Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

maybe the imposter texture?

Hello, wonderful guide and template; helped me start modding and make a unit pack for Norsca. I was just wondering, could any please tell me what tables I need if I want to make a custom lord have access to items in custom games? Like say for example if I want him to be able to equip a Mark of Khorne like the Exalted Hero can. Thanks.

Hi, quick question. I changed the attribute group for Darkshards to the same used by Shades in my mod, but it's not showing up in game. other edits are showing up fine. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

Trying to fix typo in Regiments of Renown Compilation mod (which supposed to be very trivial task) with PFM.

Opening up mod file, navigating to "text > db > ror_vamp_loc" making changes in one of the Localised Strings, saving. When loading this mod again in PFM, changes appear to be saved, but in-game unit name still has typo.

What am I missing?

hey guys this is a perfect artificial because I wanted to make a Legendary Lord with a custom skin and everything but that isn't important right

I have just finished 1 map with two walled variations that are ready to be added to the GCCM pack...one of my map is unlink any other and adds walls to Norsca but to go with the theme of the faction and to work with the AI I gave Norsca Broken walls and custom 360% free standing short ranged towers that throw there javelins...these towers offer cover fire VS on coming melee units but will not help vs archers or artillery. the map works perfect wth the AI but theres one problem...when i upload my map it forgets my movie file therefor causing a crass on title launch.... When I add the movie back to my maps for the towers three db tables, the pack acts like i never added them...HOWEVER is the less then 1kb movie pack with the towers stats are inside the data folder, then the maps works! please help! the GCCM group is EU and its hard to communicate on discord with them

This is the Dwarf version...it works because i dont need to add a movie file for custom towers
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1457156809

this is the Norscan map...
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1457240245

I would really like to make more Norscan maps as i think its perfect for the faction so please help me If u would like to try it i can link u the Movie file on discordto drop in ur data folder

I think i need to add the rigged body or something but im not 2 sure

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    maybe the imposter texture?
    Do you by any chance know where to find the imposter models? I’ve looked in the variants file but I can’t find it.

Patrician Artifex

simple way to check: in variant table, remove the imposter from the column. Try again to zoom out

I have a question:
    I want to make a unit faction exclusive. I use the units_to_exclusive_faction table for this.

But what have i to do with the units_to_groupings_military_permissions table?

I have looked in several mods. And nearly every modder does this on the other way. I have seen mods, were the exclusive units are not in the groupings table and i have seen the opposite. I have also seen that there is only a groupings_table. I tried to change the mods in the version of other mods, but this causes always ctd.

What must i do? It seems there is not THE right solution...

@Steph: Do you familiar with GIMP? I have issue about armor re-skin for cold one mount. I had post the question for several weeks without getting any response. You can check the detail info at (#532, p27). I don't want to double post my question since it will violated the forum rule.

Thank you!

Patrician Artifex

What is your actual problem? If you located the files, you can edit it with gimp and change the colour. You didn't really asked a specific question.

@I was asking for someone help me to edit the armor map since I don't know how to use advance edit features of GIMP. BTW, I found the it is more than just re-skin job. I locate the map files of Dragon Prince as well but I there is no blue armor texture in any dds files. Instead it has regular metal armor pieces in diffuse map. In custom game, the color of armor part is changed with elf faction.(i.e: Lothren is blue, LoreMaster is red and Nagarythe is white). I guess it use some kind of mask like how unit icon cards work in Rome II, but the mask file couldn't be correctly loaded by GIMP (It is a blank image after loading). Thus I have no idea how to edit it.
    1.Diffuse 2.Gloss 3.Specular Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hef_dragon_prince_steed_01_diffuse.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	354497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hef_dragon_prince_steed_01_gloss_map.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	354498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hef_dragon_prince_steed_01_specular.jpg 
Size:	603.0 KB 
ID:	354499

Dragon prince steed texture as all have diffuse , specular , gloss , normal and mask files
    Diffuse are usually for unchangeable texture parts like skin, hair ( alpha channel) non team color-able cloth
    specular is metallic shine
    Gloss map is ammount of lightning reflection
    Normal is creating 3d effect
    Mask is team color-able parts , those parts use team color ( usually red blue green ) of the faction over the other textures to make them colored. To turn off those paint them black.

Though I use photoshop for editing , I tried gimp for normal textures but it didn't go too well.
    I got one modded dragon prince steed mask texture , if you rename it it will probably cause for model to loose team colourable parts and they will become gray and You can paint them blue on diffuse texture.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dm7a8a..._mask.dds/file

You will need to apply what You know for Cold One Mount , lizard skin cloth parts , metal plate parts , chainmail parts each decide how to edit them and apply those principle to get result.

You can use this image and make rough skech what You wish to change
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by kelembribor21; August 06, 2018 at 05:38 PM.

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

@kelembribor21 Appreciate for the explanation. I was always confuse with the features of different map files although I have rich experience of both 3Ds max and Photoshop. BTW, I googled this very concept art and used it for creating unit icon of my modified dragon prince.

I just couldn't operate the GIMP as fast as photoshop to perform the job, furthermore there are several functions such as brushing the selection area (shortcut "Q") and Colour Curve Modification I feel missed in GIMP. That's why I post the question here and I hope someone who is good at GIMP can help me.

@kelembribor21 You said u use photoshop for editing DDS files? How can u successfully load the file at first place? I tried the dds plugins but those stuffs doesn't work at all and the Photoshop give me a warning when it is launching.

I use Adobe Photoshop CC2015 (Win8 64) and I had to download dds plugin , I tried several Nvidia, Intel plugins and one other that I use , i found them searching around this site, I could look up but it was rather long time ago.

It was troublesome finding and installing right one for me, on one pc my Nvidia plugin works with normal map generation but on this it crashes Photoshop (Win 7/8 64) so I use sometimes gimp but it is much harder for me.

For cold one mount reskin to be as dragon prince armor, You can either paint specular white/ blue / gold and decrease gloss and lightning there
    Or copy specular armor to dds paint them there and darken specular to have less metalic look .

I use mostly number 1

Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!

Patrician Artifex

With gimp: the colour are transparent in the mask dds images. But you can still use the colour selection wizard to identify the different areas with different colours, and repaint each zone in full black, full green, full red.

And Export as BC3/DXT5 compression.

1- select the areas with a colour (ex click on top left with the magic wand).
    2- Use the colour selector to identify the colour of this selected area (often black for top left)
    3- Use the "fill colour" tool to colour the whole area with the same colour
    4- Repeat for the other areas.
    5- Save as BC3/DXT5 dds

You start with a transparent image. At the end you have black, red and green.

And it will work in game... Dragon princes with two different faction colours

Last edited by Steph; August 07, 2018 at 03:14 PM.

@kelembribor21: Appreciate for the information. I don't know Intel has its own plugin for PS as well. I had tried Nvidia and One from Unknown provider before, both of them didn't work at all. I checked the Nvidia official site and only dds plugin I found there was "Texture Tool for Photoshop".(It is an ancient plugin that only support up to CS6). The other one with anonymous provider only support x86 version.

I download Intel Texture Works Plugin through Intel developer zone (https://software.intel.com/en-us/art...e-works-plugin), and it works like dream

BTW, I'm running PS CC2015.5 x64 from Win 10.

Diffuse are usually for unchangeable texture parts like skin, hair ( alpha channel) non team color-able cloth
    specular is metallic shine
    Gloss map is amount of lightning reflection
    Normal is creating 3d effect

For example: Gloss maps of Dragon Prince Steed and Cold One
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hef_dragon_prince_steed_01_gloss_map.jpg 
Size:	129.4 KB 
ID:	354535Click image for larger version. 

Name:	def_cold_one_01_gloss_map.jpg 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	354536
    Looks like all the Gloss maps are composed with red and black color. After comparing the different texture section of 2 Gloss maps, the fastest way for adjusting lightning reflect level I can think so far is using brightness/contract tool. If u have any better idea, pls let me know. Thank you!
    Last edited by crusader_yn; August 10, 2018 at 12:10 AM.

@Steph: Thanks for the tuition. Now, I can open the mask maps using PS after installing Intel Texture Works Plugin and it clearly show the different area of mask (With red, green and black).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hef_dragon_prince_steed_01_diffuse.jpg 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	354534Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hef_dragon_prince_steed_01_mask.jpg 
Size:	278.5 KB 
ID:	354532

I think the red area is what faction color gonna implement on the model texture while what those tiny green area define for?
    BTW, can u remind me how to send Full Size of image instead of Thumbnail?
    Last edited by crusader_yn; August 09, 2018 at 08:13 PM.

Patrician Artifex

In the faction_uniform_colours table, you have the default colour for all units of this faction. You can override it in unit_variant_colours, if you want one specific unit to have different colours from the default. IT's even possible to have a mix: like half the models in a unit with red colors, the other half green.
    That's used mostly with Bretonnia.

See here: some have green trousers and cape, a few have it red.

In these two tables, you'll find primary, secondary and ternary colour. With 3 columns for it, with R, G, B component (careful CA had the very smart idea to use RGB for faction_uniform_colour, but BGR for unit_variant_colours).

From your mask:
    - every area in red- RGB (255,0,0) will be replaced in game by the primary colour
    - every area in green - RGB (0,255,0) will be replaced in game by the secondary colour
    - every area in blue - RGB (0,0,255) will be replaced in game by the ternary colour. I'm not 100% sure for this one. I didn't use it and I'm not sure there are actually blue in the masks. Maybe a leftover from older game, maybe worth checking.