Page 5 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I stickied this thread, thanks for working on it Please keep updating the first post with more ideas and details as they come up for general tips/etc.

Some basic tips could also be useful eventually - I only remember a few off the top of my head:
    1 - For some reason, turning some settings up actually improves performance (like shadows or textures to high). This might not be applicable to everyone, though.
    2 - Make sure unlimited video memory is activated.
    3 - ....I cant think of any more right now
    Thanks for the sticky mate. Ι have added only some quick tips, with more to follow. I will surely keep working on it.
    Ι have some other guides in my mind as well

Αs for your tips yeah we have mentioned it in the thread at some point, I'll make sure to add them with an explanation.

Cheers.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 03, 2017 at 02:09 PM.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

For gameplay, etc. guides we could add new stickies in the gameplay subforum if anyone works on that idea - mechanics, etc.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

For gameplay, etc. guides we could add new stickies in the gameplay subforum if anyone works on that idea - mechanics, etc.
    Sure...
    For any Specific Faction's gameplay I'll need to discuss it with @Tenerife_Boy and probably @Garband who has some solid gameplay tips already in the subforum.
    For the mechanics I will surely need yours and KAM's advice, but I think it'll be better to discuss it after 1.2 arrives, right ???
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 03, 2017 at 02:33 PM.

Yeah, probably premature to do it before then.

Any strategy/mechanics guides would also be better as a collective work also I imagine (as you suggested). Garbad has some great stuff and help there in those forums already.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Yeah, probably premature to do it before then.

Any strategy/mechanics guides would also be better as a collective work also I imagine (as you suggested). Garbad has some great stuff and help there in those forums already.
    Great. I think we're gonna make this work.

Centenarius

Any idea how to force the game to recognize 8GB on a GTX 1070? I tried the -2000 and -4000 numbers in the preferences file and they both only gave me 4GB.

Nobody has mentioned anything about max rendered frames (flip queue size for AMD) and its possible effects. Also the bink_use_thread setting to false instead of true.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    Any idea how to force the game to recognize 8GB on a GTX 1070? I tried the -2000 and -4000 numbers in the preferences file and they both only gave me 4GB.
    4GB I believe is the maximum the RII warscape engine can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    That's not possible, it's an engine limitation. The game only shows 4GB.
    CA told us that when you have Unlimited memory checked the game in theory uses your full GPU's Memory. But in most cases it only uses only as high as 4giga.
    But even with 4giga recognizable you're still good to go.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 03, 2017 at 03:33 PM.

Not sure where to put this solution
    Rebuilt pc from non steam issue, bad bad ssd bad dog!
    So after the rebuild I could not launch DEI, rest of steam was fine as was Rtw2 just no DEI, bummer, loaded reload re installed nothing
    The solutions was, there are TWO DEI in the workshop, one is 1-6 one is 1-5, you want to use just the 1-5 newer I presume, perhaps the older ones should be gone? I know that would suck for the users though... I am happy again, totally different game with DEI chess to checkers better and more emersive!!! EXACTLY what I wanted to make the game have an army in the field cost and food etc

BRAVO mods please place this in the correct folder.. its not a bug report though rather a solution so I was un clear on what is what! haha

Quote Originally Posted by freeboy View Post
    Not sure where to put this solution
    Rebuilt pc from non steam issue, bad bad ssd bad dog!
    So after the rebuild I could not launch DEI, rest of steam was fine as was Rtw2 just no DEI, bummer, loaded reload re installed nothing
    The solutions was, there are TWO DEI in the workshop, one is 1-6 one is 1-5, you want to use just the 1-5 newer I presume, perhaps the older ones should be gone? I know that would suck for the users though... I am happy again, totally different game with DEI chess to checkers better and more emersive!!! EXACTLY what I wanted to make the game have an army in the field cost and food etc

BRAVO mods please place this in the correct folder.. its not a bug report though rather a solution so I was un clear on what is what! haha
    I don't even know what you're saying but the recent DeI 1.2v is only available here on twc. Remove (unsubscribe) the parts on steam cause they are outdated.

First Post updated.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

This is a revelation, I've been wondering why my graphics are worse after returning to the game post-patch 17.*
    I have a new custom built i7 (by Maingear) and a much better graphics card (GTX 970) than before, but my video memory is listed in game at 3000(something) rather than the actual 4096 MB of dedicated GDDR5 that I have (with total available graphics memory at 12257MB).

before I make these changes can you clarify something?

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post

1)Go to (C:\Users\User name(your profile)\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\scripts\preferences.scripts . Open it with Notepad.
    2)Now scroll down to like the 10th line of the text & look for gfx_video_memory 0;
    3)Now change it to gfx_video_memory -2000; or -4000;
    I'm not sure what the line in preferences script is supposed to look like after your suggested change. Is it:
    1. gfx_video_memory -2000;
    or
    2. gfx_video_memory -4000;
    or
    3. gfx_video_memory -2000; or -4000;

Thanks for the clarification! Can't wait to try it out.

*On a separate but related note
    , another thing is that all the ambient dust and atmosphere around the units are gone since patch 17. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I recall EB II looking better than Magnar mod and DeI in the heat of battle. Now rome2 seems to have removed all the atmospheric dust and impact debris that gets kicked up around lots of men moving and fighting. I'm using Enhanced particles mod, Extended particles mod, and SEEM 1.6 (at the advice of Tenerife Boy) but they have very little effect. I can now see a little light dust around units, but just barely -- nothing like the mod's screen shots or what the engine used to produce. I'm hoping your fix above changes this, but if not, do you have other advice for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    This is a revelation, I've been wondering why my graphics are worse after returning to the game post-patch 17.*
    I have a new custom built i7 (by Maingear) and a much better graphics card (GTX 970) than before, but my video memory is listed in game at 3000(something) rather than the actual 4096 MB of dedicated GDDR5 that I have (with total available graphics memory at 12257MB).

before I make these changes can you clarify something?

I'm not sure what the line in preferences script is supposed to look like after your suggested change. Is it:
    1. gfx_video_memory -2000;
    or
    2. gfx_video_memory -4000;
    or
    3. gfx_video_memory -2000; or -4000;

Thanks for the clarification! Can't wait to try it out.

*On a separate but related note
    , another thing is that all the ambient dust and atmosphere around the units are gone since patch 17. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I recall EB II looking better than Magnar mod and DeI in the heat of battle. Now rome2 seems to have removed all the atmospheric dust and impact debris that gets kicked up around lots of men moving and fighting. I'm using Enhanced particles mod, Extended particles mod, and SEEM 1.6 (at the advice of Tenerife Boy) but they have very little effect. I can now see a little light dust around units, but just barely -- nothing like the mod's screen shots or what the engine used to produce. I'm hoping your fix above changes this, but if not, do you have other advice for this?
    Hello mate.
    Since you have 4 giga of GPU memory you'll need to put gfx_video_memory -4000;
    and you will be good to go.

This fix it's not about enabling settings, it just enables your full memory.
    For particles I know that CA changes how the work and they are most times broken, but you have to choose extreme or Ultra from your settings for sure. Extended and Enchanted Particles mods I'm pretty sure they are obsolete and SEEM hasn't been updated since Sep of 2015.

Let's see what @Tenerife_Boy has to say about Particles as well.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 04, 2017 at 04:54 PM.

Extended Particles is ready to use with the lastest Rome 2 build.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Is this enough?
    Notes:
    1)It depends on the weather condition/lighting to see the particles more pronounced in some cases than others.
    2)It also counts the terrain, f.e. in the deserts it's way more noticeable than in grassland.
    3)This one is very demanding and I just recomend it for High tier PCs but there's a slightest version for those who can't resist. If anyone can't handle none of both, I recomend you to search for "particles" in the Steam Workshop box and you will find some others, wich hey! it's always better than nothing

Hope this helps

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Enhanced or Extended particle mods are must have stuff, imo. It adds so much atmosphere to the battles. Hard to do without once you get used to it. Extended Particles will definitely hurt performance if your rig isn't high tier. There are other dust mods, but I've never felt that I needed to try them.

Everything worked great, regarding the "gfx_video_memory" fix -and- I now see TONS more dust and battle clouds from the particles mods. Before installing them there was nothing, like a cartoon. After, there were little puffs behind each soldiers feet but it didn't create that lovely haze that lingers, until now.

Glorious haze of battle!

Images don't do it justice, but it's necessary component to a realistic look. All the GEM settings and overclocking in the world can't compensate for it, if it's just not even there to begin with.

Makes the whole experience grittier and more foreboding. Now when men appear on a ridge behind you, through the smoke and chaos of battle, it's hard to tell if they're friend or foe.

As usual, I have to spread rep around before showering it on the helpers involved. I should note, I actually turned the in-game particle effects setting down from Extreme to Ultra too, before units really started kicking up dust. I can't fathom why an engine would work that way, but that may have as much to do with it has the game finally recognizing how much RAM I have. I'll test more and see what settings seem best.

Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the terrible shadows that are present in many of the battle maps?

On another note, I've tried so many different things to get rid of the unit stutter and had no success. I didn't think my CPU (i5 4590) would really be this big of a limit, as others with equal or lesser CPUs have been able to run on same settings with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Extended Particles is ready to use with the lastest Rome 2 build.

Is this enough?
    Notes:
    1)It depends on the weather condition/lighting to see the particles more pronounced in some cases than others.
    2)It also counts the terrain, f.e. in the deserts it's way more noticeable than in grassland.
    3)This one is very demanding and I just recomend it for High tier PCs but there's a slightest version for those who can't resist. If anyone can't handle none of both, I recomend you to search for "particles" in the Steam Workshop box and you will find some others, wich hey! it's always better than nothing

Hope this helps
    That's weird buddy, cause their STEAM pages aren't updated for a looong time. I'm glad they are working for you.
    They haven't worked for me before (they even caused me crashes and CTD before game's start) and I have them removed, I should try again though cause they look really cool. I have quite a few graphical mods though and I will need to investigate more.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Everything worked great, regarding the "gfx_video_memory" fix -and- I now see TONS more dust and battle clouds from the particles mods. Before installing them there was nothing, like a cartoon. After, there were little puffs behind each soldiers feet but it didn't create that lovely haze that lingers, until now.

As usual, I have to spread rep around before showering it on the helpers involved. I should note, I actually turned the in-game particle effects setting down from Extreme to Ultra too, before units really started kicking up dust. I can't fathom why an engine would work that way, but that may have as much to do with it has the game finally recognizing how much RAM I have. I'll test more and see what settings seem best.
    I'm happy everything works for you now mate. Probably it was the memory problem indeed. Enjoy your game.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the terrible shadows that are present in many of the battle maps?

On another note, I've tried so many different things to get rid of the unit stutter and had no success. I didn't think my CPU (i5 4590) would really be this big of a limit, as others with equal or lesser CPUs have been able to run on same settings with no issues.
    Have you tried all the suggestions I have posted to you ??? if not recheck the messages we posted about it and first thing lock your FPS to around 40. If you need more help let me know and we'll try again.
    HDR can't be disabled without GEM or Aztec and as far as I know some maps will always have weird shadows etc.

PS
    Forum hanged and I double posted.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 19, 2019 at 05:48 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

That's weird buddy, cause their STEAM pages aren't updated for a looong time. I'm glad they are working for you.
    They haven't worked for me before (they even caused me crashes and CTD before game's start) and I have them removed, I should try again though cause they look really cool.
    I saw the same thing about last update and questioned Tenerife's sanity, but he does know what he's talking about . If you look at the [Updated] Enhanced Particles page it says: "following the latest patch for Rome II, steam articles in movie format (such as this mod) will see their format, essential to spectate the effects, terminated. Therefore, the mod can only be played through a separate download. The download link can be found on Total War Center."

Currently I have both mods installed -- "Enhanced" and "Extended" both from alternate downloads hosted here on TWC instead of through steam. They don't show in the launcher at all so you have to remember you have them in /data in case you need to remove them -- still, they're working. Or at least one of them is. Going to remove each tonight and see which one is doing the job, or if the effect is indeed better with both.

Have you tried all the suggestions I have posted to you ??? if not recheck the messages we posted about it and first thing lock your FPS to around 40. If you need more help let me know and we'll try again.
    HDR can't be disabled without GEM or Aztec and as far as I know some maps will always have weird shadows etc.

PS
    Forum hanged and I double posted.
    I have tried everything we've discussed and then some. The unit stutter is breaking the game for me at this point. I'll still have 25-30 FPS and get it. Also as mentioned I don't get it with Attila nor Warhammer, despite others saying that they have it.

Odd, as I have GEM but still quite frequently get battle maps where the shadows are very dark (units as well).