Thread: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2016 - The Awards Ceremony!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2016 - The Awards Ceremony!

The Writers’ Study staff have been labouring night and day; counting votes, re-counting votes (just to be sure), drafting paragraph after paragraph of elegant and appropriate praise for our winners, and cleaning and pressing their official gowns of office. In the Writers’ Study Theatre, where all our awards ceremonies are held, the Writers’ Study imps have been frantically ironing the stage, scrubbing the lectern, and waxing the velvet curtains (they’re easily confused). Alwyn assures me that his eagle-eyed supervision has prevented any such mix-up with the prizes – after some threats gentle encouragement, the imps have polished those Writers’ Study points and medals so thoroughly they now – worryingly – glow in the dark.

It is therefore my great privilege to invite you all to don your best dinner jacket or ballgown (or both, if you wish) and join me at the

Writers’ Study Yearly Awards for 2016

We begin with a very special guest. Here to present the award for AAR of the Year 2016 is someone without whom the Writers’ Study staff would be just a bunch of people doing random things. He is a writer of many fine AARs himself, but somehow still finds time to offer help and guidance to other writers. He is almost certainly the best-known cup of coffee in the Writers’ Study – gentlebeings, please welcome the one and only Alwyn, Director of the Writers’ Study…!

[Alwyn proceeds to the lectern with all the majesty due to his elevated rank. A small, untidy-looking imp scurries out from the wings after him, tugs at the tail of his official gown, and – with an enormous, toothy grin – hands him a slightly creased envelope. Alwyn, somewhat gingerly, takes the envelope and completely ignores it.]

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn
    I am happy to announce that the winner of Most Popular Cup of Coffee goes to…
    [The imp tugs at Alwyn’s sleeve and points insistently at the envelope in Alwyn’s hand.]

What do you mean, I can’t just make up an award? How about an award for Best Beverage?
    [The imp shakes his head solemnly. Alwyn sighs and opens the envelope.]

All right then. The first-place winner of AAR of the Year 2016 is…
    [An unnecessarily long dramatic pause follows. The imp begins to nudge Alwyn.]

A Long Way From Home by Caillagh! Caillagh’s AAR shows us Skyrim through the eyes of Yannick, who doesn’t want to be there, doesn’t understand that he is allowed to keep the treasure he finds, and finds himself in trouble because doesn’t know what a housecarl is for. We see characters who are familiar for Skyrim players – such as Lydia and Farkas – with distinctive personalities, histories and voices. Some excellent AARs make readers want to play the game. An outstanding AAR such as A Long Way from Home can make readers wish that the game was as immersive and engaging as the AAR. This well-deserved win is a sign that A Long Way From Home has maintained its exceptional qualities – since this AAR was also the first-place winner in the 2015 AAR of the Year category!
    2nd placeVandalarius: The One Sword of the Romano-Gothic Empire by Lugotorix
    The second-place winner is Vandalarius by Lugotorix. This remarkable AAR tells us of the fall and rise of the Ostrogoths, a people whose leaders are becoming entwined with the nobility of the falling Western Roman Empire – but will the Ostrogoths share the same fate as that doomed empire? This, then is the story of how the Ostrogoths fight to survive the arrival of Attila’s armies. As the author, Lugotorix said, this tale provides a “tapestry of relations and political maneuvering.” In Vandalarius, the political battles are as exciting as the physical fighting – and just as deadly.
    3rd placeWay of the Bow by Merchant of Venice
    Merchant of Venice is one of the best-known writers in the Writers’ Study, and Way of the Bow makes it very obvious why that is. An enthralling tale winding together the threads of several expertly-drawn characters, it is something you should definitely read if you have not already done so. Whether they are heroic or cruel, Merchant’s characters and his story are always compelling.

Moving swiftly on, for we have many awards to present, we turn our attention to:

Best Male Character in an AAR
    Winner – Authorius from Fractured Eagle by baozi
    This award was hotly contested right down to the wire. Our very worthy winner is a young man from an aristocratic family who nevertheless proves himself in battle. Fractured Eagle is known not only for its characterisation, but for its dramatic descriptions and excellent screenshots, and it is a great pleasure to be able to present this prize to baozi.

Best Female Character in an AAR
    Winner – Suzume, from Way of the Bow by Merchant of Venice
    Our next winning author needs no introduction – not least after having won third place in this year’s AAR of the Year category! Suzume is only one of the many complex and interesting characters in this AAR. Her life and her dreams are both full of excitement and intrigue – not always pleasantly – yet she still remains a likeable character. She is a superb demonstration of Merchant’s skill at characterisation.

Best Use of Images in an AAR
    Winner – Kingdoms of the Sand by Geoffrey of Villehardouin
    This year’s winner in this category uses images in a way that – as far as I know – no previous winner has done. This year, I am very proud to be able to say that for the first time we are presenting an award to a video AAR. A very fine video AAR, in which Geoffrey of Villehardouin tells his story with a brilliant combination of his recorded gameplay and a narration which adds immeasurably to the details shown on-screen.

Best Newcomer to AARs

Winner – theSilentKiller
    Our final winner in the AAR section of these awards is this year’s Best Newcomer, and I am enormously happy to be presenting this award to theSilentKiller. As he has already provided us with A.E.I.O.U. and Nous Pauvre Couillons du Front, there can be no doubt of the quality and inventiveness of theSilentKiller’s writing. We look forward to seeing what other gems he will produce for us in the future!

Having completed our list of AAR awards, we now celebrate the work of the Creative Writers among us.

[There is a pause. Nothing happens. Caillagh looks round, towards the wings. A scuffling sound can be heard, and then a gentle thump, as if a small body has just been knocked to the floor. An imp with a slightly tattered ear limps triumphantly across the floor to Caillagh, waving several slightly ripped envelopes, some of which bear distinct toothmarks. Apparently the imps have been fighting over who gets to go on stage to hand over the envelopes...]

Our most significant award in Creative Writing is, of course:

Creative Writing of the Year
    1st place Of Souls by Shankbot de Bodemloze
    This year, for the second year running, the award goes to an incredible piece of writing by Shankbot de Bodemloze. This is the beautifully-written story of a world where people’s souls can be used to fuel magic; of a man caught in an impossible political situation, and committed to a war that will destroy his country; and of a Soulsmith on the run. It is difficult to imagine that anyone reading this has not already read Of Souls, but if you haven’t, do. And then read Of Souls: Fragments, which is set in the same world.

2nd placeAD USQUE FIDELIS by ♔Old Dragoon♔
    The story of a veteran of the army of the Eastern Roman Empire, AD USQUE FIDELIS took second place. Uliaris is a man whose past seems to be catching up not only with him, but with those others who shared his past with him. A friend of his stands trial, and it seems that someone wants Uliaris – and the testimony he could give in support of his friend – out of the way. But who is the someone? And can Uliaris and his friends stop them? The story is full of twists and turns and keeps its readers on their toes.

3rd place
    Against the Tribe by Boriak
    In third place, we have a fascinating and elegant tale of politics and personal relationships within the tribe of the title. The two brothers who are Boriak’s main characters demonstrate very different approaches to their life within the tribe – one believes the tribe’s customs are all that keep them alive; the other believes the tribe’s customs are barbaric, and should be changed. Both their lives are changed by their beliefs...

In addition to our main award, this year we are pleased to be able to make an award for:

Best Male Character in a Piece of Creative Writing
    Winner – Arthur from Game of Thrones: Long and Sharp by SoulGamesInc
    Our winner in this category is a man with a complicated heritage – a man who describes himself as “Reyne to my friends, Lannister to my enemies.” SoulGamesInc has given us a tale based in the world, and the time, of A Song of Ice and Fire, but he has cleverly chosen to weave the story of his own characters around the contents of GRR Martin’s books. People and events we know intermingle with SoulGamesInc’s stories of other lives, and Arthur is one of those new characters.

[Alwyn, standing (where else?) by the coffee, suddenly finds himself seized and dragged back on to the stage - not roughly, but very firmly - by a couple of imps. His coffee is speedily removed from his hand, and replaced by yet another envelope. The look on the face of the imp holding Alwyn's coffee makes it extremely clear that the imp will be keeping the coffee until Alwyn has read out the winner of the last award.]

Our Best Writer award can be won by someone who writes AARs, Creative Writing or both.

There are writers who can conjure exciting images of the worlds their characters inhabit. There are writers whose characters seem real. There are writers who demonstrate a variety of tones and styles, so that their writing prompts us to sadness and sympathy, horror and anger, happiness and laughter. There are writers whose stories grab us and will not let us go. The winner of Best Writer for 2016 is Caillagh, whose Skyrim AAR A Long Way From Home does all of these and more.

In addition to our official winners, we would like to make special mention of HunterKYA for his character Edhen, from Titanium Core: Borderlands, who was the only nominee for Best Female Character in a Piece of Creative Writing, and Lord of the Drunk Penguin, who was the only nominee for the Best Poet award. With only one nominee in each category, it was impossible to hold a vote, but the Writers’ Study staff would like to congratulate HunterKYA and Lord of the Drunk Penguin; their work is very worthy of recognition.

Thank you to all the writers of the Writers’ Study for producing so much high quality work for us to read. Thank you also to everyone who posts comments – I know from my own experience and from the comments of other people that it is a huge encouragement to writers just to know that someone has read what you’ve written. And thank you to all the people who have participated in this Writers’ Study Yearly Awards competition: the people who made nominations, my colleagues in the Writers’ Study staff, and of course the Imps. These awards would be impossible without you.

The Imps will now circulate among you with drinks and light refreshments. I would advise you very strongly to ask them for details of all the ingredients of any item before you eat or drink it. You are, of course, welcome to stay and chat about this year’s awards here. If you would prefer to offer feedback relating to this year’s awards – or any suggestions for next year’s awards – more privately, please PM me or Alwyn. I cannot stress strongly enough that you should not write a note and hand it to the Imps, because they’ll probably eat it...
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; March 19, 2017 at 07:08 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Default Re: Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2016 - The Awards Ceremony!

Congratulations to all our winners and nominees! As Caillagh said, thank you to all writers here and everyone who comments on writing, who make the Writers' Study such a positive and enjoyable place to be!

Thank you to everyone who nominated and voted! Thank you to members of Writers' Study staff who helped to plan the awards, and to Caillagh de Bodemloze who carried them out with such efficiency! (If anyone is confused by the references to coffee, just have a look at my avatar on the left hand side of this post).

Cudos to all winners!Glad my nomination of Calliagh was right .Watch out ,next time i am aiming for best creative story and best aar .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

That was a beautiful tribute to another year, Shankbot, thank you. Congratulations to all the winners and those who competed. The announcement scroll had me chuckling this morning, Alwyn and Caillaigh.

Mad Orc, I'll bite. Why would you nominate or vote for a story you haven't read and try to get it to win. I won't be in next years nominations, just figured I'd ask, Wurzzag, da great green prophet. Caillaigh's story is a very good concept and read from what I've seen and funny, but I can't read all of it as it will spoil Skyrim which I got as a gift one year. Just seems from my point of view based on various things you've said to be an antagonistic tone.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post

Aar of the year - long way from home.skyrim aar by calliagh.
    (And no I have not read or seen it just now.)

What is going wrong with mad orcs writing .Tell it honestly .Point the accusing finger at me .

Cudos to all winners!Glad my nomination of Calliagh was right .Watch out ,next time i am aiming for best creative story and best aar .
    Last edited by Lugotorix; March 19, 2017 at 11:24 AM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

A small turtle, bent crooked with a heavy shell, lifted his weary head up to gaze upon his final destination - the Writers' Study. It had been a long journey; his supplies were exhausted, the soles of shoes worn thin, but finally he was here. Through the devastated battlefields of dwarves and orcs, elves and dragons, mighty champions and dangerous sorcerers he had travelled. Through the great plains of the east with their fearsome warlords and devilish hordes, burning and pillaging as they etched their mark across the land he had travelled. Through the height of civilisation and through its fall, once indomitable eagles broken and left strewn across the known world he had travelled. Through exalted clans and ruined honour, through clashes of spear, sword and bow fighting for tradition or advancement he had travelled. Through the desert sands and inhospitable winters, watching thousands upon thousands march under the banner of one man and his will for conquest he had travelled. Through the stormy seas and new worlds, through the old dominating the new, through the smoke of musket and cannon he had travelled. Through petty kingdoms and venerable kings, dying empires and infant dynasties, under the cross and crescent moon he had travelled. Through eras of old, civil war and ancient families, through honesty and corruption, through the elite and the masses he had travelled. Through all this and more, through faraway lands understanding their similarities and differences he had travelled. Through great centres of learning and dusty archives of old he had travelled. Onward and onward he had travelled, without pause or rest. And finally he was here. It was not his first journey, nor would it be his last - but it was a journey.

Like a moth to a flame it called to him, a beacon, a home. It vast yet familiar, ancient but new, close whilst also a million miles away. Many would make the same journey as he, across day and night, land and sea, time and space and they would all greet each other in the knowledge they had made this journey, this annual pilgrimage, for the same reason. Familiar faces greeted him, friends of old and new, meeting under the watch of the guardians of this sacred place. Alas, some would not make the journey this year, but that was not something to be saddened about - their mark would live on long after they had departed. Rejoice! For this journey was made to honour the best we as a community could produce. There would be revelry and awards, speeches and congratulations, but we would not forget they belonged to us all, and it was for us all we celebrate today. The talks had begun and would last long until the night, for once more a year comes around in a blink of an eye and a turn of the page...

(you guys had gone to so much effort, I felt I had to do a little piece )

Congratulations to everyone who was nominated and to those who won an award - it's been another fantastic year for the Writers' Study, and as I said above it's really down to everyone here. It's been great to see a range of new and interesting stories and AARs by both new members and old!

A big thanks to the WS Staff for organising these awards again - it's no easy task. I'd like to thank the dedication they put into this place as well, I don't think I've seen a on-going story or AAR that hasn't been commented on by at least one member of Staff, and it is really things like that which keep this place ticking over.

Finally, a huge thank-you to everyone who voted for Of Souls in the CWOY, I honestly don't have the words to express my thanks (and surprise!) - I am extremely humbled.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 19, 2017 at 03:19 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Caillagh, Alwyn and Shankbot deserve an award for such a well run Writers' Study Yearly Awards. I was probably the only contestant that had not been writing anything but thank you all, I am humbled, especially considering the tough competition. It was fascinating to discover the work showcased in all the excellent nominations and to witness all the great work from the committee.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; March 19, 2017 at 11:25 AM.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    Caillagh, Alwyn and Shankbot deserve an award for such a well run Writers' Study Yearly Awards. I was probably the only contestant that had not been writing anything but thank you all, I am humbled, especially considering the tough competition. It was fascinating to discover the work showcased in all the excellent nominations and to witness all the great work from the committee.
    You wrote your narration behind the scenes though. You showed us all a new way of doing things, and that deserves recognition.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Lugotrix .I said i have not read it just now.the nomination was right below an advertisment sig of the same aar.people would say that i just read this advertisment and decided to bllindly nominate .so i made it clear that i have read it much 'before' .not 'now'
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; March 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Congratulations to the nominated and winners! And thank you to everyone who voted! (for me ) It was a great year!

And while the imps are still cleaning the rubbish and bringing out the floor (hey! What are they doing, that's wrong?!) I have to tell Shankbot, that the story of his journey and arrival almost made me cry - if I wasn't a cold-hearted silent killer

If I only knew which beverage is the best...
    Last edited by theSilentKiller; March 19, 2017 at 03:59 PM.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I can't help but think of Cespenar when it comes to these imps...

I do have to mention I have had no hand in organising or running these awards so it would be unfair to allow people to thank me for that, please direct all of that to the WS Staff team.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed my little tribute to the WS, and don't worry tSK I'm sure someone was just cutting onions.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 19, 2017 at 07:40 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Inspiring tribute and all that Master Shankbot! Fellow patrons and esteemed citizens I am touched and humbly honored for the award. I also congratulate Shankbot and Boriak on their awards as well. I also congratulate all the other award recipients and nominees on all their brilliant works that bring such character and art to the Writers Study!!! I wish I could read all of them but rl takes over! Again thank you and blessings to all!

This was certainly an interesting competition! I want to congratulate all the winners and those who were nominated! Thanks to our favorite Coffee Cup (we can only hope for a Most Popular Cup of Coffee award next year!) and the Writer's Study Staff for doing all the work that was required to make sure things ran smoothly.

Now, let's just hope somebody gets those Imps under control!

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Congratulations to you all!

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Congratulations to all the winners and well done to the nominees!

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Congratulations to all the winners. Congratulations to everyone who creates stories.

Now... back to writing.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

[The honoured guests in their finery have all departed. Caillagh, having shaken more hands than anyone should be asked to in a single day, stands at the door to the Writers' Study Theatre. An imp, carrying a floorboard, looks up at Caillagh, half pleading, half defiant.]

No... No, I see what you mean, but I really think it would be better to put them back. We might need them next year.

[The imp's ears droop. He turns away, chittering sadly, but then turns back toward Caillagh. He sets the floorboard down and produces - apparently from thin air - a used paper plate, which he waves optimistically. Caillagh tries not to smile.]

Yes, I suppose it will do no harm for you to clean it. As long as you throw it out afterwards. OK?

[The imp, clearly happy now he's allowed to continue cleaning the rubbish, picks up the floorboard and heads back into the Theatre. Perhaps he will even return the floorboard to its proper place. Caillagh - at last - heads to the Writers' Study Staff Quarters for a hard-earned cup of tea and a sit down. There should be time for a five-minute break before the Writers' Study Staff need to start organising the 2017 Yearly Awards...]

(Thanks again to everyone - especially the imps...)
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 09, 2017 at 06:50 AM.