Thread: Imperator Augaustus Campaign - Army range discrepancy

Default Imperator Augaustus Campaign - Army range discrepancy

I started a imperator augustus campaign recently as Marcus. Beside the fact i am being steamrolled by Lepidus down in Iberia with their stack of elite soldiers, and Octavius sailing the mare internum with a full fleet stack and picking whatever settlement is undefended, the thing that makes it extremely difficult for me to maneuver is the fact the AI seems to have at least double, if not close to tripple my campaign movement range.

My whole budget is being thrown at generating units being slaughtered by Lepidus now who aptly avoids any double or tripple stacks i try to maneuver with 2x the range, while my land army around Carthage needs 8 turns to maneuver to wherever it needs to be to react to fleets. Raising a full fleet for myself to counter at sea would mean Lepidus would steamroll without resistance down Iberia.

Am i missing something here? Why is my campaign movement just a fraction of the AI? I have inspected the AI army and it doesnt seem to have 300% bonus to movement.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Default Re: Imperator Augaustus Campaign - Army range discrepancy

There are many factors dictating how far your armies can move, most obvious other than terrain and weather, are the commanding general's traits and ancillaries, and any attached agents - both spies and champions increase army movement range as basic bonuses. You could have drastically different movement ranges from these upgrades. The AI does rank up its characters, and also does attach agents....

What the AI does not do is protect armies at sea with its fleets. It might by chance, but will never attach a fleet to a transport army. As a result, you could destroy a huge army at sea, with only a few good ships. It takes micro-managing and playing out the sea battle carefully, but it's easier to manage than previous releases. Just ram and maneuver and you'll sink whole stacks with just 8 good ships, or at least cause catastrophic loses for them.

Other than that, if you're not playing on Normal settings, your game could be totally out of balance. not sure what movement rates are affected, but it's not recommended to play on above "normal" difficulty levels, all that does is imbalance everything.