Thread: How to Use Javelin Cavalry?

Icon5 How to Use Javelin Cavalry?

I'm coming back to this game after a LONG abcense, and I've just recruited some Cavalry Auxilia as the Scipii. Trouble is, I don't really know how to use javelin cavalry very well. The only things I can think of are either to use them to target slow-moving heavy infantry, or to "rodeo clown" units like elephants away from my main army. Are these my only options, or are there other options for using javelin cavalry? Should I even bother recruiting them at all?

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: How to Use Javelin Cavalry?

I would personally not use javelin cavalry at all, but that's just me.

Indeed, the short range of the weapon makes it very difficult to use effectively, but when that happens, it does tons of damage. Because of the short range, it makes the unit very risky, basically making attacks against any fast units dangerous. And because they are lightly armoured, they also get destroyed by enemy archers at range.

So my point of view is that they are light cavalry, that just happens to have a (very short) ranged attack. I would otherwise treat them as light cavalry, and if the enemy just happens to have a heavy infantry unit unsupported, then the javelin attack is very useful.

Of course, distracting strong enemy units like the said elephants is also a viable tactic. I can imagine them causing heavy damage while doing it, if they manage to be just out of their reach while staying in range of the javelins. The same applies to the slower 'regular' heavy cavalry.

Interesting idea, I would have never thought to use them as standard light cavalry. I always figured that they should be treatd as horse archers with extremely short range.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Jav cav can be great early in the campaign. You have to be quite tactical in using them though. Don't let them throw their javelins until they can hit the rear of the enemy unit. Bait the enemy with a couple of units of jav cav and split them up into single units around the battlefield, then throw javelins at point blank from behind to weaken the enemy. Tire them out until they're exhausted and surround them to reduce their morale. Charge from multiple sides at once and rout. Keep doing this on repeat and you'll take down large armies. Jav cav is much better than most light cav against the AI. Take this battle against the Greeks fielding Militia Hoplites, Rhodian Sligers, peltasts and some Greek Cav for instance:

The general does the hard hitting of course, but the militia cav are more than adequate to rout early enemies.

Generally, attack lightly armoured enemies with them, always flank, stay well away from elephants and chariots, and group charge at weakened isolated units.

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

That is indeed a tremendous result! Perhaps I can grant jav cav a test run next time I play Rome 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Jav cav can be great early in the campaign. You have to be quite tactical in using them though. Don't let them throw their javelins until they can hit the rear of the enemy unit. Bait the enemy with a couple of units of jav cav and split them up into single units around the battlefield, then throw javelins at point blank from behind to weaken the enemy. Tire them out until they're exhausted and surround them to reduce their morale. Charge from multiple sides at once and rout. Keep doing this on repeat and you'll take down large armies. Jav cav is much better than most light cav against the AI. Take this battle against the Greeks fielding Militia Hoplites, Rhodian Sligers, peltasts and some Greek Cav for instance:

The general does the hard hitting of course, but the militia cav are more than adequate to rout early enemies.

Generally, attack lightly armoured enemies with them, always flank, stay well away from elephants and chariots, and group charge at weakened isolated units.
    Interesting collection of tactics. Would you say that these are applicable for all types of javelin cavalry? As mentioned above, I tend to treat them as short-range horse archers, an appraoch which has led to very high casualty rates.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Yeah, all jav cav can do this. Some are better than others though. Numidians are the top monsters, hands-down. Pontic heavies are good too. Cavalry Auxilia are fine to use, they're just alright. Better than Militia Cav anyway. They're not quite horse archers though, so you have to manage them a bit differently IMO. Treat them more as light cavalry with a bonus attack to soften up the enemy beforehand. You can't afford to just let them fire at will like you can with HAs due to their more limited ammo. Only fire when you're right behind an enemy. You can leave them on skirmish, turn off fire at will and just sit around making sure to tire out the enemy. Take control of one unit, turn off skirmish and wheel them around until they're right behind the enemy unit, so close that they're almost touching, then fire. Back this group away and make them skirmish, then take control of another unit. Rinse and repeat.
    Last edited by Genius of the Restoration; April 03, 2017 at 02:51 AM.