Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Foederatus

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Hey, great tutorial, it's really opening up modding for me. I am currently slowly going through texturing as I want to be better at it.

What are mask files for? I noticed in the tutorial that some mask files are used but other parts only include the specular file.

Would I be correct in saying that I can leave them out because then the old vanilla ones will still get used?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsean12o07 View Post
    Hey, great tutorial, it's really opening up modding for me. I am currently slowly going through texturing as I want to be better at it.

What are mask files for? I noticed in the tutorial that some mask files are used but other parts only include the specular file.

Would I be correct in saying that I can leave them out because then the old vanilla ones will still get used?
    Masks give an armour piece it's faction colour. Parts covered by the mask will show the colours and the other parts won't. This is why, for example, clothing is covered while armour is not. In this tutorial I removed the masks for helmets so that I could have the feathers be yellow instead of red and blue. I didn't go into detail about them though since I'm unsure about editing them and didn't want to give people wrong information.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    You can do the tables in any order once you turn of the combo boxes option. It's in the tutorial and the FAQ,
    Omg rofl I never knew that, having to exit PFM and re-open it was always annoying. I guess there's always something new to learn.

Any idea if its applied permanently, or do you have to re-enable it if you turn your entire computer off and continue modding another day?

Foederatus

Thanks very much I think I understand, might play about with editing the masks and see what can be done.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    Omg rofl I never knew that, having to exit PFM and re-open it was always annoying. I guess there's always something new to learn.

Any idea if its applied permanently, or do you have to re-enable it if you turn your entire computer off and continue modding another day?
    It's permanent. I've only ever had to do it after installing.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Woah, I only last week tried to figure this out by myself with older tutorials and other peoples mods, but to no vain. Thank you for this! Amazing work! Now on to that unit I've wanted to make for a while...

Hello there. This tutorial has been very useful so far, however when it comes to editing the Rigid Model I get a problem:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What I did is replace the DDS file emp_demigryph_knight_altdorf_helmet_01_specular by my tcw_demigryph_knight_altdorf_helmet_01_specular (which is a perfect, untouched copy of the already existing emp_demigryph_knight_helmet_01_specular; I just had to change the name of the file to match the number of characters) in a copy of emp_demigryph_knight_altdorf_head_01.rigid_model_v2 I called tcw_emp_demigryph_knight_altdorf_head_01.rigid_model_v2.

I changed the entry for the specular DDS file in the rigid model file wherever the old name of the said specular DDS file occurred (it had to be done at 4 different locations, I believe). Yet, as you can see above, the color of the Demigryph Knight's helmet does not apply, as if the specular file was missing...

Any idea what happened?

Slashas's Avatar Miles

So i'm trying to make a new cannon for bretonnia. I can almost get it working, but the animations just don't want to work and it won't fire. The base is the empires great cannon so I'm guessing there's some animation table I've missed.

This is what happens:

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Dingkuhn View Post
    Hello there. This tutorial has been very useful so far, however when it comes to editing the Rigid Model I get a problem:

What I did is replace the DDS file emp_demigryph_knight_altdorf_helmet_01_specular by my tcw_demigryph_knight_altdorf_helmet_01_specular (which is a perfect, untouched copy of the already existing emp_demigryph_knight_helmet_01_specular; I just had to change the name of the file to match the number of characters) in a copy of emp_demigryph_knight_altdorf_head_01.rigid_model_v2 I called tcw_emp_demigryph_knight_altdorf_head_01.rigid_model_v2.

I changed the entry for the specular DDS file in the rigid model file wherever the old name of the said specular DDS file occurred (it had to be done at 4 different locations, I believe). Yet, as you can see above, the color of the Demigryph Knight's helmet does not apply, as if the specular file was missing...

Any idea what happened?
    It does look like the specular is missing. Are you sure you imported it into the mod properly? The specular dds needs to be added to the mod in the correct structure as well as the rigid model, like here:

Other than that all I can think of is that you made a mistake while editing the rigid model.

Quote Originally Posted by Slashas View Post
    So i'm trying to make a new cannon for bretonnia. I can almost get it working, but the animations just don't want to work and it won't fire. The base is the empires great cannon so I'm guessing there's some animation table I've missed.

This is what happens:
    Animations are handled in a column in land_units tables, if you give them the same animations as the empire canons then it should work. Did you use the trick of copying the empire canon values from the beginning and then editing them later? That can prevent a lot of problems like this.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Yes I did, I even did it two times just to be sure. This is how it looks like:

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

It's possible the problem could be with the models you used. Save your variantmesh somewhere and try pasting the empire cannons mesh in there to see if it works that way.

Hopefully it won't.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Do you mean the mesh for the crew? I did try to use the standard empire crew but that resulted in the same behaviour. Did I group them wrong somewhere maybe?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

They do the same thing when they use the empire models? Alright, that's a good thing then as it means the models aren't the problem.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. Matbe it has to do with values from the cannon rather than the unit, have you got a vanilla cannon assigned to the unit or did you try to make your own?
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Slashas's Avatar Miles

At first I tried to make my own, but I started over once i noticed this problem. So now it's vanilla cannons with just the projectile changed (new projectile works when choing vanilla empire cannon as empire) but my new bretonnian unit won't work.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Ok so you know the models work, you're using vanilla cannons and you have the correct animation? I'm really not sure what else it could be.

I noticed you have the helstorm animation, is there a different animation set for cannons?
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Slashas's Avatar Miles

I tried the ones for the hellblaster volley gun, same resault. But when I tried the one for the bretonnian field trebuchet thet atleast started moving like normal. However the crew is still stuck inside the cannons and it won't fire.

Last edited by Slashas; March 14, 2017 at 01:56 AM.

Slashas's Avatar Miles

This is weird, if I put it into the empires roster, it works with no problems!

EDIT: I solved it!! The problem was I needed to add the animations tables from this table "Culture_to_battle_animation_tables_tables"

and then change the faction from empire to bretonnia like this.

The crew is for the extra crew not operating the machine while great cannon is the 3 man crew shooting. After I added this everything works fine!

Working unit in action

Maybe this table is worth mentioning in the tutorial? If people need to transfer a unit from another culture
    Last edited by Slashas; March 14, 2017 at 05:25 AM.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Wow that's very strange! Something new in Warhammer. I'll have to take a look at this myself once I am back on my main computer next week and then I'll add it to the tutorial. Seems kind of dumb to me, why limit it by faction like that?

Also do the empire cannons still work after you've done that?
    Last edited by Sebidee; March 14, 2017 at 08:53 AM.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

It does look like the specular is missing. Are you sure you imported it into the mod properly? The specular dds needs to be added to the mod in the correct structure as well as the rigid model, like here:

Other than that all I can think of is that you made a mistake while editing the rigid model.
    I feel so stupid right now... I just forgot to import the renamed DDS specular file...

Thank you, and sorry; I shall be more careful next time before posting questions on the forum ^^'

Slashas's Avatar Miles

Wow that's very strange! Something new in Warhammer. I'll have to take a look at this myself once I am back on my main computer next week and then I'll add it to the tutorial. Seems kind of dumb to me, why limit it by faction like that?

Also do the empire cannons still work after you've done that?
    Sorry I misswrote there, I didn't change, I added lines with those animation tables but with the bretonnia key. Also tried it with different sets like zombies and it worked (with some slight ploblems though to them not having firing animations). So yes, the empire cannons still work because nothing changed, just added!