Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

It's very easy to mod existing units. You just need to overwrite their rows in the database tables. So for example, with demi knights you would use main units tables to edit their row and increase their unit size. It's very simple, much easier than making a unit from scratch.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    You don't need to bother with WS models, just put the rigid model directly into the mesh.
    The .wsmodel files add some effects to the models, usually glow or some kind of transparency.

For example, Isabella's eyes rmv vs wsmodel, I was testing the functionality back when making my Vlad face restored mod, trying to add glowing eyes to Vlad.

I don't have the WElf dlc so I can't check easily now, but if I remember well the spellsingers also have some glowing aura, don't they?

I'm being pedantic, yeah, sorry. But, wsmodels are relatively simple to make, but won't necessarily work (as my experiments unfortunately showed )

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Well mostly this tutorial is geared toward making things as simple as possible but if people want to get advanced then they can
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    It's very easy to mod existing units. You just need to overwrite their rows in the database tables. So for example, with demi knights you would use main units tables to edit their row and increase their unit size. It's very simple, much easier than making a unit from scratch.
    Thanks for the reply.

So I used the PFM 4.1.2 to open the data.pack in the data folder, locate to the db -> land_units_tablets ->data_core ->

wh_main_emp_cav_demigryph_knights_0/1

However I can't edit the num_mounts since they are both greyed out and it's even weirder that the num_mounts for both units are 24 each, not 18.

Help?

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    The .wsmodel files add some effects to the models, usually glow or some kind of transparency.

For example, Isabella's eyes rmv vs wsmodel, I was testing the functionality back when making my Vlad face restored mod, trying to add glowing eyes to Vlad.
    I'm pretty sure I glow comes with animations. I learned this when trying to give a cav unit a better mounted qnimation for polearms. The hexwraith animation made the imperial units into hunchbacks with glowing eyes.

Perhaps the .wsmodel gives the hexwraiths their etherialness.

Glows != auras/spell effects. Those come from VFX files that are indeed tied to animations. Specifically it's the files in data/animations/[skeleton]/persistent that seems to call on them. Basically, anything that's particle based, that's VFX. Anything that's model based, wsmodel.

Haven't found any exceptions.

EDIT: And yes, the hexwraith etherialness comes, in part, from the .wsmodel. Some VFX too. The Tattered Etherials mod does that. There's no way to modify the shaders used by wsmodels, afaik.

EDIT2: Simple .pack files won't work with VFX, so if you're experimenting with that, try movie type packs.
    Last edited by Marthenil; April 08, 2017 at 11:31 AM.

So I used PFM to open the data.pack file in the main game folder, then locate to db -> land_units_tablets -> data_core:
    http://i.imgur.com/YM31PAE.png

I can't change the stats of any units since they are all greyed out, further more the number of units of the demi knights seem to be 24 but it's 18 in the campaign, any ways to change that? Thank you.

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by John.Sait View Post
    So I used PFM to open the data.pack file in the main game folder, then locate to db -> land_units_tablets -> data_core:
    http://i.imgur.com/YM31PAE.png

I can't change the stats of any units since they are all greyed out, further more the number of units of the demi knights seem to be 24 but it's 18 in the campaign, any ways to change that? Thank you.
    You have to make a new mod and add the tables there. PFM has this default lock so that you can't (and shouln't!) alter the games main files. As you seem unexperienced, you should read the modding tutorial on the first post on this tutorial!

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Yeah it might be useful to read the tutorial and maybe even the other tutorial that I link near the start. You have to start a new mod and add the table in, you can't edit data.pack directly.

As for the number of demi knights in a unit, that scales with unit size in your in game graphics settings. I think large unit size equals what is in main_units but you are probably using medium which is why your actual number in your game is lower.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

The campaign setting is locked after starting the campaign, so reloading a campaign save will default to the unit size you had when you started it, as far as I know.

Does anyone have experience dealing with normalmaps? If I were to just edit the existing one, does color determine the height (something like dark=lower, light=raised) or is it a different system? Or it might be easier to just generate a new normalmap from my edited diffuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    The campaign setting is locked after starting the campaign, so reloading a campaign save will default to the unit size you had when you started it, as far as I know.
    They actually changed this, you can now change the unit size mid campaign. You have to change it, save and then exit and load the campaign. They improved many little things with Total War: Warhammer.

Hey, now that i have started extracting beards and so on; I am trying to learn how to write variantmeshdefinitions with different combinations within them. I have tried to use the Battle pilgrims variantmeshdefinition to build upon, but no go:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

<VARIANT_MESH>
    <SLOT name="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_01.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    <SLOT name="body" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_02.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_03.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_04.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_05.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_02.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    <SLOT name="body" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_02.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_05.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_03.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    <SLOT name="body" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_03.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_04.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/torso/brt_battle_pilgrims_torso_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_04.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    <SLOT name="body" >
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_05.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/head/brt_battle_pilgrims_head_01.rigid_model_v2" >
    <SLOT name="body" >
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="legs" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/legs/brt_battle_pilgrims_legs_01.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/legs/brt_battle_pilgrims_legs_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/legs/brt_battle_pilgrims_legs_02.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/legs/brt_battle_pilgrims_legs_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/legs/brt_battle_pilgrims_legs_03.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/brt/brt_battle_pilgrims/legs/brt_battle_pilgrims_legs_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_1" attach_point="be_prop_0" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_2" attach_point="be_prop_1" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/VariantMeshDefinitions/brt_battle_pilgrims_sword_1h_set1.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="shield" attach_point="be_prop_2" >
    <VARIANT_MESH_REFERENCE definition="VariantMeshes/VariantMeshDefinitions/brt_battle_pilgrims_shield_set1.VariantMeshDefinition" />
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="weapon_3" attach_point="be_prop_3" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_4" attach_point="be_prop_4" />
    <SLOT name="weapon_5" attach_point="be_prop_5" />
    <SLOT name="stump_neck" attach_point="spine_2" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_neck_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    <META_DATA>equipment</META_DATA></VARIANT_MESH>
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_left_arm" attach_point="clav_left" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_left_arm_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_right_arm" attach_point="clav_right" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_right_arm_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_waist" attach_point="root" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_waist_hu1_1.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    <SLOT name="stump_severed_head" attach_point="head" >
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes/wh_variantmodels/hu1/dlc02_blood_pack/dlc02_stump_head_hu1_2.rigid_model_v2" >
    </SLOT>
    </VARIANT_MESH>

How would I go about writing a variantmeshdefinition if I for example want heads 1 & 2 to use helmet 1. I also want head 3 to use helmet one, but for it to also use beards 1,2 & 3 wthout those beards getting applied to heads 1 &2.
    I could probably just write different variantmeshdefinitionreferences but the purpose of variantmeshdefenitionreferences seems abit void if they're going to contain one head combination anyway.
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 10, 2017 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigWindage View Post
    Does anyone have experience dealing with normalmaps? If I were to just edit the existing one, does color determine the height (something like dark=lower, light=raised) or is it a different system? Or it might be easier to just generate a new normalmap from my edited diffuse.
    This is how I learned what Normal mapping is. You need special programs for it since it's not just shades of colour that decide but special colour frequencies. I saw a post on the Medieval 2 formus about how you can use Photoshop to create maps using the diffuse, but I didn't read into it to much.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping

I think I've made a texture transparency breakthrough, my dudes. Working with wardancer unit textures, anything I tried to make transparent would either turn white or have no effect. Then I noticed something in the materials file under variantmeshes called alphaoff. Here are my steps if you'd like to try it out for yourself and let me know if I'm on the right track.

1. Add: variants.pack
    -> variantmeshes
    --> hu1b
    ---> wef
    ----> wef_wardancers
    -----> materials
    ------> wef_wardancers_legs_01_alphaoff_weighted2.xml.material and wef_wardancers_legs_01_alphaoff_weighted4.xml.material
    2. Open as text
    3. Scroll down to the bottom at <params>
    4. Delete everything from <param> to </param> and save
    5. Make sure your edited diffuse file is in the mod, and check results in game

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Is that not just that one file though?
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Right, you'd have to delete that section of whatever texture file you're having problems with. There's a part called "Sort Override" in the "Alphaoff" file that seems to be overriding the transparency.
    It got my transparency to work for that model but made other textures freak out a bit.

Also, not all units have a materials section from what I can tell. I thought there might be somewhere else that other units are getting a similar alpha override from.

Now I've run into something odd. If I start with a blank mod then only add an unedited alphaoff material file, it causes the weird texture issues.
    I could probably add pictures to explain what I'm doing. Or if there's a more appropriate place I should be talking about this, I can move there.

Quote Originally Posted by IndigWindage View Post
    Or if there's a more appropriate place I should be talking about this, I can move there.
    In the end it's not my thread, but I quite enjoy the unit modding learning experience we got going here.

EDIT: I seem to have found an issue with the materials work around, only about 10% of rigid models use material files, or atleast it seems so since most of those files are not pachaged with the rigid.models. Do those simply not exist, or is there a different location for them?
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 11, 2017 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    Do those simply not exist, or is there a different location for them?
    I've been looking for another location, too. Maybe a shader is responsible for those? I've also gotten the same workaround result by deleting lines in the wsmodel.

Here's an imgur link to what I've been talking about. PFM is just my edited diffuse + unedited materials. Below is the result. The texture changes as depending on the angle you look at it.