Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

So it really is just that 1.2.1 requires much more hardware horsepower then...... Alright, well I appreciate the reply. Crazy to me that there is such a stark difference between 1.1 and 1.2, but sounds like there isn't much to be done besides getting a new computer haha.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatse_Mare View Post
    So it really is just that 1.2.1 requires much more hardware horsepower then...... Alright, well I appreciate the reply. Crazy to me that there is such a stark difference between 1.1 and 1.2, but sounds like there isn't much to be done besides getting a new computer haha.
    Hey buddy...Tenerife_Boy is right about usual laptop issues (even Alienware) and gaming.
    But don't get disappointed just yet, we'll try a few things.
    Give me a pic of your game settings and we'll take it from there.

P.S Also try the 6th step from the opening post.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 22, 2017 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks for the reply once again!

I will be home from work in a couple hours, at which point I will try step #6 on the first post in this thread (not sure how I missed that one..) and also follow up with a screen cap of my game settings. Appreciate the help.

Thanks for the reply once again!

I will be home from work in a couple hours, at which point I will try step #6 on the first post in this thread (not sure how I missed that one..) and also follow up with a screen cap of my game settings. Appreciate the help.
    Νo problem mate.
    Let me know.

Hello again. My game settings are as follows:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...931629F16E4B1/

In 1.1, i could have 10k troops or more on the field with very minimal lag with these settings.

Hello again. My game settings are as follows:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.n...931629F16E4B1/

In 1.1, i could have 10k troops or more on the field with very minimal lag with these settings.
    Ok have you tried the 6th step ???
    Also try these settings Shadows very high, cause with low they are rendered through your CPU and not GPU. Water Low, terrain Very high.
    You could try to disable Hyper-threading after that, lock your FPS with DXTORY or through other programs like Afterburner etc around 50.
    I'm not sure if 1.2.1 has updated graphic impact and if KAM or Dresden changed anything to the unit variation. We could ask them but I don't think the cause is something like that. Are you using any submods ???

As a last choice you could reinstall the game completely and I mean using a program like Revo Uninstaller etc so you'll erase every file and folder of it.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 22, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

Just played a battle 5 min ago (20v20) after performing step #6 and changing my water to low, terrain to very high and shadows to very high. Performance was MUCH better and the game is fully playable now. That being said I do still have seemingly random major dips mid battle. After doing a bit more playing I have come to realize that the dips in fps coincide with my disk usage (as seen on task manager) repeatedly spiking to 99% or 100%, also seemingly at random, since I don't have a ton of other processes running. This leads me to believe I might have some kind of issue with my hard disk.

Just played a battle 5 min ago (20v20) after performing step #6 and changing my water to low, terrain to very high and shadows to very high. Performance was MUCH better and the game is fully playable now. That being said I do still have seemingly random major dips mid battle. After doing a bit more playing I have come to realize that the dips in fps coincide with my disk usage (as seen on task manager) repeatedly spiking to 99% or 100%, also seemingly at random, since I don't have a ton of other processes running. This leads me to believe I might have some kind of issue with my hard disk.
    I'm glad your fps are better now. Be aware that the major dips are a bug of the Total War Engine generally. Some of the users have them and some others not. It may or may not be an issue with your disk.
    You have an SSD right ???

Nope, just a regular HDD as far as I know. I'll keep messing around with stuff but at least I can play this beautiful mod now! Thx again for your help

Nope, just a regular HDD as far as I know. I'll keep messing around with stuff but at least I can play this beautiful mod now! Thx again for your help
    Glad to be of service.
    Feel free to let me know for any other issues may happen.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    I was also going to ask what people's views were on Hyper-Threading. Do people make a point of disabling/enabling it? Does it have an impact on performance?
    Couple of weeks ago I had time to test this with my I7 4790K. With HT enabled I had 4-5 more FPS in benchmarks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vardano View Post
    Couple of weeks ago I had time to test this with my I7 4790K. With HT enabled I had 4-5 more FPS in benchmarks.
    Could you also check your battle map and campaign fps please ???
    Cheers.

Same processor here Vardano. Not sure if FPS has improved due to enabling HT, as I lock mine at 60, through Nvidia Inspector.

@Greek Stategos. I used to have HT disabled, but, turned it back on, as it helped iron out a few issues with a different game (Witcher 3).

Probably not surprising, but I've found upgrading from a 1070 to 1080 produced little to no increase in average FPS. The only thing that has helped with my particular setup, is overclocking the 16GB RAM from 1600MHZ to 1866MHZ.

My water setting is on 'very high,' (like all other graphical settings) at the present. Have people generally found lowering this actually helps? This is going to sound petty, but putting any setting below 'medium,' makes me shudder ;-)

Same processor here Vardano. Not sure if FPS has improved due to enabling HT, as I lock mine at 60, through Nvidia Inspector.

@Greek Stategos. I used to have HT disabled, but, turned it back on, as it helped iron out a few issues with a different game (Witcher 3).

Probably not surprising, but I've found upgrading from a 1070 to 1080 produced little to no increase in average FPS. The only thing that has helped with my particular setup, is overclocking the 16GB RAM from 1600MHZ to 1866MHZ.

My water setting is on 'very high,' (like all other graphical settings) at the present. Have people generally found lowering this actually helps? This is going to sound petty, but putting any setting below 'medium,' makes me shudder ;-)
    Yes, I saw in depth test where guy proves that OC RAM from 1333 to 2400 or higher can give up 6-8 more FPS in most CPU extensive games, it's not huge numbers obvioulsy, but it's still something, obviously too. Unfortunately my motherboard not allowing me to overclock RAM above 1600Mhz but at least I have stable 4.7Ghz OC on CPU which is very helpful for Total War games.

Hey Charlieh, I was to buy Palit Gamerock 1070 today at really good price but found same brand GTX 1080 which is only 90 Euros more expensive than 1070. Should I go for that 1080?
    And since we about to have same CPU and GPU, would you be so kind to test Attila on Max settings for me with your setup please? I wonder which PC can handle MK 1212 at solid 50-60 FPS.

@ Greek Strategos, same for battle map mate, but it is little bit harder to confirm since difference between 5 fps is small and every battle plays out different too. Worthy to note HT on/off can gain more or less FPS depending on a game but not by a big margin from what I've learned from different tests.
    Last edited by Vardano; May 23, 2017 at 01:56 PM.

Some specific settings like shadows,terrain etc when they are at low or medium rendered with your CPU and not, GPU as I have said before and that's something you don't want for any game.
    Now about water, just check my 7th tip in the opening post. Depending on your setup you could try different combinations of settings and see what works best for you.

Hey Charlieh, I'm was to buy Palit Gamerock 1070 today at really good price but found same brand GTX 1080 which is only 90 Euros more expensive than 1070. Should I go for that 1080?
    And since we about to have same CPU and GPU, would you be so kind to test Attila on Max settings for me with your setup please? I wonder which PC can handle MK 1212 at solid 50-60 FPS.
    No you shouldn't. The differences between 1080 and 1070 are minimal under normal gaming. The big difference is between 1070 and 1080ti.
    Βetter save the extra 100 to buy another hardware part.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 23, 2017 at 12:36 PM.

@Vardano. Yes, I couldn't boot with anything above 1866MHZ; annoying. Sorry, I was dissapointed with Vanilla Rome 2, so I didn't get Atilla. Yes, Greek Strategos is right. Go for the 1070; the 1080 hasn't really made any difference. I'm sure you have, but if you are buying a third party GPU, look up some reviews before hand. Personally, I have gone for the Gigabyte brand for both 1070 and 1080 and can recommend them. That being said, I used to have a Palit 770 and had no problems. In addition, I'm only at 4.5GHZ overclock at the moment. Are you on water-cooling, or, are you able to maintain stable temps with just a fan solution?

@Greek Strategos. Thanks, I will have a look at that 7th tip.
    Last edited by charlieh; May 23, 2017 at 01:02 PM.

@Vardano. Yes, I couldn't boot with anything above 1866MHZ; annoying. Sorry, I was dissapointed with Vanilla Rome 2, so I didn't get Atilla. Yes, Greek Strategos is right. Go for the 1070; the 1080 hasn't really made any difference. I'm sure you have, but if you are buying a third party GPU, look up some reviews before hand. Personally, I have gone for the Gigabyte brand for both 1070 and 1080 and can recommend them. That being said, I used to have a Palit 770 and had no problems. In addition, I'm only at 4.5GHZ overclock at the moment. Are you on water-cooling, or, are you able to maintain stable temps with just a fan solution?
    For any game a 4.5ghz OC is more than enough. Above that, let's say for 4.8ghz the difference you'll see isn't worth the extra temps and voltage.
    You don't need a 4.5ghz OC but you could have it for sure. I'm OCing the last 15 years and I like to OC everything, even my tablet in my gaming pc my 7700K runs rock solid at 4.8ghz for games 5ghz for benches (with AIO watercooling Corsair H115Ii) and my 2nd Multimedia pc has an i5 running at 4.5ghz with a Be Quiet Cooler. Let me know if you need any advice or tips.

@Greek Strategos. Thanks, I will have a look at that 7th tip.
    No problem buddy.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 23, 2017 at 01:47 PM.

Thank you for advices guys!
    I actually watched tones of reviews and people say that Palit outdone themselves with 10 series. Very cold and stable cards even with OC. Those cards run as cold as MSI ones and recommended on par with more famous brands.

Yeah, I have Hyper Evo 212 Cooler and to my big surprise 4.7Ghz of constant OC my temps are at 39-41 celsius when idle and never go over 63-65 in extensive games. My core voltage is only 1.240. I actually was able to lower my vlotages even more and pass AIDA64 stability test but later I saw blue screens and went back to 1.240. I guess I have a good chip.
    Last edited by Vardano; May 23, 2017 at 01:56 PM.

Thank you for advices guys!
    I actually watched tones of reviews and people say that Palit outdone themselves with 10 series. Very cold and stable cards even with OC. Those cards run as cold as MSI ones and recommended on par with more famous brands.

Yeah, I have Hyper Evo 212 Cooler and to my big surprise 4.7Ghz of constant OC my temps are at 39-41 celsius when idle and never go over 63-65 in extensive games. My core voltage is only 1.240. I actually was able to lower my vlotages even more and pass AIDA64 stability test but later I saw blue screens and went back to 1.240. I guess I have a good chip.
    1240v is quite low yes, so I guess you have a golden chip indeed.
    I usually go with 1.255v at 4.8ghz and 1.280-90v at 5ghz
    Be aware that any stress test puts your CPU under considerable heavy duty and usually even under the most extreme games you'll never reach such stress, so your temps will be much lower when gaming (not benching).

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

Hello,
    Recently my desktop died, so sad. But, it has given me the chance buy a new one. However, even though I understand desktops are far better value for money I will have to buy a laptop instead due to my living situation for the next few years. I've done a fair amount of research so far, and have come to focus on either one with the gtx 1060 and i7-7700hq or gtx 1070 with i7-7700hq. The main question I have is whether it would be worth spending the extra $135 on getting the i7-78** instead.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk