Thread: [Ongoing] The Hellespontine War

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Default [Ongoing] The Hellespontine War

music
    Theatre

The region of Bithynia

Combatents

Lysimachus (War leader)
    Polyperchon (only against Bithynia for now)
    Chalcedon

vs

Antigonus(War leader)
    Bithynia (only against Chalcedon)

Factions involved:
    Antigonus
    Polyperchon
    Bithynia (Zipoetes)
    Chalcedon Rebels

321-
    In January, Zipoetes I of Bithynia began his siege of the Greek rebels in Chalcedon. Their situation was one of peril, and, without outside help, their chances of victory against the young barbaroi King were slim. The opportunity presented itself for a nearby satrap to send aid...

Antigonus, whose eyes had been set upon his northern neighbor for some time, decided the time for Macedonian involvement had come. After writing to the regent about his potential interference, Antigonus began his march north from the city of Sardis. Amassing the largest Hellenic army of any current satrap, Antigonus hoped to rally the Greek rebels to his cause and knock the ambitious young Bithynian King down a notch.

Negotiating a peace with Bithynia, Antigonus declared war upon Lysimachus and Polyperchon

The Antigonid army begins their march through Ipsus

Last edited by Rebel Jeb; March 26, 2017 at 04:32 PM.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Default Re: [Ongoing] The Second Macedonian-Bithynian War

A letter from Antigonus to the head of the Greek rebels
    Your calls for justice and independence have been heard!
    I march this very day with an army numbering around twenty thousand of the most battle-hardened soldiers. Zipoetes will see what a true Hellenic force led by a general with thirty years of experience against his barbarian kind feels like. The boy is ambitious, but his inferior predisposition and greed will unfortunately be his demise.
    Hold out for merely a few weeks longer. Will you work with me in disposing Zipoetes from his throne?

Antigonus

A letter from Antigonus to Zipoetes
    I march to the aid of the Chalcedon rebels. I demand that you end your siege and come in person or through a representative to discuss the future ruling of Bithynia. Failure to adhere to my demands will result in my force moving into the region with the intent to write the lines of history to include your reign as the shortest in Bithynian history.

I believe an arrangement can be struck that would stabilize the region and better the positions of both of us.

Antigonus
    Last edited by Rebel Jeb; March 20, 2017 at 04:39 PM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

A letter arrives to the city of Chalcedon, from the west

To the Chalkedones,

Hellenes, I plead with you not to sally forth from your city and hold out until the forces of the Hellenic League arrive to support you. As you are sons and daughters of Megara in Corinthia, know that the Hellenic League's heart in Corinthia has your independent interests at heart. Do not be swayed by the words of the Anatolian satraps - their motives are ulterior.

I write to you, yes, as the son of a man who has been given a written claim to conquer the kingdom you live in. However, our only interests at this time are stability in the region and the protection of you, fair Chalkedones, true Hellenes. Hold your position, and I, Alexandros of Tymphaia, of the Polyperchonidai, shall soon arrive with some six thousand men - at least - and supplies to hold you fast. Some mere weeks, and you shall be protected by the Hellenic League and the Regent of Makedonia.

Alexandros Polyperchonides

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

From the shore the the white sails of Lysimachus fleet could be seen, and from the front the flagship a great banner bearing the Argead Sun. The terror of the known world, the relentless war machine of the Macedonians had come to their shores

The bithynian admiral turned to King Zipeotoes in a panic
    "Your grace we cannot maintain the blockade for longer the rest of their fleet will arrive very soon."

The young king clenched his his fists in impotent rage.

"We can do little against such vultures, Denzibalos.

There is one course of action, a strategic withdrawal. We must return both the fleet and army to Astacus. A loss cannot be afforded here, not now. Let them have this small victory. We shall crush the arrogant Antigonus first."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In Chalcedon~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As the citizens of Chalcedon see the Bithynian forces break the siege, celebrations erupt in the city. The chain across the harbor is lowered and the thracian fleet is allowed to dock. Throngs of people young and old come to hail their liberators. The ruling elders approach give a message to be sent back across the strait to Lysimichea to where the armies are preparing to launch;

"The people of Chalcedon are indebted to Alexandros Polyperchonides! We have not much to offer you when you arrive, however we have one question, shall we purse the bithynians to their heartland and support Antigonus or wait for your arrival?"

Effects
    --The Bithynian Fleet withdraws rather than fight (rolled), all armies withdraw to Astacus to attack Antigonus
    --Chalcedonians consider Polyperchon/Lysimachus their liberator rather than Antigonus

^to clarify these moves happened immediatly upon the macedonians declaring war
    Last edited by Aetius; March 21, 2017 at 03:21 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Bread and Wine

The fleet carries with it supplies, unloading stores of bread and dried meat to gift to the beleaguered Greeks of the city. An orator stands proud in the agora, delivering a message to those that now viewed Lysimachus and Alexandros as saviors. Fellow Greeks, my dear friends! He cries, even as the crowd cheers and all around people gorge themselves. We have come to assert rightful dominion over Bithynia! As decreed by the new partition, these lands of Bithynia belong to Polyperchon, dear friend of Lysimachus! He smiled widely. Antiginous, in his kindness, has come to aid Polyperchon in clearing these lands of Ziopates and his ilk, such is his dedication to the laws of this empire. Such a selfless act should not go without adoration, my friends. But now we must look to the fields of battle, soon this fleet that brought you succor shall bring men at arms, and together we will liberate this land!

ooc: since that bs forced me to apply human pvp rules to the npc and cancel the ambush, this is what happens instead not writing anything fancy;

Bithynian army is as such, no whines, they had plenty of time to do this at any point in the game:

Royal Army @Bithynion - he is recruiting troops that will be ready by next year
    Zipeotes
    20 Thracian Peltasts
    20 Thracian Cavalry
    20 Hoplites
    10 Eastern Levies
    10 Eastern Axemen
    10Thracian Warband
    16Psiloi

Amastris, an ally has sent 2600 troops in support @ Bithynion
    4 x Eastern Light Cavalry
    3 x Psiloi
    3 x Eastern Axemen
    3 x Eastern Levies

Garrison of Nicomedia/Astacus - under siege by Antigonus - will never starve out because its port is open
    10 Eastern Levies
    10 Eastern Axemen
    10 Thracian Warband
    16 Psiloi
    Last edited by Aetius; March 21, 2017 at 08:26 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

The Siege of Astacus

The Antigonid camp was situated in the hills outside of the city of Astacus. In the generals' tent, Antigonus spoke plainly with Cylos, the famous siege engineer that had been in the satrap's retinue for over a year now.

"Certainly, it can be done. Their numbers are few, and their men are ill trained. The equipment that could be constructed would be unlike any they have ever seen..."

Young Demetrius, eager to put his own designs into action, slammed his hands upon the table in excitement. "Easily, father, easily."

Cylos shook his head in disagreement. "We would receive losses, certainly. Our forces consist mostly of cavalry, which are not suited for this strategy."

A messenger, not much older than Demetrius, rushed into the tent. "General Antigonus, a message! The Chalcedon rebels have officially declared themselves on the side of Lysimachus and Polyperchon. It is their intent to hold the city and wait for you to fight against Zipoetes."

Antigonus frowned. He was not a handsome man even when smiling, but the disgust was multiplied on such an aged and scarred face. "Wonderful. Such courageous men, wanting an old one-eyed man to fight their battle for them." He paused. "I think not. Boy, bring me parchment and a pen." And, as requested, such materials were brought. "Zipoetes is a barbarian, but he is not a fool. There is much to be gained together." He turned to the old engineer, and his rather foreboding smile returned. "Cylos, I regret to inform you that your skills will not be needed today. Not yet, at least."

The letter was sent to Zipoetes I, and it read the following:

Zipoetes, Ruler of Bithynia,

The secrecy of this letter must be protected, for the contents are significant enough to change the course of history. We are men of different stock, but I feel that our bravery rivals one another. We can both agree that the factions situated in Chalcedon do not meet such criteria.

You are an ambitious ruler that I know keeps up with matters of State. As such, I am sure you know that the rivalry between Lysimachus and I runs deep. There is no respect between us. He is my enemy, not you, and I feel we can come together to challenge him.

Let us form a union that will last for centuries. I offer you the hand of my youngest daughter, Stratonice. She is a timid girl, but her beauty is unrivaled among women on this side of the Aegean. She took after her mother, of course. She is not much younger than you, and you two would be able to enjoy yourselves for many long years to come. As your father-in-law, I can teach you much about the matters of governance and war. When I pass, as all men do, you will be able to work alongside my son Demetrius. The royal wedding will be one for the ages. I am sure you have heard of the richness of celebrations among my people. This will be no different.

In return, you will cede the lands of Astacus (Nicomedia) and Bithynion to my satrap. Furthermore, 150 talents per turn will be paid. However, I will provide you assistance through a variety of avenues. Firstly, I will assist in your rebellion. Chalcedon will be yours again with my help. My army, as your scouts have likely told you, is unrivaled in the region. My protection will not end there. Your lands will remain under my protection for many years to come, and never again will threats and harm come to your land.

Let us create a union that rules Anatolia for centuries. Writers and poets will speak of our legacy for years. Zipoetes, this is the future you must make with me!

Antigonus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Base 50%
    Royal Marriage +50%
    Offer to Intervene in their Current War (Assist in Defeating of Rebel Faction) +30%
    Offer Protection in future assaults +30%
    Large Army +20%
    Threat +5%
    Mutual Enemy +15%
    Nicomedia (Capital) to Antigonus –60% (only possible since its under threat of siege)
    Tribute (100 talents from Bithynion) -20%
    Hate –10%
    Non-Hellenic -10%
    Chance: 100%

-50 talents, this treaty will last for the life of Antigonus
    Last edited by Aetius; March 22, 2017 at 01:19 AM.

Zipeotoes does not seem entirely pleased by this offer but in the face of four enemies it seemed wise to align with one to defeat the others. Yes, his capital would be lost, Bithynion could have to be a suitable replacement now. At least-- nevver again would Bithynia be invaded by the greedy Macedonians as long as Antigonus reigned in anatolia, and a marriage to a noblewoman such as his daughter elevated the prestige of his new state from one of barbarian to at least respected.

Chalcedon must now fall, although even with his newfound "ally" the city would have to be assaulted for its doubtful the lysimachid fleet could be defeated

Royal Army @Bithynion - moves to Chalcedon - 1 day
    Zipeotes
    20 Thracian Peltasts
    20 Thracian Cavalry
    20 Hoplites
    10 Eastern Levies
    20 Eastern Axemen
    20Thracian Warband
    32 Psiloi

Amastris, an ally has sent 2600 troops in support
    4 x Eastern Light Cavalry
    3 x Psiloi
    3 x Eastern Axemen
    3 x Eastern Levies

Garrison of Bithynion
    5 Eastern Levies

Garrison of Heraclea
    5 Eastern Levies

Bithynian fleet is harboring in nicomedia still
    Blut und Boden

Default Re: [Ongoing] The Hellespontine War

Siege of Chalcedon-begins 3/22
    Chalcedon (Coastal ) -Moderate Walls - 5 days to starve out (cannot be starved due to no blockade)
    Takes 1 day to build light siege engines to assault one side of the wall (ready 3/23)
    takes 3 days to build heavy siege engines to assault two sides of the walls (ready 3/25)
    chance of breaching: 71.32%

Garrison - 55350 bp (this is tripled)
    Hoplites 5
    Levy Hoplites 15
    Psiloi 8

vs

Besiegers -125100 bp
    Zipeotes
    20 Thracian Peltasts
    20 Thracian Cavalry
    20 Hoplites
    10 Eastern Levies
    20 Eastern Axemen
    20Thracian Warband
    32 Psiloi

Zipeotes begins construction of siege weapons

Siege of Pergamon-begins 3/22
    Pergamon(Coastal ) -Large Walls - 8days to starve out (cannot be starved due to no blockade)
    Takes 1 day to build light siege engines to assault one side of the wall (ready 3/23)
    takes 3 days to build heavy siege engines to assault two sides of the walls (ready 3/25)
    chance of breaching: 78.78% (without the reinforcements)

Garrison - 121110 bp (this is only doubled due to Antigonus' siege engineer)

8 Pisoli
    8 Levy Hoplites
    5 Eastern Axemen

~reinforcing by sea soon~
    Akexandros (10 Command, 10 Combat)
    Alexander Veterans 5
    Pezhetairoi 23

vs

Besiegers -77177 bp

Antigonus (Famous siege engineer)
    Demetrius

30 Hippeis (dismounted)
    4 Alexander's Thessalian Cavalry (dismounted)
    8 Alexander's Veterans Pezhetairoi
    13 Pezhetairoi
    6 Xystophoroi
    Last edited by Aetius; March 22, 2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Siege of Chalcedon

For nearly 3 months Zipeotes had prepared for this attack, with Demetrius and his siege corps they constructed a massive battering ram, macedonian siege towers, and mining networks. The careful Chalcedonians braced the gates, rigged catapults to stop the towers, and counter mines to detect Demetrius' workers but it was all in vain due to overwhelming numbers and lack of resolve at critical moments allowing Demetrius and Zipeotes to breach the walls from the north and crumble the southern defenses allowing the troops to swarm the city and take it.

Northern Assault
    (Zipeotes picked wall assault, defenders picked wall defense) defenders +50% bp
    Breached - Light Losses
    5 x eastern axemen

Eastern Assault(Zipeotes picked wall assault, defenders picked wall defense) defenders +50% bp
    Repulsed - Light Losses (lucky roll)
    2 x hoplites

Southern Assault(Demetrius picked mining assault, defenders picked mining defense) defenders +50% bp

Breached - Light Losses
    3 x hoplite

City Square
    -3 Eastern Axemen
    -2 x hoplite

Result: Clear Victory

Attackers Casualties
    Hoplites (Antigonus) -4
    Eastern Axemen -8
    Hoplites -3
    ~approx 3750

Chalcedonian Casualties
    ~total

notes
    +Polyperchon has lost his foothold in bithynia
    +Zipeotes thanks demetrius for his support and makes Chalcedon his new temporary capital where he will drink to his hearts content and put many babies into Antigone
    Last edited by Aetius; March 26, 2017 at 01:18 AM.
    Blut und Boden

Pergamon was abuzz, a city under seige, filled to bursting with refuges from the countryside. Luckily, the mighty fleet of Lysimachus kept the port open. Things were desperate in the first months of the seige, thousands amassed outside the walls as a small band of conscripted Greeks and asians manned the walls. The arrival of Polyperchon's son Alexandria and his six thousand brought hope the beleaguered inhabitants of the city, but all the same the seige continued, and thousands more amassed outside the city walls. A brash decision was made by the leadership of Pergamon, to poison the water supply of the besiegers. In the dead of night a ragtag force of Greek and Asian peasants slipped out of the city an drew into the camps of Antigonus under the cover of darkness. They threw plague ridden corpses and rotting animal carcasses into key wells being used by the enemy forces. Within the first week a few dozen had died and many thousands were to ill to lift their blades.

Effects:
    - Sickness falls upon Antigonus' camp, his forces losing 25% of their effectiveness. Another 25% will be lost if the seige continues another day.
    - This BP can only be regained by five days spent recovering in a staunchly Antigonid city.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; March 26, 2017 at 02:05 AM.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

Hellespontine War Developments of 319

The Antigonid-Bithynian Alliance escalated the hostilities from a mere butting of heads in Bithynia to full out war. On the side of Lysimachus and Polyperchon, Antipater's loyalty rested, spurred on by a royal marriage between Antipater and Lysimachus. Given the General's death on the eve of 319, Cassander assumed power and maintained this relationship.

Following the alliance formation, Antigonus rode west to claim the ungarrisoned cities of the Hellespont under control of Lysimachus. Polyperchon, fearing potential doom in Chalcedon, took to the sea and abandoned the Greek rebels. On the Lysimachid fleet, he sailed around the coastline. The local people of Pergamon formed a large militia that was bolstered by the arrival of Polyperchon's son, Alexandros, and an army of veteran Pezhetairoi, remnants of the times of the late King Alexander.

While the other cities of the Hellespont gave themselves up willingly to new rule, the forces of Pergamon proved resistant. Antigonus led an army to the city and prepared for siege.

To the north, Demetrius rode with the siege engineer Cylos to assist the Antigonid army that marched with the eager Zipoetes. The rebels, abandoned by Polyperchon, were promptly assaulted in the city of Chalcedon and exterminated. The General of Philip, having taken back on his word of protection and aid, would no longer have the trust of independent states of Anatolia. His cowardice would be remembered in the pages of history.

Demetrius rejoiced at his first taste of victory. In celebration, the young general enjoyed the bodies of the three daughters of the rebel leader. The youngest was particularly enthralled by the Antigonid heir and, upon his departure, cast herself into the Propontis in agony.

Zipoetes, meanwhile, hailed Demetrius as a hero. The two half-brothers, similar in age, had grown close during the brief campaign. Zipoetes, as expected prior to the year, began to consolidate power and bolster forces in Bithynia.

The boy's father, however, met less success. Although the Phrygian plague had come to a fortunate end, the Antigonid people seemed cursed with ill health. On the dawn of the assault, a significant number of men fell ill. Antigonus called off the assault, returning back to Smyrna for his men to recuperate. It was considered likely that Leonnatus, the originator of the Cyprus plague that decimated thousands of Hellenic citizens, had been in collaboration with Lysimachus to continue the spreading of illnesses into Anatolia.

Across the sea, in Greece, the alliances that had formed in opposition to Cassander were thoroughly crushed. In a show of strength, the combined forces of Lysimachus and the young Cassander took to the seas to reinforce Pergamon. The two men hoped to combine with the forces of Polyperchon and extinguish Antigonus on his own lands.

Polyperchon abandoned by half of his followers despairs for a brieft moment before he

realizes what needed to be done. Taking back Asia Minor from Antigonous at the moment

was impossible due to the Thracians and political intrigue that was going around in Macedon.

Cassander and Lysimichus seems to agree that there was nothing that could be done in Asia

Minor and seemed like they were prepared to leave as well. Polyperchon considered just leaving

Craterous and the 3,000 Pezhetaiori in Pergamon, but there was a risk of them joining Antigonous.

Thus Polyperchon decided to head to Craterous camp and enters the camp with Cassanders and

Lysimichus troops as guards:

"Craterous, we are willing to hand you Pergamon or Phoencia once we take it

from the Epirusts. Any other city I must talk it with Lysimichus and Cassander.

What say you? It is a fair offer and better then anything Antigonous can offer thee".
    Last edited by Spartan999; April 04, 2017 at 02:50 PM.

Still in his twenties Craterus was chosen by the much older veterans for his resemblance to the famed elder Craterus whom they still venerated as tough but fair general of the infantry.
    His voice rang out from from the front of the ranks

Craterus the Younger
    Command:10
    Combat:9
    Admin:8

"The time has come!

The reward is due to these fine men. At the Hydaspes Alexander promised land for their families, rewards and honors.

AND THAT WAS 8 YEARS AGO"

this is met with angry cheers

"Yet...we still fight as common soldiers, led from battle to battle on a never-ending campaign. Polyperchon you may be a great Macedonian but you are no Alexander. We've been holding Pergamon for over a year now as lackies. Is this what we are? Poorly paid mercanries for Lysimachus?

No more promises! No Phoenicia , give us Pergamon if you see it fit, we have no desire to fight Antigonus

We want it now! "

Craterus smirked, confident that with the troops at his back he would get what he wanted

Note:

Craterus wants a city at once, or control of a vassal kingdom and his pezhetaroi will follow him OR his mutineers can be fought in the city now OR the mutiny can be ended if he is suddenly removed....
    Last edited by Aetius; April 04, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Lysimachus steps forward. Your contributions have not gone unnoticed. He actively surprised his urge to kill the man, but he had enough to worry about. I shall grant you this city, to rule as you will. I ask but one thing in return, that you hold it against Antigonus and provide us with a line of supply. You will swear this before the gods.
    Last edited by Pericles of Athens; April 05, 2017 at 08:22 PM.

Rebel Jeb's Avatar Mayo

delete
    Last edited by Rebel Jeb; April 05, 2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: no longer necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Lysimachus steps forward. Your contributions have not gone unnoticed. He actively surprised his urge to kill the man, but he had enough to worry about. I shall grant you this city, to rule as you will. I ask but one thing in return, that you hold it against Antigonus and provide us with a line of supply. You will swear this before the gods.
    Pleased, he responds

"You are a wise and generous man Lysimachus. Both you and antigonus are welcome to camp outside my walls and buy supplies from the city, and I will hold it against Antigonus....or any invader"

Effects: Craterid Dynasty of Pergamon has been established will soon become an NPC. In addition to the pezhetairoi he will be able to buy an army and navy worth 1200 talents as per npc formula (3x income + 300 per if a port)
    Blut und Boden

The Army of Lysimachus, Cassander and Polyperchon arrive to the walls of Abydos and see the Antigonid banner flying above its wall. Demetrius was commanding its defense.

Abydos (Ancient Greek: Ἄβῡδος) or Abydus, an ancient city at Troad (Troas), in Asia Minor was located on the western slope of the promontory south of Nağara Point, and is sited on the best harbor on the Asiatic shore of the Hellespont. The acropolis of Abydos stood on the hill of Mal Tepe. Sestus lies north across from Abydos, on the European side of one of the narrowest points of the Dardanelles, slightly more than a nautical mile (1.9 km; 1.2 mi) broad; the narrowest point is at Çanakkale. The site is enclosed in a military zone considered to be of strategic importance, and access to it throughout the 20th century was generally prohibited.

Abydos was first mentioned in the catalogue of Trojan allies.[1] Strabo, noting that earlier the area was Thracian, states that the city itself was founded by Milesian colonists with the consent of Gyges, king of Lydia,[2] around 700 BC. It was occupied by the Persians in 514 BC, and Darius the Great burnt it in 512 BC. Here Xerxes built two pontoon bridges and crossed the strait in 480 BC, when he invaded Greece.[3] It later was a member of the Delian League.

Siege of Abydos-begins 4/5
    Chalcedon (Coastal ) -Moderate Walls - 5 days to starve out ()
    Takes 1 day to build light siege engines to assault one side of the wall (ready 4/6)
    takes 3 days to build heavy siege engines to assault two sides of the walls (ready 4/8)
    chance of breaching: 29.40%

Garrison - 460220 bp (4x due to Demetrius siege engineer)
    Demetrius
    Phillip II
    Cynane

17 Hoplites
    4 Hetairoi
    4 Argyspides
    23 Pezhetairoi
    30 Hippeis(dismounted)
    4 Thessalian Cavalry(dismounted)
    6 Xystophoroi(dismounted)
    2 Hetairoi(dismounted)

Besiegers -191659 bp

Lysimachus
    Cassander
    Philip Antipatrid
    Polyperchon

9x Hetairoi
    5x Thessalian Cavalry
    12x Xystophoroi
    7x Prodromoi
    5 x Hypastists
    5 x Agema Peltasts
    3 x Argypsiades
    12x Veteran Pezhetaiori
    18 x Pezhetairoi
    10x Thracian Peltasts
    9 x Alexandrian Thessalian Cavalry
    12 x Alexandrian Argypsiades
    2 x Merc Hippeis
    2 x Alexandrian Veterans

@Pergamon?
    Antigonus
    8 Veteran Pezhetairoi
    26 Pezhetairoi
    3 Agema Peltast
    3 Hypapist
    2 Argyspides
    6 Hoplites
    Last edited by Aetius; April 05, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Battle of Beroe

The Thracians have made a stand a the Tundzha creek in a swamp only on the thracian left/lysimachid right is cavalry of use, the swamp will give -20% bp to cavalry there

pr/send chat of which units you want to skirmish and which you want to counter skirmish

Seuthes III
    8 Elite Thracian Infantry
    10 Thracian Cavalry
    12 Thracian Peltasts
    32 Thracian Warband

vs

Alcimachus (6 Command, 10 Combat)
    Achillios (7 Command, 7 Combat)
    Alexander, son of Polyperchon

1 x Hetairoi
    5x Silver Sheilds
    3x Alexandrian Thessalian Cavalry
    5x Thessalian Cavalry (allied)
    6x Alexandrian Veterans (4x allied)
    10x Thracian nobles
    8x Thracian Peltasts (skirmish)
    8x Pisoli (skirmish)
    4 Rhodian Slingers (skirmish)
    To Apollonia at quick march. .5 days

Note: RJ has lost control of the thracians and is no longer using them for their goal of sacking or conquering land, they do not want to act as decoys for antigonus and will now fight to either win their kingdom back or die in the attempt

Skirmish Result

(all lysimachid units skirmish attack)
    (all odrysi counter-skirmish)
    Sweeping out across the front Achillos ordered the rhodians and thracian peltasts to begin to engage the enemy. However, the barbarian thracians were hidden well in the swamps and could not find many good targets. Then, from the flank emerged the enemy peltasts and they began to enter a wild short melee fight. Not many died in this sudden attack however it had the proper effect Seuthes wanted, to severely disrupt the Lysimachid skirmish/
    (Poor roll)

Casualties (Odrysi)
    -1 Thracian Peltast

Casualties (Lysimachids)
    Minimal

Notes: Since Lysimachids still did more damage they can now retreat if they want.

Send battle plan when you are able

BATTLE RISKS:
    IF lysimachus wins the odrysi kingdom will be subjugated (value 300 talents)
    IF lysimachus loses all cities along the border will be ceded to the odrysi and a peace for 2 years will be enacted and their army will grow signifigantly
    Last edited by Aetius; April 06, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
    Blut und Boden

Battle of Beroe

The crisp early winter air brought light snow dusting the battlefield with a fine white powder that would soon be stained with the blood of the fallen.
    Achillos, a veteran donned his helmet, which he liked as it hid his ugly face. Alexander, grasped his spear for reassurance. Alcimachus , elder brother of Lysimachus disgraced in the conquest wars for cruelties done to the ionian greeks spoke:
    “All men's gains are the fruit of venturing.” Quoting Herodotus “Lets teach these savages a lesson they shall never forget.”

Achillos, the less verbose one silently nodded and signaled for the attack to begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw9i11GzJS8

Right:
    Alcimachus leads a charge across the cold ground, the hooves striking the ground in a relentless beat. Across from him is the King Seuthes at the head of a thousand Thracian horseman. Now, what they live for a great and glorious cavalry fight begins, lance against lance, sword against sword. Screams of men and horses, exultations of victory. The Macedonian and Thessalonians are better armed and some have more experience but the thracians match it with sheer ferocity
    Outcome: Taking Ground

Seuthes retinue cuts its way towards Alcimachus and calls out for for a duel (refusing will be -5% to the army as it is seen as cowardly)

Hetairoi
    ALEXANDER's Thessalians
    Thracian Nobles
    Thessalian Heavy Cavalry

Vs

Thracian Cavalry
    10 7
    Thracian Warband
    Thracian Nobles

Center

The solid phalanx advances in tight formation led by Alexandros who had devised the plan although despite their best efforts the swamp begins to undermine it somewhat (failed roll). Opposing them was the mass of thracians, although mostly amateurs they were seemingly drunk and as soon as the phalanx began crossing the creek a great roar of men burst forth. Many literally jumped above the pikes and smashed downwards with their curved swords upon the helms of the phalangites. This utter shock savagery halted the phalanx in its path which is an achievement. However after the first minute it was evident the phalanx didn’t break and the lightly armored warriors started to fall back. Only the armored Nobles kept it from breaking. The pike wall kept stabbing and stabbing..and stabbing. They had faith in Seuthes.

Clearly Winning

ALEXANDER'S Argyaspides
    ALEXANDER's Veterans
    Thracian Nobles

vs
    Thracian Warband
    Thracian Peltasts
    Thracian Nobles

Left
    Both sides had thought deemed this swamp not likely to be decisive and sent only enough to hold. Achillos watched in fascination as his men just reverted to tribal war. The battle was thracians fighting thracians. Very savage, the warriors seeking the scalps of the fallen. The odrysian peltasts perform well against the nobles who fall to well placed javelins. However the larger group of warbands is unable to beat the lysimachid allied thracians.

Indecisive

Thracian Nobles
    Thracian Peltasts

Vs

Thracian Warband
    Thracian Peltasts

All sides are stuck fighting, The reserve can be moved, all shock bonuses are now gone and turned negative.

---PART 2: Conclusion---

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE twc ate my work posting short version hate typing stuff twice

tl;dr
    Alcimachus denies the duel, hetairoi reform and smash thracians, capturing Seuthes. Thracian center breaks, Psiloi and rhodians save Achillos on the left
    RESULT: LYSIMACHID VICTORY

LYSIMACHIDS
    1 x Hetairoi
    5x Silver Sheilds
    3x Alexandrian Thessalian Cavalry
    5x4 Thessalian Cavalry (allied)
    6x Alexandrian Veterans (4x allied)
    10x8 Thracian nobles
    8x Thracian Peltasts (skirmish)
    8x4 Pisoli (skirmish)
    4 MERC Rhodian Slingers (skirmish)

~~1250 men killed or wounded

ODRYSIANS
    Most die or flee, some retreat to their homeland but devolve into infighting without their King
    ~7500 killed or captured

Effects:
    ++Lysimachus can now order Seuthes killed claim Moesia (3 100 talent provinces to the north)
    ++Since Seuthes was captured he may also be reinstalled as a tributary state who will guard lysimachus northern border against barbarian raids permanently negating that event
    Last edited by Aetius; April 06, 2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Blut und Boden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast