Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Sonny WiFiHr's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Why i can't post normally. This site logoff me when I m writing

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny WiFiHr View Post
    Why i can't post normally. This site logoff me when I m writing
    Τry the advanced panel mate. TWC has some really weird loading issues most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    I vote for this being stickied in the main forum.
    Thanks for your support mate...
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 24, 2017 at 08:55 AM.

Uh it was tip how to have better AA

I m saying that you can force AA from radeon / geforce settings. You can force Filtering also. It is recommended method for gaining FPS
    GEM is using to much resources. Another level of postprocesing have cost. 1440 on 4k 1m (40 inch) is not nice. For full 4k I really need UI scaling.

anyone know how to det rid of the darkness when you zoom in on troops

Uh it was tip how to have better AA

I m saying that you can force AA from radeon / geforce settings. You can force Filtering also. It is recommended method for gaining FPS
    GEM is using to much resources. Another level of postprocesing have cost. 1440 on 4k 1m (40 inch) is not nice. For full 4k I really need UI scaling.
    GEM is not heavy at all, since is moddable and you can choose what to use. I could give you my personal settings if you like...
    It is recommended but for games that actually could utilize that process.
    Also If you choose to use GEM with FXAA and a 1440p resolution you'll have only one (not heavy) post processing level. and as A.A is broken in Rome's 2 engine you'll have better results with FXAA for sure. Sadly UI is not moddable in Rome 2.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewKing View Post
    anyone know how to det rid of the darkness when you zoom in on troops
    It's an HDR issue. There is a mod which disables HDR but it's not updated-supported anymore.
    You could use GEM which greatly reduces HDR and is customizable as well.

IMPORTANT
    @To all: I could write-create and upload for you guys a REG. file that would give Rome 2 first priority in your task manager processes automatically every time you run the game.
    In theory it will give access to more resources from your system and utilize more memory if you indeed have it available. So if your system is actually capable for some more FPS it will help you.
    It works with various games l have tested like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Possibly it'll work with Rome 2 as well.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 24, 2017 at 10:29 AM.

Guys im saying just give CPU/GPU time to process. Limit the frame rate. Performance spikes hurts. You all can play on 30 Hz- try that first. This is heavy scripted game. So how "fast" script triggers and when it fires - matters. There is budget for scripts -bottleneck this = stuttering.
    Can't find that budget in preferences.
    If someone has stumble on it - it can be tweaked - REMEMBER THE SKYRIM.

About AA use your graphic card AA. Disable game AA use radeon/geforce AA it will work better. Go to settings (card settings) and create profile for game. Im still using 4x-8x AA but it works and looks better. I have 4k monitor 1m diagonale. Im forced to play on 1440p and it looks like without AA. So this is my workaround
    Now I tryed my old radeon R9 380 and I can play on 1440p. Did not noticed any change except this card is quite stressed on those settings but I can play on extreme with most settings. No overclocking in this test.
    When you say limit to 30Hz do you mean limit to 30 FPS? How do I do this?

EDIT:

I find that I get stuttering even when not going below 30 FPS, it's odd because I get better FPS in RII than Attila or Warhammer, but when I dip below 20's in FPS in Attila and Warhammer I don't get such bad stuttering like in RII. If anybody can help me to get rid of this stuttering I would be very greateful.

CPU usage is at 100% (one of the cores at least) in all of these titles except for Attila as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    GEM is not heavy at all, since is moddable and you can choose what to use. I could give you my personal settings if you like...
    It is recommended but for games that actually could utilize that process.
    Also If you choose to use GEM with FXAA and a 1440p resolution you'll have only one (not heavy) post processing level. and as A.A is broken in Rome's 2 engine you'll have better results with FXAA for sure. Sadly UI is not moddable in Rome 2.

It's an HDR issue. There is a mod which disables HDR but it's not updated-supported anymore.
    You could use GEM which greatly reduces HDR and is customizable as well.

IMPORTANT
    @To all: I could write-create and upload for you guys a REG. file that would give Rome 2 first priority in your task manager processes automatically every time you run the game.
    In theory it will give access to more resources from your system and utilize more memory if you indeed have it available. So if your system is actually capable for some more FPS it will help you.
    It works with various games l have tested like Witcher 3 and Fallout 4. Possibly it'll work with Rome 2 as well.
    That would be appreciated. In windows 10 I cannot find out how to alt tab and do this....in the task manager when I right lcick on RII I never see this option anyhow...?
    Last edited by bthizle1; March 24, 2017 at 01:15 PM.

Thank you for the information regarding CPU bottlenecking. I do not get the sudden stutters anymore, but I'm always looking to improve it further. I confess I find the subject quite confusing, but this is most helpful.
    I have applied an overclock to the i7-4790k (4.5GHZ) and a small one to the GTX 1070 (+26MHZ base clock).

Would you say this is a reasonably balanced setup, or, would you recommend only overclocking the CPU; i.e., could the 1070 bottleneck the CPU?
    Currently, I'm playing on 1920x1080, with GEM (basic realistic shader) and core graphics settings all on 'Very High.' Apart from shadows, are there any other settings that you would recommend fine tuning?
    Finally, I already use a piece of software called Process Lasso, but this does not close system processes. Do you just blanket close background processes before stating a game, or use a third party software to do this?

Anyways, thanks again Greek Strategos, its much appreciated.

@bthizle

background process killer or whatever they call it
    Turbo boost?
    Try with these programs.
    Every your soldier have to pathfind , trigger animation etc .With 100% CPU usage you have to wait process to finish that than next process etc. Sieges are screwed even for powerfull CPU -s.
    30 Hz will ease these spikes. Sudden drop from 60 to 15 Hz is noticable stuttering. You actually need more flat line. That is only reason to limit refresh rate. 30 Hz FPS is not mandatory go 30 - 144 but it is lowest Hz I can recomend

@Greek Strategos
    I used GEM forgot to update it and I was locked in Fantasy settings. Could not turn off it. Im fine now with 4x MSAA.
    Best of all they put trilinear filtering as default (or I change it - can't remember) and I was playing with it.
    Did not even noticed that.
    Where is that (not light) beer?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Sonny WiFiHr; March 24, 2017 at 02:24 PM.

Is the minimum setting for Shadows, Particles etc to be gpu-processed 'Very High' or 'Ultra'? I remember it being "the highest two" but that may have been before Extreme was added.

Quote Originally Posted by bthizle1 View Post
    When you say limit to 30Hz do you mean limit to 30 FPS? How do I do this?

EDIT:

I find that I get stuttering even when not going below 30 FPS, it's odd because I get better FPS in RII than Attila or Warhammer, but when I dip below 20's in FPS in Attila and Warhammer I don't get such bad stuttering like in RII. If anybody can help me to get rid of this stuttering I would be very greateful.

CPU usage is at 100% (one of the cores at least) in all of these titles except for Attila as well.
    Stuttering is mostly caused by CPU Bottleneck and when you have 100% CPU usage it means your CPU is chocking. Please take a look to the other comments I have done above for extra info. Till I compile the Full list of Tips and Tricks.

That would be appreciated. In windows 10 I cannot find out how to alt tab and do this....in the task manager when I right lcick on RII I never see this option anyhow...?
    Sure.If other people are interested as well I'll upload it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    Thank you for the information regarding CPU bottlenecking. I do not get the sudden stutters anymore, but I'm always looking to improve it further. I confess I find the subject quite confusing, but this is most helpful.
    I have applied an overclock to the i7-4790k (4.5GHZ) and a small one to the GTX 1070 (+26MHZ base clock).

Would you say this is a reasonably balanced setup, or, would you recommend only overclocking the CPU; i.e., could the 1070 bottleneck the CPU?
    Currently, I'm playing on 1920x1080, with GEM (basic realistic shader) and core graphics settings all on 'Very High.' Apart from shadows, are there any other settings that you would recommend fine tuning?
    Finally, I already use a piece of software called Process Lasso, but this does not close system processes. Do you just blanket close background processes before stating a game, or use a third party software to do this?

Anyways, thanks again Greek Strategos, its much appreciated.
    Glad to be of assistance mate.
    Since your CPU has a stable 4.5ghz you're good to go with any GPU O.C In fact you could squeeze the 1070 a bit more.
    Please adjust shadows to very high or even higher you should have some fps boost since the rendering will go the GPU.
    You could use SmartClose which is very easy to handle.If you need any help about it just let me know.

@Greek Strategos
    I used GEM forgot to update it and I was locked in Fantasy settings. Could not turn off it. Im fine now with 4x MSAA.
    Best of all they put trilinear filtering as default (or I change it - can't remember) and I was playing with it.
    Cheers
    I was sure something like that was the culprit mate. I'm glad I have helped you.
    Thanks for the cyber beer (never light)

Quote Originally Posted by Kolaris8472 View Post
    Is the minimum setting for Shadows, Particles etc to be gpu-processed 'Very High' or 'Ultra'? I remember it being "the highest two" but that may have been before Extreme was added.
    From very high and above. Ultra will be ideal if your GPU can handle it.

@bthizle

background process killer or whatever they call it
    Turbo boost?
    Try with these programs.
    Every your soldier have to pathfind , trigger animation etc .With 100% CPU usage you have to wait process to finish that than next process etc. Sieges are screwed even for powerfull CPU -s.
    30 Hz will ease these spikes. Sudden drop from 60 to 15 Hz is noticable stuttering. You actually need more flat line. That is only reason to limit refresh rate. 30 Hz FPS is not mandatory go 30 - 144 but it is lowest Hz I can recomend

@Greek Strategos
    Cheers
    Right, but how do I lower the Hz to 30? Do I have to lower the Hz of the monitor somehow? If so how? Or are you refering to just limiting the max FPS at 30?

Right, but how do I lower the Hz to 30? Do I have to lower the Hz of the monitor somehow? If so how? Or are you refering to just limiting the max FPS at 30?
    30FPS is not a bad number for a strategy game but it will not the be best experience. Trey limiting the FPS to 40 but before that check my other comments above. They will help you.
    No not the hz of your screen. Never touch that.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 24, 2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    30FPS is not a bad number for a strategy game but it will not the be best experience. Trey limiting the FPS to 40 but before that check my other comments above. They will help you.
    No not the hz of your screen. Never touch that.
    So then by 30Hz he was continually refering to capping the FPS? I would need another program to do this is TW...right?

So then by 30Hz he was continually refering to capping the FPS? I would need another program to do this is TW...right?
    I'm not sure if he was talking only for FPS. But I'm sure that it's better not to play with your monitor's hz.
    You can use many programs like Afterburner,GPUTWEAK, Various FPS limiters like DXTORY etc

Yes FPS . It is done in default graphic card settings. Open graphic card panel. If people have trouble run benchmark. There is pronaunced spike there. Limit your fps until is more flattened.

Yes FPS . It is done in default graphic card settings. Open graphic card panel. If people have trouble run benchmark. There is pronaunced spike there. Limit your fps until is more flattened.
    You can do it from your card's panel indeed. But I suggested DXTORY since it's very easy to handle (also it has many useful characteristics) and it runs specifically for the exe. you want, not for any game.

Yes it made Skyrim playable for many users. Stuttering gives headache . Most games have 30Hz option

Thanks for this thread, Greek strategos! And thanks to everyone who's contributing, it's full of very interesting advices here! And, Greek strategos, that REG file to prioritize Rome2 process would be really welcomed! By the way do I get a similar effect by using Smart Close?

Yes it made Skyrim playable for many users. Stuttering gives headache . Most games have 30Hz option
    Yeah it was a lifesaver for me too. Most newer games, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Centurion View Post
    Thanks for this thread, Greek strategos! And thanks to everyone who's contributing, it's full of very interesting advices here! And, Greek strategos, that REG file to prioritize Rome2 process would be really welcomed! By the way do I get a similar effect by using Smart Close?
    No problem buddy.
    Smartclose temporary disables your unused applications or the ones that you direct it to close for any reason. It also makes backups (an image actually) of your applications and restore them if you like.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; March 24, 2017 at 07:58 PM.

1. I disabled AA in Rome 2, but whenever I do that my GEM wouldn't work. It only works when the in-game AA is on. Why does this happen?

2. I looked for the vsync option in my nvidia panel, but it only has "on" and "off" options, while the typical usage scenarios clearly shows "adaptive" and "smooth" options. Do I have to lock fps in other way?