Page 10 of 52 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Greek strategos, I just wanted to thank you for your continued work and support by doing this thread. I added you as a support member of the DeI team in our mod credits. Thanks again for being so helpful.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnicleBill1 View Post
    Hello,
    Recently my desktop died, so sad. But, it has given me the chance buy a new one. However, even though I understand desktops are far better value for money I will have to buy a laptop instead due to my living situation for the next few years. I've done a fair amount of research so far, and have come to focus on either one with the gtx 1060 and i7-7700hq or gtx 1070 with i7-7700hq. The main question I have is whether it would be worth spending the extra $135 on getting the i7-78** instead.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Hey mate.
    What's your game preferences ??? What other applications you usually run ???
    You could send me a list with the laptop models you have found and we could take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Greek strategos, I just wanted to thank you for your continued work and support by doing this thread. I added you as a support member of the DeI team in our mod credits. Thanks again for being so helpful.
    Υou are too kind mate. You know, as I have said many times if it wasn't for you,KAM and the rest of DEI team, I would have probably dropped Rome 2.
    It's my pleasure to help you. I feel honored to be part of such a great team as a support member and I will do my best to help you around.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 23, 2017 at 04:53 PM.

BarnicleBill1's Avatar Centenarius

I play mainly total war, or other simulation or strategy (ie Stellaris, Civ, Europa Universalis) and also some rpgs, Witcher and the like. Other than that I have lots of papers I have to write and space gets taken up fast. In general beyond gaming I just need a fast and storage heavy laptop. I'll get together a list of the ones I've found and get that to you. Thanks a lot!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hi!
    I have been having a important question, I have been playing with a "big" size of units despite of having a PC very much better than the requeriments required (Nvidia 1070GTX, 16gB RAM....).
    The problem is that if I choose the "ultra" size when I play a larger battle (over 40 units and 15.000-16.000 men) the game starts stuttering. I have read a lot of people playing in ultra size.
    Where I can play in ultra without stuttering? Or people when play in ultra Assume stuttering in big battles?
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by El.Dedo View Post
    Hi!
    I have been having a important question, I have been playing with a "big" size of units despite of having a PC very much better than the requeriments required (Nvidia 1070GTX, 16gB RAM....).
    The problem is that if I choose the "ultra" size when I play a larger battle (over 40 units and 15.000-16.000 men) the game starts stuttering. I have read a lot of people playing in ultra size.
    Where I can play in ultra without stuttering? Or people when play in ultra Assume stuttering in big battles?
    Thank you very much.
    Welcome...
    Please read the opening post and the firsts pages of the thread, then you should have a first general idea of the engine and the game.
    For more info-help etc just let me know and I'll try to assist you later today.

@Greek Strategos. Thanks again for the info. I'll keep the 4.5GHZ, as temps are stable.
    @Vardano. I'm a little envious of that chip my friend ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by charlieh View Post
    @Greek Strategos. Thanks again for the info. I'll keep the 4.5GHZ, as temps are stable.
    Yeap it's usually the ideal solution, due to nice OC extra power, relatively low temps and consumption.

@Greek Strategos

Which graphic settings affect the display of fire?
    My pc runs every other thing well, but when it comes to fire arrows + a blob of troops, it struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by k966 View Post
    @Greek Strategos

Which graphic settings affect the display of fire?
    My pc runs every other thing well, but when it comes to fire arrows + a blob of troops, it struggles.
    I'm pretty sure it's the particle setting like smoke,fire etc

Hey, I noticed that I didn't have units set to the maximum and have for example 192 pikes instead of 256 for which it takes citizens. I changed it to ultra in the options, but it stayed the same. Is it possible to change it in ongoing game?

Quote Originally Posted by Redrumovy View Post
    Hey, I noticed that I didn't have units set to the maximum and have for example 192 pikes instead of 256 for which it takes citizens. I changed it to ultra in the options, but it stayed the same. Is it possible to change it in ongoing game?
    I'm sorry mate..You'll need to start a new game.

@Greek Strategos - Liking the new title, 'Chief Of Beards.'

How's the new setup going? I know you have recently just built one?

On a more serious note, I've always had the urge to play on 'Ultra' unit settings, but, have been put off by the concern of performance in battles where multiple armies meet. The rig I'm using is ok, (i7-4790k @ 4.56GHZ, 16GB RAM @ 1800MHz, GTX 1080, SSD), and I'm slightly conservative with the settings (all on 'very high' with no real extra effects, apart from a basic realistic shader, via GEM), but, I get the impression that once battles start getting past the 15,000 men mark, its going to struggle, no matter what. Are you, and others, able to maintain a reasonable framerate in such battles?

All best mate and thanks for the support :-)

No, total war always got strugglings from +7000 and +15000 the engine can not handle the shades, expect fps drops but nothing gamebreaking

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

I've had 15 000 vs 15 000 (roughly, using the 41-units per army modification) on very high settings with GEM getting quite reasonable fps rates in land battles. Even streaming for friends via Steams built in streaming function still gives reasonable amounts of fps.

Stuff starts to get choppy in sieges, because the weak engine is trying to calculate path-finding for so many units when the AI blobs to try to climb up ladders or storm the burned gate.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Thanks Ygraine and Tenerife. I think I will stick to the 'large' unit size....for now. I estimate also that, on 'ultra' unit sizes, the collision detection issue(s), on walls, is exacerbated; though I have not tested this.

Or just get a better new PC so it runs really smooth.

@Greek Strategos - Liking the new title, 'Chief Of Beards.'
    How's the new setup going? I know you have recently just built one?
    Haha thank you buddy.
    The new setup is just dreamy and I really love it. My girl is jealous though
    I managed to find the ideal settings for my setup and now I can play it with a solid 1080p 60fps ultra settings and some really good modifications.
    The 7700K 4.8-5ghz and the 1070 STRIX with an OC at 2000mhz Clock speed and 10000mhz memory (yes it's really easy with STRIX version) made the difference.
    I recently started using this mod (recommended from my bro @Tenerife_Boy) and though it's heavy it's a game-changing experience for me. Increased LOD for units,permanent arrows,no unit fading etc

On a more serious note, I've always had the urge to play on 'Ultra' unit settings, but, have been put off by the concern of performance in battles where multiple armies meet. The rig I'm using is ok, (i7-4790k @ 4.56GHZ, 16GB RAM @ 1800MHz, GTX 1080, SSD), and I'm slightly conservative with the settings (all on 'very high' with no real extra effects, apart from a basic realistic shader, via GEM), but, I get the impression that once battles start getting past the 15,000 men mark, its going to struggle, no matter what. Are you, and others, able to maintain a reasonable framerate in such battles?

All best mate and thanks for the support :-)
    Your pc is pretty good and could handle most games at 60fps, but Rome 2 as we have said is another matter.
    An engine limitation-bug mostly brakes the use of ultra-extreme settings when more particle-units are in the battle map.
    You could try different combinations of settings and play-test with them but when more than 10K-15K of units are colliding in the battle map your fps will suffer greatly and that's a fact.
    FPS playable values are different for everyone but for me anything under 30fps isn't enjoyable. With ultra settings and modifications I have locked my fps around 50-60 even with Ultra units but with 10vs10 armies (I never play bigger battles).

Just try the tips I have posted and other people are suggesting in our thread and let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rigaddict View Post
    Or just get a better new PC so it runs really smooth.
    Welcome.
    Yes he could but that's not the issue as his PC is pretty good.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 29, 2017 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks Greek Strategos. I'll look into testing different combinations; perhaps dropping the water setting first. I generally test how FPS holds up on the Carthage Historical Map, as its seems to push the system. I go by the basis of, if the lowest FPS is acceptable (in my preference, 30-40), then its a pass. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the performance at present, thanks to this thread.

Thats a rig I'm not going to argue with mate; I'd be jealous too....wait, I am jealous!

Take it easy.

Thanks Greek Strategos. I'll look into testing different combinations; perhaps dropping the water setting first. I generally test how FPS holds up on the Carthage Historical Map, as its seems to push the system. I go by the basis of, if the lowest FPS is acceptable (in my preference, 30-40), then its a pass. Overall, I'm quite pleased with the performance at present, thanks to this thread.

Thats a rig I'm not going to argue with mate; I'd be jealous too....wait, I am jealous!

Take it easy.
    Your built is more than enough, but when you're ready to gain a bit more juice from your system let me know and we could try a little OC, for both your cpu and gpu. You have and 1080gtx right ??? which model ???

Glad to be of help mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek strategos View Post
    I recently started using this mod (recommended from my bro @Tenerife_Boy) and though it's heavy it's a game-changing experience for me. Increased LOD for units,permanent arrows,no unit fading etc
    You succeed finally ? ))) wilign to see your screenies on Steam bro !