Page 44 of 52 FirstFirst ... 1934353637383940414243444546474849505152 LastLast

Thread: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Rome II is limited to 4gb of ram, so yes there is always a hard limit.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [Support] Tech-Hardware: Tips and Tricks for a better DEI experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Smicarus View Post
    I think with the Rome 2 engine there's a threshold on battle size that once you cross, will always result in fps loss, regardless of hardware. I have an i7 8700k as well as a 1080 and still get a noticeable, though perfectly tolerable decrease in performance once you get 3 or 4 full stacks involved. If you want to have a silky smooth 60fps at all times in all situations, I don't think the newer total war games are really capable of this when maxed out and using large unit scales like DEI.

CPU is more important than GPU with this game though, to answer your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Rome II is limited to 4gb of ram, so yes there is always a hard limit.
    Yeap, you're both correct

Quote Originally Posted by ltsweeting View Post
    Thinking of upgrading my computer soon. All my hardware except my GPU (GTX 770) is 9 years old now. My question is basically this: Is it actually possible to have a virtually maxed out Rome II with little or no FPS drops when there are large scale battles going on (20v30 or 20v40 for example). I know the game was poorly optimized on launch at least but I'm not sure if this has been fixed or GPUs and CPUs are strong enough now to overcome the optimization with their raw power.

Also which has a greater factor in preventing the FPS drops in aforementioned large battles: GPU or CPU? Any quick tips on which GPUs and CPUs I should go for would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    You can check the OP and the first pages of this thread for various ways to squeeze as much fps as possible. But even with top-tier hardware (I have even tested the game with 1080ti SLI and 9900K for benches), Rome's 2 optimization is bad.
    3K though is much more optimized and evidently taking advantage of our more powerful hardware.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; June 24, 2019 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    Yeap, you're both correct

You can check the OP and the first pages of this thread for various ways to squeeze as much fps as possible. But even with top-tier hardware (I have even tested the game with 1080ti SLI and 9900K for benches), Rome's 2 optimization is bad.
    3K though is much more optimized and evidently taking advantage of our more powerful hardware.
    Yeah Rome 2 has a bad optimitzation but i can play vanilla or mods like War of the Gods+GEM with the high preset with no problems but DEI gives me problems with everything on low but large unit size. DEI is much more demanding.

Quote Originally Posted by IamOdysseus View Post
    Yeah Rome 2 has a bad optimitzation but i can play vanilla or mods like War of the Gods+GEM with the high preset with no problems but DEI gives me problems with everything on low but large unit size. DEI is much more demanding.
    Sadly yes, due to increased unit details and variations. You can lower it a bit though, so to increase your fps when using Ultra unit size or just use smaller size when playing DEI.

Sadly yes, due to increased unit details and variations. You can lower it a bit though, so to increase your fps when using Ultra unit size or just use smaller size when playing DEI.
    Yeah this is the unique concern of DEI. The rest of things are simply the best TW experience. I have to reduce unit size because it struggles even with low unit details (which they look nice even in low compared to high vanilla).

Yeah this is the unique concern of DEI. The rest of things are simply the best TW experience. I have to reduce unit size because it struggles even with low unit details (which they look nice even in low compared to high vanilla).
    By reducing the unit detail (not size) you'll get a healthy increase of FPS without any visual degradation btw.

I can with confidence recommend submod Performance maker for massive battles. I've tested it along with Larger Battlefields. They both work like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by DC0 View Post
    I can with confidence recommend submod Performance maker for massive battles. I've tested it along with Larger Battlefields. They both work like a charm.
    I can't recommend it cause I haven't checked it. You should be careful with such mods though,most of the time their changes are ''baked'' into your graphical settings plus always be careful with any ''under the hood'' changes.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

I can't recommend it cause I haven't checked it. You should be careful with such mods though,most of the time their changes are ''baked'' into your graphical settings plus always be careful with any ''under the hood'' changes.
    And how does "New LOD ranges should now help to render more units during huge battles" help people with performance issues during large battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    And how does "New LOD ranges should now help to render more units during huge battles" help people with performance issues during large battles?
    They probably don't. But I'll have more info after a thorough test

Hi guys I’m wondering if you can help me with a problem I’ve experienced on my campaign. I’m playing as Rome and during my huge war with Carthage they attacked my two full stack legions with their two full stack armies with one using transports from sea and the other on land however during the battle the frame rate drops dramatically to 5-9fps and it’s unplayable and I’ve never experienced this before playing this campaign. Problem is this is a very important and decisive battle in this war and I can’t auto it as my casualties are massive and I need to the troops to push into their territory. Is there anything I can do to fix this weird FPS drops? I have a gigabyte aero 15x gaming laptop
    RTX2060
    I7 9750h cpu
    16gb ram

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Welcome to TWC, E.davies95!

I haven't played R2TW for a long time, but using a lower graphics setting usually help to increase the FPS. Try that.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by E.davies95 View Post
    Hi guys I’m wondering if you can help me with a problem I’ve experienced on my campaign. I’m playing as Rome and during my huge war with Carthage they attacked my two full stack legions with their two full stack armies with one using transports from sea and the other on land however during the battle the frame rate drops dramatically to 5-9fps and it’s unplayable and I’ve never experienced this before playing this campaign. Problem is this is a very important and decisive battle in this war and I can’t auto it as my casualties are massive and I need to the troops to push into their territory. Is there anything I can do to fix this weird FPS drops? I have a gigabyte aero 15x gaming laptop
    RTX2060
    I7 9750h cpu
    16gb ram
    I would like to welcome you as well

Now about your question. You can check the opening post here and that will solve some of your FPS issues. Other than that, feel free to roam through the pages of our Tech's thread and you will certainly find much useful info and answers. Be aware that the game's engine isn't optimized for such numbers and as a result, you'll always have extremely low FPS with above 2 stack armies no matter your hardware.

Cheers Leonardo man I’m glad to be here and it’s nothing like settings I’m afraid it’s big spikes from 50-60 frames to literally 1-5 every few seconds when I move the camera it’s so frustrating and unplayable

I’ve gone through the lot and also done the steps in the first page but to no avail it’s still happening. However I’ll be trying a few other battles to see if it’s just this one as maybe It’s something I’ve done rather than the battle itself
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 19, 2019 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Cheers Leonardo man I’m glad to be here and it’s nothing like settings I’m afraid it’s big spikes from 50-60 frames to literally 1-5 every few seconds when I move the camera it’s so frustrating and unplayable

I’ve gone through the lot and also done the steps in the first page but to no avail it’s still happening. However I’ll be trying a few other battles to see if it’s just this one as maybe It’s something I’ve done rather than the battle itself
    1) Are you using the latest version of Rome 2 and the newest DEI's update?
    2) Are you using STEAM's DEI pack files or Forum's?
    3) Try a clean install of Rome 2 and make sure to do step 6 from the OP with a completely free of other mods Data folder.
    4) Are you using Win 10?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 19, 2019 at 06:02 AM.

1. Yes I’m using all the latest versions
    2. Steam version
    3. I did do step 6 but it didn’t work but I haven’t clean installed it do I just uninstall it from steam then install it again?
    4. Yes windows 10 lates 1903 update

Hi Greek Strategos I did some tests with settings and tried custom battles with Only 2 stacks and unfortunately it’s what I feared it’s every battle it’s doing it in now every single battle doesn’t matter how big or small
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 20, 2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

@E.davies: Not sure if this helps, but would forcing the CPU to always run at 4.5GHZ help? Looking at the technical specs of the i7-9750H, its base frequency and max boost are significantly different (2.6GHZ-4.5GHZ). Perhaps, the CPU is having difficulty scaling its output, in relation to the demands placed upon it.

Didn’t know it could get higher as mine goes at 4ghz and never goes higher in the task manager how would I get it to run faster than 4ghz?

Greek strategos I reinstalled the game and it’s working fine again but I do have a question on how to get over 30 FPS during big battles with very high settings so what’s the best settings to use? Thank you very much for your help so far you guys a brilliant and this mod is the best around
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 22, 2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Didn’t know it could get higher as mine goes at 4ghz and never goes higher in the task manager how would I get it to run faster than 4ghz?

Greek strategos I reinstalled the game and it’s working fine again but I do have a question on how to get over 30 FPS during big battles with very high settings so what’s the best settings to use? Thank you very much for your help so far you guys a brilliant and this mod is the best around
    You can go to Power Options and choose Ultimate performance. That would give you the maximum ''horsepower'' with default settings. I wouldn't advise and OC at this point since it's a more complicated procedure for starters.
    Now about stable FPS during bigger battles, you can follow the various suggestions from here or start lowering the more demanding settings like shadows, Anti Aliasing, Unit details, texture quality, particles, etc
    Sorry, but I can't be more thorough atm since my time is limited. But I'll get back to you later with more details (if needed).

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    Easy. It makes graphics really primitive in all zoom levels except for the most closest.