Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Strategikos

Default Re: [Submod] Stratēgikόs

Quote Originally Posted by Erken View Post
    Update: Download

• Fixed: the ancillary used by the Poliorketika script is no more visible (even when the script is enabled)
    • Fixed: a ferrry has been added leading to Syria from the port of Kypros
    • Removed: messages of pre-surrender and pre-breaking point (to consolidate the surrender script)
    fantastic, thanks. save game compatible?

the F9 function grows on me. love its utility. it is especially handy when choosing where to place border watch towers.

when messages about the disease pop out, is it possible to add 'zoom to location' button (bottom left corner) to them? not a biggie but would be handy, if can be done.

thanks again.

No, not save compatible sadly.

when messages about the disease pop out, is it possible to add 'zoom to location' button (bottom left corner) to them? not a biggie but would be handy, if can be done.
    Currently no, but with the EOP it should be possible to add the name of the settlement/region to a message, and why not a button to locate the character.

Congrats for the release Erken, I haven't had the chance to try it but surely it is brilliant work as always!

some observations on Expeditionary Forces and possibly Surrender features from my quick playtest. under certain circumstances units do not seem to break at all and that applies to both player and the AI. this is by design but leads to some very strange outcomes: i managed to win a battle in enemy territory when my FM units simply refused to give up and beat a defending army double their size because enemy routed and my BG units reduced to 1 man each persisted. that felt like a cheated victory on my part as i simply did not have to worry about the morale at all. it is similar to what they describe happening in Troy with those super hero units that take ages to kill. likewise, my general could not rout a single unit of enemy slingers that happen to wonder into my land. they put up a heroic stand to the last man and had to be slaughtered completely. this behavior felt rather arcadie and unreasonable so i disabled Expeditionary Forces and Surrender features both until i figure out which one (or is it both?) that causes this.

That's exactly how it should be, but i understand that it's an unconventional way to play, and that's why as i already said i am probably the only one playing with this script. The real cheat for me is the possibility to flee in any battle, independently of the strategic situation. Real battles have nerver been sports meetings, and the exploitation of the situations of the enemy and of your own troops (directly or not) has always been the central point in the choice of a strategy.

So yes, if you play like it like in an ordinary TW, it won't be fun (but this submod has never been supposed to be fun). Also, the AI will also take advantage from the system in the reverse situation. For example, if an enemy expeditionary force enter one of your regions, you could be tempted to soon intervene to avoid to see you city captured by surprise (with the Stratagemata script), but then your troops will be faced with an enemy without other any other option that victory or surrender. It's also all the interest of using or not winter quarters, adjacent fleets, ambushes, etc...each situation having it's own rules.

That's why i call this submod "boring", what i don't think of course xD (on the contrary), but that's also why i would indeed advise to disable this script for 99% of players.
    Last edited by Erken; May 01, 2021 at 06:26 AM.

Slydessertfox's Avatar Vicarius

Got everything installed fine, but I want to mess with the options menu, though I'm unsure how to bring it up. I'm particularly dumb, so I'm probably missing something obvious, but the instructions say it's the help button...so my question is naturally what, is the help button?

Don't know if this is to do with your mod, but since I installed it I've stopped getting the pop-ups that appear down the side of the screen during battle whenever a general dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Slydessertfox View Post
    Got everything installed fine, but I want to mess with the options menu, though I'm unsure how to bring it up. I'm particularly dumb, so I'm probably missing something obvious, but the instructions say it's the help button...so my question is naturally what, is the help button?
    It's just the button in the top right corner of the settlement panel for example, with a question mark in the vanilla. Next use keys 1-9 (not the num pad) to choose an option, or Enter to go to the next page and Backspace to go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Don't know if this is to do with your mod, but since I installed it I've stopped getting the pop-ups that appear down the side of the screen during battle whenever a general dies?
    Yeah, i am the guilty. All battle messages are automatically deleted (even if all the scripts are disabled), that's a collateral damage/advantage of the system i use to check things at regular intervals in battle. When the battle starts, it triggers a message which is automatically deleted, and after 20 sec a monitor create a new message,etc...That's why you will also see no "building captured/lost" message.

Maybe, i can replace this messages about generals with the advisor.

It's just the button in the top right corner of the settlement panel for example, with a question mark in the vanilla. Next use keys 1-9 (not the num pad) to choose an option, or Enter to go to the next page and Backspace to go back.
    Thanks for the response, this worked. I only have one more question, is the automatic flashing highlighting green/red of allied units something this submod is doing (it's been awhile since I played EBII or M2TW, so it might just be a setting I forgot about), and if so is there a way to disable it?

This truly is a remarkable submod, I appreciate all the work you've put into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Slydessertfox View Post
    Thanks for the response, this worked. I only have one more question, is the automatic flashing highlighting green/red of allied units something this submod is doing (it's been awhile since I played EBII or M2TW, so it might just be a setting I forgot about), and if so is there a way to disable it?

This truly is a remarkable submod, I appreciate all the work you've put into it.
    Thx! No, it's a feature of the tool. You have probably used crtl+Q, do it again to disable it.

Thx! No, it's a feature of the tool. You have probably used crtl+Q, do it again to disable it.
    Thanks, that makes sense. I'll see if that works.

Yeah, i am the guilty. All battle messages are automatically deleted (even if all the scripts are disabled), that's a collateral damage/advantage of the system i use to check things at regular intervals in battle. When the battle starts, it triggers a message which is automatically deleted, and after 20 sec a monitor create a new message,etc...That's why you will also see no "building captured/lost" message.

Maybe, i can replace this messages about generals with the advisor.
    Ah I see. Is there any way to fix it myself without breaking it? I've most of the scripts disabled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh Mór Ó Néill View Post
    Ah I see. Is there any way to fix it myself without breaking it? I've most of the scripts disabled anyway.
    An easy solution (but not save compatible), would be to add semicolons before each line of this monitor (line 313326):
    Code:
        ;monitor_event IncomingMessage I_InBattle    ; ***
        ;    battle_wait 0 true
        ;    console_command clear_messages
        ;        if I_CompareCounter dec = 0
        ;           inc_event_counter e_loop 1
        ;        end_if
        ;end_monitor
    Nevertheless, it would break the surrender, breaking point and strategos scripts.

EDIT: you also need to add a semicolon line 310020 before "inc_event_counter e_loop 1"
    Last edited by Erken; May 05, 2021 at 03:13 PM.

Default Re: [Submod] Strategikos

I currently have an issue starting a campaign with this mod. Tried to start a Makedonian campaign and it went back to the main menu.
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

Quote Originally Posted by kingman1337 View Post
    I currently have an issue starting a campaign with this mod. Tried to start a Makedonian campaign and it went back to the main menu.
    Makedonia works without problem for me. Maybe have you mixed this submod with another one?

I did a clean install of EB2 with this mod and started it with the MTWEOP launcher.
    Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=514102

Quote Originally Posted by kingman1337 View Post
    I did a clean install of EB2 with this mod and started it with the MTWEOP launcher.
    Have you deleted the idx and dat files as required for the patch R2? I don't know if not doing this could provoke this kind of return to the main menu, but that's the only idea i have to explain this problem. If it's not suffcient to fix it, you can also try by deleting the sd and xml files in the ...ebii/data/ui folder, since it seems related to the ui, but i don't see why it would be necessary.

Are the other factions ok? I don't think it comes from the tool since you can launch it, so...no other idea, sorry...

Is this a problem with my install or normal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210513011725_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Omurtag View Post
    Is this a problem with my install or normal
    It's...more or less normal

EBII strat models have low walls, so when the ground is not perfectly flat it gives this kind of things. I have moved a lot of resources to try to avoid the problem but sometimes there is no real solution, particularly when the model is close to the sea. So the result is indeed not perfect, notably with punic models.

Ok thanks one more question changing battlefield size or any of the other options at the bottom is going to result in problems right ? I am especially interested in battlefield size option