing a small amount of work by running chrome so it's not necessarily idle. Hence why it's hot.

My 3770k runs at about 35-45 celsius when surfing the web or some other mundane task at 4.4ghz.
    I should add it's watercooled (h100i).
    the h100i is one of the best AIO watercoolers that there is... compared to the intel stock cooler there is a large gap.

Im still not worried about those temps.

the intel stock cooler will get the job done.

Remember that your max temp is 105C, there is a large distance there to go. And no, running the CPU even 20C near those temp wont damage it.

Yeah, I'm not worried at all, I've never seen it go past that actually no matter what I do.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Yeah, I'm not worried at all, I've never seen it go past that actually no matter what I do.
    watercooling has a longer rise of temps curve, a much much much longer curve compared to air coolers.

Actually depending on what you do regarding watercooling you dont even need to ramp up the fan, a very robust system would be very quiet and at the same noise level during all times of operation, be it at idle or extreme load

Not really, my graphics cards aren't watercooled so they make up for the lack of noise from the CPU.
    I was supposed to get hydrocopper but they switched them out in turn for superclocked (which were useless and I had to downclock both cards or they'd cause crashes.)
    The AI Workshop Creator

Not really, my graphics cards aren't watercooled so they make up for the lack of noise from the CPU.
    I was supposed to get hydrocopper but they switched them out in turn for superclocked (which were useless and I had to downclock both cards or they'd cause crashes.)
    OH! Sorry for that, I meant a custom loop when i mentioned the "robust watercooling system".

If you use like 2x to 3x 240mm/360mm/180mm radiators that can hold and dissipate some heat, you may basically tailor your system for the loudest part be the pump, and that means trowing your gpu in the mix.

Those systems however run at least 600 bucks for the watercooling itself, rads + fittings (lots) + tubes + radiators + water + waterblocks for both cpu and gpu + pump + reservoir = expensive.

Here is a store that I like https://www.ekwb.com/shop/

guys, can a dried up thermal paste cause CPU to overheat??? if so, by how many degrees??? i took a look at my CPU today and the thermal paste was completely dried up.

Quote Originally Posted by Douchebag View Post
    guys, can a dried up thermal paste cause CPU to overheat??? if so, by how many degrees??? i took a look at my CPU today and the thermal paste was completely dried up.
    yes, it would raise the temps... thats why I said to repaste

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast