Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that was possible. All I have been hearing since warhammer launched is that it's not possible. Maybe the Karl Franz model is special or maybe that modder did something new. I would ask him about it if you can.
    I have confimred that you can use transparancy with the empire knights helmets, next I'm gonna try the Blazing Sun helmets (those skull helmets without the sun crest, yum!). I haven't gotten the Demigryph knights helmets to work yet.

EDIT: By the way, Sebidee, you never did go through how to edit Normal maps, is that something you are planning to do? By the way, this tutorial, nuff said.

EDIT 2: I have started a smal project, I have begun extracting things like plumes, hair and facial hair that can be used to place on models to make them stand out. I mean, imagine a great sword with an Amber Wizards mighty beard. Hopefully it can be released as some kind of community resource mod.
    Last edited by Matmannen; April 06, 2017 at 03:19 PM.

I'm almost at my wits end trying to edit wood elf textures, if anyone can help.

I've been using this tutorial to edit the spellsinger torso diffuse file. My edit seems to show up at a distance, but reverts to the original texture up-close.
    I'm thinking the problem is either the way I'm saving the diffuse file (my edited one is somehow a smaller file than the vanilla), or that they use wsmodels in their variantmeshes instead of rigid which might mean I'm missing some steps.

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

In the varient mesh, are you changing the imposter model or the variant model? This is the variant definition of the wight king cape:

<VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\vmp\vmp_wight_king\cape\vmp_wight_king_cape_01.rigid_model_v2" imposter_model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1\vmp\vmp_wight_king\cape\vmp_wight_king_cape_01.rigid_model_v2" />
    As you can see, the rigid model is written twice, first for the variant model and then for the imposter model. The imposter model is strictly for low poly i.e seeing from a distance. You might have place your rigid model only in the second half of the definition.

That is atleast what I can gather based on my very limited knowledge, no seriously, two weeks ago I didn't even understand how the PFM works...

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Yep, it's the imposter model. Basically an imposter model is a low resolution verison of the model that shows when you are viewing units from long distances. It's there to ease pperformance as when you view units from a distance there could be thousands on screen. Your unit is using the original imposter model so you need to insert the imposter like Matmannen shows above.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Did you mess with the rmv2 file at all or only with the textures? If you're only messing with the textures, then you either exported wrong, or at the wrong resolution. The exported .dds should be in DXT10 format, which the Gimp plugin does not support currently, unfortunately, but Photoshop does. In most cases though, exporting as DXT5 will also work.

The default resolutions are:

wef_spellsingers_cape_01_diffuse 512x512
    wef_spellsingers_head_01_diffuse 1024x1024
    wef_spellsingers_legs_01_diffuse 512x512
    wef_spellsingers_torso_01_diffuse 512x512

Make sure you're resizing layers before exporting, or the final image will be larger if any of the layers is bigger than the final image

If you DID change the rmv2 file, then you only changed the filepath on the low poly models. When changing filepaths in the rmv2 with hexedits, you need to change ALL the filepaths (ctrl+f -> diffuse to find each section easily).

Last but not least: if you messed with the .variantmeshdefinition file, then you didn't do it correctly: Spellsingers as you noticed use .wsmodels. It's not very different from adding the rmv2 directly, but you need to change both the VARIANT_MESH model= and the imposter_model= lines. The difference is, since it's a wsmodel, you will add the wsmodel file, instead of the rmv2 file. So the final line would be:
    Code:
    <VARIANT_MESH model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1b\wef\wef_spellsingers\torso\wef_spellsingers_torso_01.wsmodel"  imposter_model="VariantMeshes\wh_variantmodels\hu1b\wef\wef_spellsingers\torso\wef_spellsingers_torso_01.wsmodel" >
                <META_DATA>audio_entity_type:wh_dlc_wef_elf_female_LH</META_DATA>            <META_DATA>audio_armour_type:leather</META_DATA></VARIANT_MESH>
    for example
    Last edited by Marthenil; April 06, 2017 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks a lot, guys. I was exporting as DXT1, editing all diffuse lines in rmv2 with the new path, then different attempts at replacing the wsmodel lines in variantmeshdefinition with rmv2.

Am I supposed to be editing the actual wsmodel files at all, or just add an imposter_model wsmodel line into the variantmeshdefinition?

Wait, what are you trying to accomplish ? New custom unit or simply retexture the Spellsingers?

If you want to make a custom unit, then you will have to remake the wsmodel files. It's a bit more complicated. If you just want to retexture the spellsingers, leave the variantmeshdefinition alone.

Sorry, should've explained more. Just retexture. Some armor-less units seem to have their clothing only as a texture, so I'm trying to make different clothes (testing with spellsinger) via retex.

Do you want these to be additional textures or replacement textures?

If you want to replace them, then simply add the textures, no changes to the rmv2, wsmodels or the variantmeshdefinition. Simply add the textures in a pack, named properly and in the proper file structure.

If you want to make ADDITIONAL textures to appear it gets more tricky. If that's what you want to do, you will have to wait a bit and I'll do a writeup.

Replacement should do the trick. At least to start as a proof of concept and figure out how it works. You've been a big help, thanks.

Also saves me the writeup!

It'd be too much to ask. Btw, I found a big dumb mistake I've been making. My test color blob was on part of the texture that's covered up by a DDS besides diffuse. Finally, progress!

Some fine detail disappears when LODs kick in, so it could be why you only saw it at a distance.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

You don't need to bother with WS models, just put the rigid model directly into the mesh.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

I seem to be running into a problem; I did everything (1st steps) in the guide and for some reason, when I try to see if the unit is in game at least, in mod manager it keeps saying that "this mod is from an older version of the game and it may crash". I double checked everything and it was fine. I dont know why its doing this. x.x

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

You got to read the FAQ man!

That warning doesn't actually mean anything, you can ignore it. All it means is that you haven't uploaded the mod to the workshop since the last patch. You have never uploaded it at all, so that's it
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    You got to read the FAQ man!

That warning doesn't actually mean anything, you can ignore it. All it means is that you haven't uploaded the mod to the workshop since the last patch. You have never uploaded it at all, so that's it
    O.0 oh...I thought it was something that I messed up somewhere. But...Wait...so...in order to continue I have to upload it?

Just click "Enable out-of-date mods" in the mod manager.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Oh right, sorry I didn't realise you couldn't activate it. Yeah enable out of date mods.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

I registered just to ask this, possibly more in the future, how can I mod existing units. i.e number of demi knights in a unit. Thanks a bunch.