Thread: Just Snagged Game On Steam Sale

Default Just Snagged Game On Steam Sale

I have been playing it for about 10 hours now and I thoroughly enjoy the game.

I started as Vampire Counts, I am about 58 turns into it [wondering when the chaos hordes will show up, the beast men were already beaten when they started too many wars and were overwhelmed].

I have taken a large swath of land, I have 10 provinces.

I've decided to save for now and try my hand as the Bretonnians.

Default Re: Just Snagged Game On Steam Sale

Quote Originally Posted by ByzantinePowerGame View Post
    I have been playing it for about 10 hours now and I thoroughly enjoy the game.

I started as Vampire Counts, I am about 58 turns into it [wondering when the chaos hordes will show up, the beast men were already beaten when they started too many wars and were overwhelmed].

I have taken a large swath of land, I have 10 provinces.

I've decided to save for now and try my hand as the Bretonnians.
    It's exactly the same for me, I bought the at the sale now, played about 10 hours, as von Carstein (vampire), but I'm still at turn 12 and have only got 2 more provinces lel. I'm sucking at this game, but thoroughly enjoying it.

It is turn 162, I have 21 settlements and 7 complete provinces, [I picked over the ruins of Empire, Kislev, etc], but the Chaos have really mauled my beautiful armies. I had 5 superb field armies [the negative to this was my annual income was about +400 each turn due to massive upkeep costs] and Chaos cut through 4 of my field armies like they were not even there... I lost 4 field armies, completely lost them, along with the lords being wounded and heroes being killed.

Granted before that time, I had used two of my armies, along with an allied army of Wood Elves, to totally smash a Chaos field army, and I smashed another one, and I was assassinating their heroes left and right.

I lost 4 field armies in 2 turns, fortunately I have max garrisons in almost all of my cities/settlements. I have been fortunate in that I have only lost a few settlements/cities over the course of the game. One of my max level garrisons in a provincial capital was very helpful because I had 2 stacks of armies next to the city and I attacked 1 chaos stack and was able to crush them with my 2 stacks + the garrison.

Losing virtually all of my field armies boosted my income to about +18,000 per turn which helped me to rapidly recruit 2 high quality armies and to raise 3, very crappy, "raise the dead" type armies [armies consisting solely of skeleton and zombie troops].

Prior to losing my armies I was #1 in strength, then #2 due to chaos rising, then I fell to #9, but now I rose back to #1 after I made some moves to use 3 stacks against lone chaos stacks, defeating them in detail. In the space of 4 turns I butchered 3 chaos armies and the wood elves smashed another.

Chaos is receding, the Empire is in shambles [I took Altdorf during the height of the Chaos assault on the Empire].

The game has not been easy [well, playing on normal it shouldn't be easy, but normal almost feels like what I would expect "hard" to feel like].

I am thinking of switching gears to Bretonnia or Empire for a bit.

I earlier said 10 provinces, I meant 10 settlements. I was not aware of how the game classified settlements/provinces as something different.

I presently have 7 complete provinces, 21 total settlements, 6 armies [3 of which are complete crap, only skeletons/zombies], 2 of which are very elite comprised entirely of only the best units the Vampire Counts have, and the final one is a mixed bag with some elite and some fodder.

I intend to focus on disbanding my crap armies and forming a standing force of about 4 elite armies, but I am presently using my crap armies to venture throughout Kislev and colonize the ruined settlements.

To defeat Chaos you need 3 good armies in my experience though with strong garrisons sometimes you can do it with less if you are ready from the starting invasions to fight and bleed out the invading armies while losing a couple cities.

Vampires can afford 3 pretty strong armies with just Sylvania built up and add a 4th army if you can sack/loot regularly so it is possible to fight Chaos in the north with 2 armies and expand in the south/west with 2 armies.

I am having an annoying time as Bretonnia because it is slow going. Turn 20 and I still have only just taken Marienberg and I colonized a razed settlement on the other side of the main mountains in my area. I also razed one ork settlement in the mountains near my main settlement.

I would like to set the "enable confederation talk" options to 1 turn each, since they strike me something that shouldn't take half of the game to research. Bretonnia should be well on the way to unity by turn 40-50 so I have time to prepare and build up for the beasts, chaos, the ork waggghhh, etc.

I get the idea it will take at least 80-100 turns just to unify Bretonnia.
    Last edited by ByzantinePowerGame; March 20, 2017 at 01:56 AM.

I am having an annoying time as Bretonnia because it is slow going. Turn 20 and I still have only just taken Marienberg and I colonized a razed settlement on the other side of the main mountains in my area. I also razed one ork settlement in the mountains near my main settlement.

I would like to set the "enable confederation talk" options to 1 turn each, since they strike me something that shouldn't take half of the game to research. Bretonnia should be well on the way to unity by turn 40-50 so I have time to prepare and build up for the beasts, chaos, the ork waggghhh, etc.

I get the idea it will take at least 80-100 turns just to unify Bretonnia.
    I think you can do it in 40-50 turns if you completely concentrate on the confederation techs from the start, don't ally with any other bret factions, and Mousillon/Karak Ziflin/wood elves harrass them enough. If they don't budge throw in 10-30k to sweeten the deal. If you don't have money, get it from the Norsca tribes. I believe Parravon is the only bret faction missing the "underdog" trait so they might be the only one you need to bribe. I unified Bretonnia I think around 60ish turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post

Vampires can afford 3 pretty strong armies with just Sylvania built up and add a 4th army if you can sack/loot regularly so it is possible to fight Chaos in the north with 2 armies and expand in the south/west with 2 armies.
    With which mod can VC with only Sylvania afford 3 strong Stacks?

Better economy or better trade i think. Makes a lot more sense

Quote Originally Posted by Chewie View Post
    I think you can do it in 40-50 turns if you completely concentrate on the confederation techs from the start, don't ally with any other bret factions, and Mousillon/Karak Ziflin/wood elves harrass them enough. If they don't budge throw in 10-30k to sweeten the deal. If you don't have money, get it from the Norsca tribes. I believe Parravon is the only bret faction missing the "underdog" trait so they might be the only one you need to bribe. I unified Bretonnia I think around 60ish turns.

As of turn 55 I had not gotten a single entity to join up with me.

It took me about 15 turns to subdue Marienburg, taking their main settlement and making them a vassal on their last one. It was turn 2 when I wiped out the orks near my area.

Parravon only lasted until about turn 15 and they were clobbered, but I still have to research through them on the tech tree to get to the one beyond them, why is this?

Throwing 10k-30k to sweeten the deal? Where do I get this sort of money?

I am having quite a time of things as Bretonnians. It is far more aggravating than fun. I don't mind challenges but the tech tree research seems convoluted, and the general lack of serious economic opportunity, combined with the loss of some Bretonnian confederation targets early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post

As Vampire Counts I have taken 22 settlements and 7 complete provinces in order to afford 3 elite stacks, 1 moderately decent stack, and 2 mediocre stacks.

Sometimes I can get 5 elite/strong stacks but at the expense of not having much of an income on any turn.

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    Better economy or better trade i think. Makes a lot more sense

Nobody will ever trade with me when I am the Vampire Counts.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; March 20, 2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Triple post merged. Please use the "edit" button to add something new to an already existing post.

As of turn 55 I had not gotten a single entity to join up with me.

It took me about 15 turns to subdue Marienburg, taking their main settlement and making them a vassal on their last one. It was turn 2 when I wiped out the orks near my area.

Parravon only lasted until about turn 15 and they were clobbered, but I still have to research through them on the tech tree to get to the one beyond them, why is this?

Throwing 10k-30k to sweeten the deal? Where do I get this sort of money?

I am having quite a time of things as Bretonnians. It is far more aggravating than fun. I don't mind challenges but the tech tree research seems convoluted, and the general lack of serious economic opportunity, combined with the loss of some Bretonnian confederation targets early on.
    Well, usually they survive but on occasion some bret factions, esp. the ones down south, will get unlucky with an inopportune beastmen stack attacking them the same time as someone else. If this happens you can just colonize the razed settlements or, if you REALLY wanted Fay Enchantress or Cassyon from Parravon, you can just start over if you're only 15 turns in.

Whichever factions the bret factions are at war with, you should declare war on them also to boost their relations with your faction (and to protect them from being wiped out by some random beastmen invasion). Don't ally with them though because AI will less likely confederate with you if you're not as strong as them (though this is not the only factor) and being their ally adds to their strength. I've had times when the confederation option was "moderate" chance of success, make an alliance with them, and confederation immediately dropped to "low".

Once you start confederating and building up the economy you should have the necessary funds to bribe whoever is last that doesn't want to join you. You can also sack some norscans every once in awhile, just keep an eye on your chivalry and make sure it doesn't drop too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    No mods. Develop Drakenhof first aiming for all the income buildings and station heroes which give +income. By the time all Sylvania is built to the max (somewhere in turn 70s even on Legendary is possible) Sylvania alone gives over 9,000 which you can build 3 strong armies with. Maybe not epic armies with 100% tier 5+ units but 8 Graveguard, 4 Dire Wolves, 4 Crypt Horrors, 2 Fell Bats, 1 Lord, 1 Hero which is just a bit over 3,000. That army can defeat anything 1 v 1 from the AI aside from some late game Dwarf or Chaos armies. Of course you will want more than Sylvania and I usually keep armies around 17 units to save upkeep recruiting RoR or Dire Wolves/Fell Bats right before battle.
    Last edited by Ichon; March 21, 2017 at 02:33 AM.

Semisalis

I got it in the sale too. I started as empire which seems a lot less fun than you all are describing. I am in so many wars that i need two or three large armies but that stops me making the buildings which will actually win the battles. The pacing seems off to me and weirdly confederating is a massive negative because costs should up higher than the additional
    income.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Got it on the Sale too, really enjoying it so far
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Quote Originally Posted by Col.KanKrusha View Post
    I got it in the sale too. I started as empire which seems a lot less fun than you all are describing. I am in so many wars that i need two or three large armies but that stops me making the buildings which will actually win the battles. The pacing seems off to me and weirdly confederating is a massive negative because costs should up higher than the additional
    income.
    Your income does go up but so does your costs to defend that extra land. Usually you will need to disband any additional armies that come with confederation so you have to balance the risk vs the gain- usually getting 2 core provinces heavily built up is important before confederating. Also if you tear down the AI's poor building slot choices you will get some extra money- usually enough to quickly build the tier 1 income buildings. Empire can be one of the more difficult campaigns depending on how many early wars you get into. I've had all the Dwarfs + Wood Elf + Bretonnia get invited by the rebels before turn 10 and not much you can do vs 12+ armies that early.

Semisalis

Thanks, hadn't thought of tearing down buildings. Good tip.
    ~ Too soon old, too late smart ~

It's turn 204 for me, I crushed the Chaos easily in merely three turns, but I've never been so rich as you. I can only field two top quality armies (Isabella and Vlad), meanwhile Mannfred leads a full skeleton army to colonise ruins to the north. The dwarves confederated with all other factions of their race and are top 1, I'm top 2. They have been pounding me hard, but I've been pounding them harder. I've managed to raze about 8 of their settlements, they still hold 36. I achieved a great victory yesterday, as I spotted 4 stacks of theirs in front of a provincial capital, I assaulted with Isabella and Mannfred's skeleton army, and emerged triumphant, hadn't lost a single unit on Isabella's army.

I hold much less settlements, Western and Eastern Sylvania, Averland, Stirland, Southern Oblast, Ostermark, that northern province with a harbour and a gold mine, forgot the name. Haven't been expanding much after the Chaos hordes, need to destroy the dwarves first and then move onto the Empire.

80 hours into the game and I'm no longer sucking, I've found myself getting really good at winning battles with little casualties or heavily outnumbered, I've achieved a level of greatness in gameplay I hadn't seen since Medieval II, I'm a heavy cavalry sort of player and as you can see I hadn't much luck with Empire, Napoleon, Rome or Attila.

It is great to have a "Medieval 2 feel" once again, fielding 4 units of knights and charging straight ahead with little concern if it hits them in the front or flanks.

Feels good man.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

How many waves of Chaos did you get? Usually there are 3 waves but if you didn't face Chaos until near turn 200 I have no idea... defeating first wave in 3 turns is pretty easy but all 3 waves is difficult unless you kill all the Legendary Lords each battle.

Yep, that's what I did, I killed all their lords in battle, I always focus my strongest units on their general first, and then spam spells.

As soon as they showed up north of my border I mobilised the armies, they razed one of my settlements before I could reach them, but then after reaching it took me 3 turns to beat every stack and kill the general, luck was that I did before they could recover. Only Birdman escaped me once I had to rush and catch him again.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk